Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did do searching this time and seems that the thing is between Lancaster or Arsenal. Any new updates on their quality? All the negative stuff I've seen was back a few mths. Have they changed any?

this is what I'm looking for.

Lancaster <= This is exactly what I want in an AK
East Coast Firearms - Gallery page

Century Arms

http://eastcoastfirearms.com/gallery/default.asp?Image=RI1188-N.jpg&Page=&parent_id=114&child_id=156&is_gallery=0

What I want to know is, is it worth it? What I like in an AK is the Lancaster Russian Red. I love the color and everything else ( pretty much a standard AK though ) but what I'm wondering is... Would it be cheaper to get a 350 dollar WASR and re-do the furniture to Russian Red. Or is the Lancaster worth the 300 bucks extra? ( Does the Lancaster have better components? etc? )

Thanks!:lol::lol:

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
which myth? the century angry monkeys, paid in bananas when they slam a gun together ?

its luck of the draw i have been reading on both a couple differnt options .... one being a 5.56 galil supposedly contracted out to Ohio rapid fire that folks on various ak boards said is supririsingly good, compares favorably to IMI early 80's galil that cost 3 times as much ... so i dont know.

century cetme, century FALs i have read many many many horror stories, few say they are ok deal if you can sort out the problems yourself.

If not its a bad value.

lancaster i haven't really read much if any bad about them at all.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Check out Henderson Defense too, they are WASR AKs but have been "certified" so they dont haev all these canted parts.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
don't buy a WASR w/o personally inspecting it first. I shopped around and saw about 6 before i made up my mind. they are great rifles though.

IMO, i cannot justify spending more then $600 on an AK, diminishing returns.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so,

What you are all saying is done go with the Lancaster russian red. Get a WASR ( century arms? ) and re do the furniture myself?

I just noticed that Century does not have any WASRs instock...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
its luck of the draw i have been reading on both a couple differnt options .... one being a 5.56 galil supposedly contracted out to Ohio rapid fire that folks on various ak boards said is supririsingly good, compares favorably to IMI early 80's galil that cost 3 times as much ... so i dont know.
Not sure what you're reading, but something is obviously wrong with the ORF Galils

The AK Files Forums - Galil back from ORF

The AK Files Forums - ORF Galil's

As far as Lancaster vs. Arsenal/WASR/Saiga, the Lancasters are made from parts kits. You may get a parts kit that was originally a rifle that never left the gov't warehouse, or your parts kit may have come from a rifle that laid in the ditch next to it's fallen bearer for months....

A blast job, park and paint cover up a lot of stuff.

I'd check out Henderson Defense Industries and get a certified WASR. The prices in your linked pages are crazy.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
ok so,

What you are all saying is done go with the Lancaster russian red. Get a WASR ( century arms? ) and re do the furniture myself?
it's your loot man. WASR's are cheaper, but much more rough around the edges, the lancasters are refined, but pricey... they both go BANG each time you pull the trigger.

I have a WASR and a Yugoslav M70. the yugo is much more refined then the WASR, but just as accurate and reliable.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Not sure what you're reading, but something is obviously wrong with the ORF Galils

The AK Files Forums - Galil back from ORF

The AK Files Forums - ORF Galil's

As far as Lancaster vs. Arsenal/WASR/Saiga, the Lancasters are made from parts kits. You may get a parts kit that was originally a rifle that never left the gov't warehouse, or your parts kit may have come from a rifle that laid in the ditch next to it's fallen bearer for months....

A blast job, park and paint cover up a lot of stuff.

I'd check out Henderson Defense Industries and get a certified WASR. The prices in your linked pages are crazy.
thanks i was trying to say that on some boards they got good reviews, i think it was arf.com ... about 90% sure. some board that woudlnt let me register with a yahoo email.

i just found about akfiles this week from reading on FAL files. Mark is the man on fal files, i would trust mark all the time. I dont think he would do anyone wrong (consumer that is, no fear in trashing bad vendors or manufacturers) which i like, he doesnt bite his tongue.

check pms i want to ask you question with out derailing this thread.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yeha im not 100% into the looks. But I mean are the WASRs THAT bad? Or they looks just used. Can and or do they come rusty? Broken pieces?

I was on Centerfire systems and can someone tell me the difference between these two guns?
Romanian WASR-10 AK-47 7.62x39 Rifle
Romanian AK WASR-10 7.62x39 Rifle

They seem to be the same...

also what model WASR do I want, then 10?
The $379 model is a straight out WASR-10. No flash hider (no threaded muzzle), no bayo lug, just milsurp mag capable.

The $399 model is the WASR-10/63. These are made with bayo lug, have a threaded muzzle with muzzle brake and are shipped with a bayonet (besides the normal stuff that ships with any WASR).

All WASRs are made in the Cugir factory from all new parts. Some of the parts did not pass military QC, but that fact does not prevent them from providing a lifetime of civilian grade usage.

The primary reason folks don't like WASRs is that they're "cheap". In the case of the Kalashnikov, "cheap" runs as well as the overpriced jobs (the cost for manufacturing any AK is under $100 - this goes for the Bulgarians, Russians, Romanians, any countries Kalashnikov factories - why does Arsenal charge so much?).

There are three different basic WASR models.

The WASR-10 (named for it's proprietary 10 round magazine) is in 7.62x39 caliber.

The WASR-2 is in 5.45x39 caliber.

The WASR-3 is in 5.56x45 (5.56 Nato / .223 Remington) caliber.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
ok so,

I just noticed that Century does not have any WASRs instock...
henderson defense has a russian red option for +$30. Lancaster comes with the G2 trigger which eliminates trigger slap, HD doesnt have that. Got my lancaster for 640

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
my WASR has trigger slap and i must say, its annoying...my YUGO has a g2 trigger...smooth as butter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cant you just replace the trigger with a tapco?( or any for that matter. I dont know much about these yet ) How hard is it to replace the trigger if I were to get a WASR/

Checking out said Henderson site.

And will the 399 model make it to Maryland? Im not sure on MD's laws concerning AKs, I think on AIM or another site it says:" Will not ship to Md."

Thanks a bunch guys

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
henderson defense has a russian red option for +$30. Lancaster comes with the G2 trigger which eliminates trigger slap, HD doesnt have that. Got my lancaster for 640
HDI WASRs come with G2 FCGs across the board.

Century has been using G2s in all it's imports and kit builds for about 2 years now.

Lancaster advertising that fact that it uses G2s is like General Motors advertising that it's cars come with headlights.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
HDI WASRs come with G2 FCGs across the board.

Century has been using G2s in all it's imports and kit builds for about 2 years now.

Lancaster advertising that fact that it uses G2s is like General Motors advertising that it's cars come with headlights.
my wasr does not have a g2 trigger..i find that odd, unless it's not marked.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nalioth,
So all AK's from Henderson HAVE the g2 already installed, even though it is not noted?

And I was over at Henderson, and they have these ( Tactical Gear, Equipment and Weapon Systems : WASR Carbine In 7.62x39mm (SINGLE STACK) ) SUPER cheap $299 but its single stack.. Is it hard to modify these to double stacked? And is it easy to put on a muzzle brake? ( The only difference between the bottom one and this one, is no muzzle brake, and bayonet ( which I have no use for. )

then there is this one ( Tactical Gear, Equipment and Weapon Systems : Century "Certified" AK47 with bayonet and pouch ) and for 449 I can get it in russian red. And if this has the g2 already installled, then there is even more money saved. Versus the Lancaster at 600... make no sense.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
my wasr does not have a g2 trigger..i find that odd, unless it's not marked.
If you bought it recently, it may have been sitting in a warehouse for some time.

Nalioth,
So all AK's from Henderson HAVE the g2 already installed, even though it is not noted?

And I was over at Henderson, and they have these ( Tactical Gear, Equipment and Weapon Systems : WASR Carbine In 7.62x39mm (SINGLE STACK) ) SUPER cheap $299 but its single stack.. Is it hard to modify these to double stacked? And is it easy to put on a muzzle brake? ( The only difference between the bottom one and this one, is no muzzle brake, and bayonet ( which I have no use for. )

then there is this one ( Tactical Gear, Equipment and Weapon Systems : Century "Certified" AK47 with bayonet and pouch ) and for 449 I can get it in russian red. And if this has the g2 already installled, then there is even more money saved. Versus the Lancaster at 600... make no sense.
It's pretty easy to hog out the mag well on the single stack WASR, and some prefer to do it themselves so they get a tight magazine fit (the Century monkeys taking quick, wide swipes with their grinders is the reason you hear so much about "mag wobble" in the WASR). You will still have to buy and install at least 5 US made parts to bring it into 922r compliance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ohok, so it may be the best bet to get the one that is 449 ( its the second one above )

Is that a decent one for backyard shooting? Any info on Henderson? I havent came across them yet ( or atleast I dont remember ) during me looking around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts