Springfield XD Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Respectfully. A great Survival Library. Hard copy paper books? All good. All doable. And here is why it MIGHT be a sense of false security? Might. This answer will upset folks. If you have the intelligence, you will know WHY you may be upset. This post is designed to make you think a bit.

First off an excellent post. Lots of time and effort. Excellent. Now, how much of this have your memorized? A little bit? Some? All of it? Wow. All fairly good. Now how much of all of this is pertinent to your survival situation and detailed plans? Just why are you collecting all this information?

Are you trying to establish a comprehensive survival library so perhaps sometime in the fuzzy near or far future somebody might possibly use that information? Who? Why? How? Infrastructure? If you survival group has evolved to that level, then more power to you and I stand corrected.

But ... if you are just the casual survivalist with no real infrastructure or hope of succeeding after any number of possible major disasters, then maybe you are wasting your valuable time? Could such endeavor and effort be better used doing other useful basic things? The A, B, C's?

What you have done is very good. Information for information's value is always excellent. But ... and this is important, perhaps you have developed tunnel vision? Focusing upon just ONE very small aspect of the Survival Mindset at the expense of 90% of everything else?

Example. Close to home. We really screwed up. We made mistakes. Started out by taking the Master Gardener's course from our local junior college. A good presentation. So we thought. Then we went out and bought up all the necessary gardening survival books.

Then prepared the big garden space. Yards and yards of top soil. Bought proper seeds. All the hand tools. Water. Everything. So we thought. What we did not have was the EXPERIENCE and WISDOM on how to grow basic stuff in our location. About 43N, 123W. Kinda.

We failed. The garden did not produce. We tried the next year. Failed again. It was only on our third, (3rd) try did we manage to grow enough as a "test bed" to satisfy our food needs. Had it been for real we would have starved to death. My point is you have to do it repeatedly.

Knowledge ONLY from some data base will kill you so dead. You must experience and exercise that knowledge. Information sitting on some shelf is worthless. You must understand and know what to do via actually doing it. Sometimes repeatedly. This is our EXPERIENCE. Yikes!

Rant complete. You gotta DO IT repeatedly to get it right. This means everything you expect to do after some major catastrophic event. Book knowledge does not cut it. You must experience it. Over and over. Get my feeble point? Been doing this since 1987. Still failing. Respectfully.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HB, I don't see the harm in accumulating an organized collection of both paper and e documents. You can't memorize every aspect of prep info; it's impossible to do so.
Having a collection of accurate information for reference may ultimately be of little use if electronics are fried, but there are plenty of scenarios where the info could be of use.

·
Super Moderator
22,057 Posts
I miss AZXD.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts