1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong here but isnt there a difference between .223 and 5.56?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ah ok, just curious. I thought this to be true as I read a lot of postings about it and when I finally got my AR, the caliber on the side of the gun said "Multi"

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
Ah ok, just curious. I thought this to be true as I read a lot of postings about it and when I finally got my AR, the caliber on the side of the gun said "Multi"
What's stamped on the barrel...or perhaps a better indicator, who is the manufacturer of your rifle/barrel?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
My DPMS has 5.56 on the lower, but has. .223 barrel. I can only shoot .223 in that upper.

You can't go off the lower, you have to go off the barrel

Like Cuda said, what does the barrel say?

·
Registered
90 Posts
What's stamped on the barrel...or perhaps a better indicator, who is the manufacturer of your rifle/barrel?
i'll have to look for a stamp on the barrel but imagine it would be the same as the barrel, lower, etc are all orignal. It's a Remington R-15.

·
Registered
90 Posts
no stamp on the barrel as far as numbers go. only stamp I saw was a very small picture of a crown.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
i'll have to look for a stamp on the barrel but imagine it would be the same as the barrel, lower, etc are all orignal. It's a Remington R-15.
Might just be a .223. You mentioned your lower said "multi", that same lower could be used with .223, 5.56, .204, 6.8, 7.62, 9mm, .45ACP, and a whole bunch more.

Always identify the chamber in the upper which should be stamped on the barrel.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
Since it's actually made by DPMS, it's definitely a .223.

If it were mine, I'd steer clear of 5.56.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Since it's actually made by DPMS, it's definitely a .223.

If it were mine, I'd steer clear of 5.56.
This is my thinking here.

I made the mistake to when I bought my DPMS, it said 5.56 on the lower so I assumed, the barrel is .223, oh well just have to get an upper then.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps more that you ever wanted to know about the differences between .223 and 5.56: The Gun Zone -- SAAMI on 5.56 v. .223 Remington

I called CTD to clarify which ammo this is and it is the 5.56 ammo, not the .223. I've corrected the title of this thread.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Might just be a .223. You mentioned your lower said "multi", that same lower could be used with .223, 5.56, .204, 6.8, 7.62, 9mm, .45ACP, and a whole bunch more.

Always identify the chamber in the upper which should be stamped on the barrel.

I know where your coming from but honestly as thorough as Remington is I would be shocked if this was the case. I'll have to pull up their website and look.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
Everything that I've ever seen with the R15's says .223; I've never seen them mentioned as 5.56.

Which makes sense, as it was conceptualized from Remington to be a sporting rifle, and .223 would be the sporting caliber.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I know where your coming from but honestly as thorough as Remington is I would be shocked if this was the case. I'll have to pull up their website and look.
Yeah, you and Cuda are right about Remmy, I guess I just got into general AR mode and made a genral statement not to trust what a lower says and to always check the barrel/chamber.

Thanks for the additions guys

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Found what appears to be a pretty good deal on Lake City 62 grain 5.56 at Cheaper than Dirt. $11.19/30 rounds on stripper clips.

Here's the direct link: AMM-249 - Ammo 5.56 NATO Lake City XM855 62 Grain Penetrator SS109 30 Round Box on Strippers

You won't find it using the search function on their website.

Note: I have no affiliation with CTD.
37.3 per round plus shipping is an ok, but not a stellar priced. I've recently seen Ammo cans filled with 420 clipped lake city green tips for about 36.7 shipped, but ended up getting zinc plated steel cased 62gr soft points for 24 per round shipped.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
37.3 per round plus shipping is an ok, but not a stellar priced. I've recently seen Ammo cans filled with 420 clipped lake city green tips for about 36.7 shipped, but ended up getting zinc plated steel cased 62gr soft points for 24 per round shipped.
Please share next time your find such deals.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL ... had an interesting "discussion" with CTD today. I took a closer look at their product listing after the .223/5.56 discussion came up on here yesterday. The listing was titled 5.56 NATO, but the description was all about .223. Some of you may have seen it yesterday.

Based on the potential confusion, I contacted CTD by phone and ascertained that this was, indeed, 5.56 NATO and not .223. The person on the phone suggested that I reach out to CTD via their Contact Us form if I was concerned about the potential confusion.

Here's the content of the message I sent via their Contact Us form:

I placed an order yesterday for 600 rounds of your e-mail special NATO Lake City XM855 ammunition (AMM-249). After doing so, I let a couple friends know about the special. They took a look at the product listing and were confused. The product title calls this ammo 5.56 ammo. The product description calls this ammo .223 ammo. As I'm sure you are well aware, rifles chambered for .223 only cannot/should not fire 5.56 ammo. You might want to clear up the confusion by correcting either the title of the product listing or the description. I can only imagine the lawsuits if someone buys what is described as .223 ammo (when in fact the ammo is 5.56) and damages their rifle. Fortunately, my rifle is capable of firing both .223 and 5.56. Best wishes.
The response I got from their Product Tech:

Hi Toby
Thanks for contacting CTD. The 5.56 and .223 are used interchangeable - .223 being the generic term, 5.56x45 for specific product description. I appreciate your coment.
My reply:

Neither the rounds nor the terms are truly interchangeable. It's true, some rifles are specifically manufactured to fire both commerical .223 and military 5.56. However, this is certainly NOT the case with all rifles and is most likely not the case with the bulk of rifles available to civilians today.

SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute) has tested and confirmed that chamber pressures in a "sporting" rifle may be significantly higher in the same gun when using military 5.56 ammunition - as opposed to commerically manufactured .223 cartridges. The throat configuration of "military" rifles is different from that of sporting firearms. Military chambers have a long leade. SAAMI chambers are tighter and have a comparitively shorter leade which retards the projectile somewhat as it is attempting to exit the case. The resulting additional pressure can damage the rifle and, potentially, injure the shooter.

I have been a long-time customer of Cheaper than Dirt and this is the first real concern that I've had with any of your merchandise. However, given the gravity of the situation - potential property damage and injury - I would strongly suggest that you clarify the description of this ammunition on your website.
The response I got from their Product Tech Supervisor:

Thank you very much for your concern. We are currently reviewing all our ammo descriptions for these discrepancies.

I apologize for any confusion this has caused.
The description is changed now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts