Springfield XD Forum banner

large hands and XD SC

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  jdavionic 
#1 ·
Anyone else own an XD subbie (any caliber I guess, for the purpose of CCW) AND have larger hands? When I hold my gun w/ two hands, my strong hand's pinky doesn't have room to be on the frame (grip), so it rests under the 10 rnd mag. Granted, my other hand helps support the gun and stabilize me, but I'm wondering if the "dislocated" pinky could be causing a problem for me. Does anyone else have larger hands but own a subbie? If so, how do you hold your gun if all your fingers don't fit around the frame (grip)?

Also, I read the "AIMED Point Shooting or P&S For Self Defense" article on the internet (link below) and that person (based on P&S method) holds his gun differently: use the index finger (placed just below the slide) to "point" at the target, and squeeze the trigger w/ the middle finger. I tried that grip/hold with my XD-9 subbie, and it felt good. With this "new" way of holding the gun, my pinky can be grabbing the frame, too instead of under the mag. Then the other hand helps support the whole thing. It felt more "stable" and a stronger hold for me.... I haven't tested this method at the range yet. Anyone use this way of holding their gun?

Maybe my original holding method is a flawed way to hold the gun in the first place. Maybe I should invest in a grip extension? Or always use the high cap mag (w/ the 3/4" sleeve) for the XD. I do have one of those that came w/ my gun, and can easily grip the whole frame w/ all my fingers, but thought it was a good idea to only use the standard 10 rnd mag since I'll be CCW eventually.

Any ideas on improving my gun holding method, and to hear what others w/ larger hands and a sub-compact handgun do to get that perfect hold would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: The article on P&S is located here: http://www.pointshooting.com/ps.htm

See less See more
#2 ·
I have big hands and found that the Pearce Grip extensions work great on my XD-40SC. Not to big for CC and provides room for your pinky finger. Good luck, Don

You can find them at /www.xd-hs2000.com/grips.htm

#3 ·
#7 ·
+1 on the Pearce Grip Extension. I thought that it might print a little with the extension but it hasn't been noticed yet. I get family members that catch a glimpse when my shirt rides up when I'm sitting and they find it amazing that they haven't noticed that I was carrying up until the point when they saw it.

#8 ·
as a demonstration, i had my coworker buddy who is 6'2", 330#, grip my xd9sc with no magazine inserted (yuck), then i put in a mag with the pearce extension, he was amazed how well it fit his mitts.

dn
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc

#11 ·
Dave I was just practicing some dry fires w/snapcaps and happen to notice my grip was not quite lining up w/barrel. So I tried slipping my middle finger into the trigger w/ index along frame, and I noticed no movement on dry firing. So Sat. I tried it on the range and was shooting some of my tightest groups that way. You just have to really concentrate on gripping with your bottom two fingers, otherwise you'll fire the gun with a tight middle finger grip. Try it, I'm going to check the site you were talking about. Even though I did it due to my small hands and short fingers, on the 4'' 40 xd, I can definetly see it coming into play on the shorter handled compacts. It also keeps you from milking the grip with your other fingers on your trigger pull.

#12 ·
Dave, another +1 for the pearce grip extension.

As far as the strong hand grip, I would make sure that you practiced that specific grip 110%. When TSHTF, you don't want to pull and end up sticking index and middle fingers in and getting jammed on accident.

will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.