Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home after work around 2 am I spotted a large animal in a field near where I live. I could not believe what I saw, it is a large coyote or wolf. I have never seen a coyote this large. It's land that's been for sale for ever. I hate to admit it but I drove 30 yards into it to get a good look at it with my head lights. Didn't seem too scared of my pickup either. I grew up in Michigan where coyote are scared of people even kids. A year ago, My friend a near by neighbor had his old dog hooked up outside and his dog was surrounded by 5 coyotes. He heard his dog cry out for help and ran to its rescue and the coyotes ran off.

Are coyote in indiana getting large or did I see a wolf? Have coyote become less scared of humans and more likely to attack dogs etc??

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Coyotes on the eastern side of the Mississippi can get pretty big (especially in the Midwest it seems). I've personally seen coyotes who've been taken that exceed 55-60lbs. Wikipedia says the largest recorded coyote ever harvested was 74.75lbs and 63" from nose to tail.

I wouldn't doubt it was a coyote, but they have also been reintroducing grey wolves all over the place. Anything is possible, and it would not be the first time.

Gray Wolves killed in Indiana Missouri Read this - PredatorMasters Forums

My area had a black bear sighting just a few months ago. Pretty crazy how far some of these animals will migrate to establish their own territory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Coyotes in Indiana that are forced to live around people are bolder than those in less populated areas. Furthermore they are just about everywhere in the state. Hamilton county for example, is having a big issue with coyotes and that isn't farm country anymore. Also coy-dogs, a sterile hybrid, can look very much like a coyote and can be much bolder...and bigger.

Thanks for posting the link about the wolf. That is just east of me about 40 minutes and I had not heard about that. Crazy that a wolf traveled that far.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Coyotes can and do live in urban areas and they will pack up to take down large prey.
Here some coyotes stay packed up year round .
In Minnesota we can hunt them year round day/night . No license needed.
Can you legally hunt them by your house? If so , That yote would be collecting a .223 round.

Reactions: Kevo9mm

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I am in Lorain County in Ohio. One evening at dusk, my wife and I were driving and exiting the highway. There were 4 or 5 cars exiting ahead of us on the exit ramp. As I looked up I saw a large animal walking toward traffic on the left side of a two lane exit ramp, about 4-5 feet from the pavement. I tapped the brakes and slowed down to almost a crawl because at first I thought it was a small deer and you know how deer can decide they want to run right in front of you. It was definitely a coyote. Didn't even look at us, but this one was huge! About the size of a Great Dane. Don't know what it was gonna do once it got to the fork between the highway and the exit ramp, but couldn't stop because of traffic coming up behind us.

They are definitely used to people. We have had two in our yard less than 50 feet from the house. The one time my wife saw one in the yard and she went out to "shoo" it away because we have feral cats we feed and she was worried it was trying to get one of the cats. Said she was about 15 feet from it before it turned and walked away from her. Gave her hell for not taking the gun with her when she told me about it.

So yes. It may have been a large coyote you saw and not a wolf.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coyotes in Indiana that are forced to live around people are bolder than those in less populated areas. Furthermore they are just about everywhere in the state. Hamilton county for example, is having a big issue with coyotes and that isn't farm country anymore. Also coy-dogs, a sterile hybrid, can look very much like a coyote and can be much bolder...and bigger.

Thanks for posting the link about the wolf. That is just east of me about 40 minutes and I had not heard about that. Crazy that a wolf traveled that far.
Well it could have been a hybrid. I have never seen a coyote stand so tall. It was also built more like a wolf than a coyote. I got as close as 30 yards to it with my pickup. I got my headlights on it, put the truck in park and pulled out my stream light to look at it. I did not see a coyote bushy tail either. Its hard to say.
When I walk my dogs at night I always carry because of the two legged preditor, but with coyotes and wolfs getting less afraid of humans you never know.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coyotes can and do live in urban areas and they will pack up to take down large prey.
Here some coyotes stay packed up year round .
In Minnesota we can hunt them year round day/night . No license needed.
Can you legally hunt them by your house? If so , That yote would be collecting a .223 round.
I was slightly tempted to shoot it. I was only 30 yards in front of me by the time I got on foot. I had my XD40 subcompact my daily carry. If it was not near homes and the freeway I probably would have shot it. I have a ruger 10/22 thats ideal for smaller coyote, but is always used for gopher in michigan. For the most part I have a 22 and a 270 winchester but nothing in between. I would not mind a 223 or something else of similar power.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Don't live near you, but they can get REALLY big.

I have 2 pictures taken from my trail cam that I superimposed over each other from one of photobuckets old editing software programs and you may be surprised to see how big some coyotes can get.

Also, it has been proven that coyotes and wolves may mix.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Seen them up to 60 pounds in Texas. That's a big coyote. They indeed can change their behavior and hunt in small packs, despite normally being shy, individualistic animals. I have seen a few of them pursue a calf in unison.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Coyotes can cross breed with domestic dogs. They are a very dangerous hybrid since they don't have a fear of man.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Here is something interesting. Coyote dog crosses (coydogs) are sterile like a mule so they can't reproduce and water down the coyote bloodline. Also, during hard times the coyotes will kill and eat the ferile dogs first, again...going right back to a pure coyote pack. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Here is something interesting. Coyote dog crosses (coydogs) are sterile like a mule so they can't reproduce and water down the coyote bloodline. Also, during hard times the coyotes will kill and eat the ferile dogs first, again...going right back to a pure coyote pack. Pretty amazing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415854307.370270.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,301 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I saw one at night in my back alley. I was walking to the quickie mart at the end of the block and I see it coming towards me. I thought it was a dog at first. As it approached it slowed and I realized it was a fairly large coyote almost the size of a german shepherd. I never took my eyes off him as we passed within three feet of each other. I could see he was sizing me up (I'm 5'5"). I felt like a piece of meat but that is nothing new haha! They get healthy with all the pet food left on the back porches around here. Or they just eat little fluffy too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts