Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Kelty Redwing all the way!! I have a Redwing 50 as my BOB and it is outstanding. lightweight, good suspension system, good storage space and pocket layout, easy to adjust, has good waistbelt and is reasonably priced in my book. Plus Kelty has a long and very good track record of producing quality product and standing behind them with good service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the Redwing have any ties on the outside for a sleeping bag? 50L seems like a good size for a get home bag or a 72 hour kit. I just want to make sure I have a place for my sleeping bag.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Does the Redwing have any ties on the outside for a sleeping bag? 50L seems like a good size for a get home bag or a 72 hour kit. I just want to make sure I have a place for my sleeping bag.
it has 4 tie points on the bottom ot the bag. Also has some daisy chain loops down the back of it. Either of those should be able to tie on a sleeping bag with little trouble.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I have two of the LAPG operator bags and they're great. I use one as a go-bag for some stuff I do at work, and another is my general backpack for the gym and work items going back and forth. It's well made and very spacious. The MOLLE holds up well, even though it's only utilized on bag 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Am I correct to be looking in the 50 liter range?
I think you'd be fine with 50L. It's about 3100 cubic inches. For 3 day bag I think it works. I wouldn't try to do a multi-day backpacking/camping trip out of it, but for a relatively short term BOB it should be about right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you'd be fine with 50L. It's about 3100 cubic inches. For 3 day bag I think it works. I wouldn't try to do a multi-day backpacking/camping trip out of it, but for a relatively short term BOB it should be about right.
As long as you have a plan to get food after several days, you will be fine. You just need to pack multi use items.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
As long as you have a plan to get food after several days, you will be fine. You just need to pack multi use items.
Agreed, and my kits contain a lot of multi-use items. saves weight/space, and simplifies the whole system. My main objective with my kit as it is now is to get out of a disaster zone to a safer area. It's meant to last several days, and is designed to get me from a risk zone, to an area where services and infrastructure is still functional. It's not meant for surviving through the apocolypse, more of a short-med term kit. I don't worry much beyond that because if the world REALLY goes to crap permanently, I'll be dead as soon as I run out of insulin anyway as a Type 1 Diabetic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think I can find a way to poke a hole somewhere, if needed, for a couple of cords with which to tie on a sleeping bag. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A sleeping bag is for camping. To get home you wont be camping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts