Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have to retract any good things I've said about the Lancer Mags. Considering they are more expensive than PMags, I expected at least the same amount of quality. Unfortunately these Lancer Mags should really cost like $5.99 each.

The instructions are written by what seem like a 3rd grader with dyslexia. Even crappy products are packaged nice with decent instructions. They state to clean out the inside of the mag with CLP, but don't lube the inside of the mag??? How can you use CLP to clean the inside of a magazine, yet not lube the inside:roll:

The follower gives way to horrible tilt, they really need an anti-tilt follower or the spring should actually be turned around before connecting to the follower. It's actually worst than any G.I. mag I've ever used in regards to tilt both fore and aft.

You can't insert the mag if you load all 30 rounds in it. Even with 29 rounds you really have to bang it home. It also shifts around a little more than other mags, at least in my Armalite M4.

The worst thing for me is that my Lula Loader will not work with it, mostly because of the large degree of tilt...bummer!

I won't completely bash them, the two nice aspects are:
1. The polymer is tough enough for it's job, much tougher than aluminum

2. The metal feed lip is a nice addition, since they could have gone with
the polymer to save money.

However, I did run into feeding and tilting problems during functioning today. I have 2 other of these Lancer mags still in package that I will probably sell or trade for G.I. or PMags.
Live and learn :rolleyes:

I'll try to get a pic of the horrendous tilt that it incurred

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Before you chuck your new mags, try this trick. If you have the old style followers this will work. Open the mag and pull the spring and follower. Take the spring and open up the distance between the coils. Yep, literally bend the spring.

You want to increase the curvature of the spring, expecially in the top third or sooss. Especially soosss in the first coil...what you want to do is have the first spring coil contact the rear of the follower. Right now the follower pivots on the spring.

You want to modify that sooss the follower is supported both by the first spring coil as well as the stock pivot point. See what you are doing? You are fooling the follower into being supported by the first coil. This should stabilize the follower somewhat. Should last about 5 reloads or sooss.

This is not a permanent fix. However, if your mags are junk and the followers are collapsing to the rear, this might help. We did this with cheap G.I. aluminimumiummm 30 rd mags that were junk, but all we had to use. This fixed somewhat the bolt over base stoppages. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's pics of the tilt and another that shows how the spring is already putting the follower in the wrong position. Kinda like HBCJ is saying, it needs to be bent to level out the angle:

Seems like if they were going to go to all the trouble and make a new mag, they could have followed the leader and made an anti-tilt follower:roll:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Mine will insert without unusual effort with 30 rounds and a closed bolt.

Sucks yours are giving you problems, hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't have any of these problems with the one that I own. I have loaded it with 30 rounds and shot it twice.

I have a different follower though, its green.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here is a pic of my Lancer broken down. The follower looks the same as yours, but is green.

If I try, I can get my follower to stick in the body like your pic above. Even so, I have loaded and shot with it twice, both times full to the brim (30 rounds), and it was fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a bunch of these mags - all have green followers and all function perfectly. I wonder if these were earlier production? then again 2 of mine are pretty old relatively speaking. Maybe contact them and explain your issues.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There are three generations of Lancer followers:
Gen I: green
Gen II: black - these were developed to cure to failure to lock the bolt open on the last shot
Gen III: the new improved followers should be out next month

·
Registered
189 Posts
It sucks that you had a bad experience w/ lancers, that being said alot of people have had great experiences with lancer mags... Seems like your jumping the gun just calling them junk. I have shot with several lancers and they have performed flawlessly, and they feel sturdy to me. Also never had a problem w/ a 30 round closed bolt load.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sucks that you had a bad experience w/ lancers, that being said alot of people have had great experiences with lancer mags... Seems like your jumping the gun just calling them junk. I have shot with several lancers and they have performed flawlessly, and they feel sturdy to me. Also never had a problem w/ a 30 round closed bolt load.
How can you say I'm jumping the gun:?: I just got back from the range with them and and posted why they are crap. I attached pics and gave details as to why they are a waste, especially since they cost more than GI or PMags.

I contacted their customer service and I can't talk to a real person or get a return call/email. This was the day they arrived from AIM, many days before the holiday. Seems their customer service is as bad as their grasp on the English language per their instructions.

I'm glad they work for you, but I don't want another member to get ripped off like I did. So this is a post w/ pics as a buyer beware. If you want to take a chance with $20, go ahead, but I've had issues. Just because you can run over them with your truck, just because people are buying them, doesn't mean they function properly.

If you want the 3 I have (2 still in package) I'll sell them w/ free shipping since customer service won't step up to the plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's pics of the tilt and another that shows how the spring is already putting the follower in the wrong position. Kinda like HBCJ is saying, it needs to be bent to level out the angle:

Seems like if they were going to go to all the trouble and make a new mag, they could have followed the leader and made an anti-tilt follower:roll:
If you are loading the mag does the follower tilt? If you are using the mag as it is intened to be used, does the follower tilt?

I laugh at every "user" that gets a new mag and pushes down on the follower and says, " Hey, it tilts." Of course it does. The mag wasn't designed to run with your finger or a pencil puching down on the follower.

Use the mag as it is intended and you will have better results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Black followers were created due to Bushmaster rifles not being able to hold the bolt back after the last round. As fas as I know, this was only an issue with some Bushmasters.

Black followers will not work in mags that came with green followers.

The Lancer mags were designed with cooperation with Colt. They were designed for use in mil spec rifles.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I would be interested in trying them out if there was no such thing as a PMAG. Maybe one day PMAG's will have metal feed lips and will truly be the ultimate AR mag.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
+1.

I'd certainly run them through their paces if somebody gave me some of the Lancer mags, but as far as buying them...I'll stick with PMAGs that run 100% in all my rifles without any issues whatsoever and are cheaper (even with recent "inflation").

1 - 20 of 22 Posts