Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PREFACE: I am 30. I am also very well-read, skeptical, a bit cynical, generous, patient, courteous, conservative, and moderately forgiving. I am also very modest and self-effacing.

HERE'S the STORY: My best friend and I went to our basic pistol class this past weekend to attain certification for our OHIO CCW application. It was the second time he's ever shot. I have been shooting for 25 years. Anywho, I figured that there'd be a cowboy or two in our class. Well, there were. Seriously, this one fella couldn't let the instructor say two things in a row without interupting. He had to chime in with his $.02 every 30 seconds with that grating tone that implies with an attempted subtlety that he knows more than we do. My friend and I have enough self-esteem to be able to keep quiet, but it was extremely testing. Sorry if I sound like I have a bad attitude, it was just a very long day. The upside was, we concluded with lots of shooting!! :D

p.s. I was using my XD-40, my friend had his XD-9. When they came out, the instructor said, "You guys have Glocks?" Uh, yeah....

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
My instructor also said "is that a glock? oh wait it's got a grip safety." Other than that, he was pretty knowledgable, and our class only had 6 people.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I had that one time happen. I was the instructor and even now I am only 25 this was a year ago and an older gentleman kept interrupting and carrying on to the point I was loosing the attention of the others. Remember you always have to be nice and respectful and keep a professional manner. Well I took advantage of the situation and stopped what I was doing and asked the student to shoot a group of 10 rounds at 15 yards. He shot it and 14 made the USPSA target and the rest looked like a shotgun hit it. The gentleman smiled and was happy he mentioned that bad guy is dead and the rest of the class agreed. So still professional I said lets now take it to the next level I fired my 10 rounds and made a group in the a-zone about the half the size of my fist in half the time the gentleman took. He shut up and so did his buddy, I also earned the attention of the class. Now you should never belittle anyone so I re holstered and went up the the gentleman and used him to show proper stance and grip the rest of the class followed.

G

·
Unfortunatley, i think every class has a few of these people. In my class we had this guy , just like all the ones yall talk about. He had seen, heard,and done it all. We are all about to puil our hair out. But we kept our cool and kept quiet. We got to the range and it was astounding what he did and incredibly stupid. We were doing our firing drills, and he dropped somthing or just had to go down range for some reason. For those of you who havent taken the class you do several rounds of shooting at diffrent time, at least thats how they do it in texas, but anyways their is always a few that take longer than others. He stepped out down range and people at the other end some even close to him began to fire. I just loked over and seen his face when people were shooting. The instructor asked if he had a death wish. Its just amazing how those people THINK they know everything but dont have the common sense not to go down range while people are shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we're on the subject. How well do you have to be able to shoot in a ccw class?

I'm not terrible, but I am still all over the target. I sure would like to get my class over with so I could start the process. I guess I'm a little worried everyone will be shooting groups while mine looks like I'm shooting a shotgun as Ajames put it.

I'm in oklahoma has anyone taken it here recently?

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Ring, really it depends on the standards, if you look at most police quals they have to hit around 70 and most of them look as if they were shot with a shotgun. In all honesty there are several steps the first being able to hit the target for some people that's enough and the gentleman was correct he hit the target. The problem though was that there were vary novice shooters that I was trying to teach and it was an interruption, I proved the point that even though young I could handle my own and at the vary least know something that's valuable to pass on to others. And at the end of the class every one was able to get 10 rounds at 7f in 10 secs on a white paper plate.

About accuracy for ccw this is what I tell every one. You have to remember every round you throw down range has to hit something. And out in the real world it could be the bad guy or an innocent child playing a block away. be as fast as you can but stay on target. Try the 10-7-10 drill, don't worry about the distance if it seems close. If you cant shoot close then it just gets worse the further out you get. Or heck hang up a paper plate pick your distance and make it a goal to keep them on the plate. When you can keep them on the plate work up some speed, and then add some distance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
RingMonster said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we're on the subject. How well do you have to be able to shoot in a ccw class?

I'm not terrible, but I am still all over the target. I sure would like to get my class over with so I could start the process. I guess I'm a little worried everyone will be shooting groups while mine looks like I'm shooting a shotgun as Ajames put it.

I'm in oklahoma has anyone taken it here recently?
Good to see you want to take an active part in protecting you, your family and friends by applying for the ccw, but you may want to be starting the process the wrong way. Learn to shoot well and under poor conditions first, then apply to carry. Like ajamesp51 said, that round has to hit something. Take the class to learn better shot placement and gun control first, worry about whether or not you qualify later.

Keep shooting and take a friend.

As for the thread, the only way to shut those people up is to out shoot them and out score them on the testing and then "teach" them that if they listen next time they too may be able to reproduce the results.

And that may be a long shot. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is one in every class. Don't get me wrong now I don't know everything, but what I do know is how to shoot, so when Minnesota passed it's carry law I started teaching classes, and after about the third class with at least one know it all in every class we came up with a plan. The other guy I was teaching with is a USPSA Master class limited, and I'm just a lowely A class limited and limited 10 shooter so we started showing videos from matches we had shot at the start of the classes. When Mr.know it all sees you mow down a row of poppers on the move then pull off a 1.4 reload and take care of a pile of papper targets he isn't so quick to question your ability.
Now I'm having flash backs. I think when it'stime to renew I will just pay some other fool. I'm done teaching.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yup that happened when I took my class too. The wannabe rambos would hijack the class every few minutes with their wild hypothetical situations and talk about all the stuff they know. They'd throw in their little quips all the time, 'shoot 'im dead', 'beat the rap but not the ride', etc etc...

·
Registered
556 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Try the 10-7-10 drill, don't worry about the distance if it seems close.
Ooh, do explain.

The requirement for "passing" the range time for my CCW requirement was painfully easy. Six shots on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at fifteen feet. I'm pretty sure I could do that with darts, let alone a pistol.

-James

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The classroom portion of the CPL class that I took earlier this year was taught by two local police officers, both somewhat easy going yet assertive enough that everyone in the class behaved themselves. I know that type that rgourdy1975 refers to, yet either the cowboys were not present or had the common sense to keep their mouths shut.

As far as the practical portion of the class went, most of the time was spent on 8-1/2x11 paper at 7 to 10 feet (I know it was well inside of the 5 yard line). It seemed counterintuitive at first that tight groups with double taps and multiple shot strings were actually frowned upon, since it implied that you were shooting fast enough. Once it dawned on me what the intent of putting as many shots as fast as possible in an 8-1/2x11 area is, it clicked.

I don't recall what the pass/fail criteria was, but I do not recall anyone failing. There was certainly a variety of experience levels in my class and I kind of thought it odd that roughly half of the class of 12 needed to rent guns for the practical portion of the training. Mine was the only XD (my instructors did recognize it as such) and it kind of surprised me that there was only one wheelgun in use by any of the students.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually apply for my CPL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DJhunter,
It's not really so much that I'm in a hurry to get my ccw for protection. ultimatly that is my goal.
The main reason I'm wanting it at this point is so i can carry my gun in my car at all times that way I could stop and practice anytime I want or had spare time.

I guess as long as I can keep them on the target I would be alright ?
I guess i could quit being lazy and call a local instructor and see how well I need to be able to shoot.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
The 10-7-10 is some thing I made up the numbers can really be anything.

10 rounds at 7ft in 10 sec on a plain paper plate. I say a paper plate becuase if you can hit the plate 100% then you can hit center mass. The numbers give you goals and allow you to see progress. If you can start out hitting the plate 100% then add a couple of feet or drop a second this way your always challenged but you dont see the whole big target as a target only the paper plate in the center. Its makes it a game to try to beat the times, and distances, but remeber just becuase you do 100% once can you follow that up a second time?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll have to agree there is at least one of those in every class. When my dad and I went for our permits, the range provided the guns and the ammo for qualifying. They had Ruger MKII's for us to use. I was more than happy to use their gun and save my ammo. I was comfortable with my .357 so no need to show it off. Anyways there were a few people that had just bought their guns and weren't real comfortable with them so he showed them and let them qualify with their guns. Then "Tackleberry" breaks out his gun. You know the one. The .44 Mag 10" barrel with scope. The instructor looked horrified of the thoughts of this knucklehead shooting that thing at an indoor range. The guy was bound and determined to qualify with it. The guy shot it and did fine, but the instructor insisted that the guy qualify with a gun with iron sights and explained that the 44 wasn't a good choice for a carry gun. When it was all said and done, he barely passed. He got the minimum score to get your permit. On a side note, my dad and I were the two best shots in the class, but the old man still got me by 1 round. He taught me everything I know, but apparently not everything he knows.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Taking my class this Sunday. I fully expect to be the clueless noob that can't hit the target. :(
My understanding of the AZ qualification is 5 rounds at 5 yards and 5 rounds at 10 yards. Gotta get 7 of 10 inside the 2nd ring of a tq15 target. That's a 14" x 16" area.

UD.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
My class had a couple, but the instructor (local cop) finally mentioned that even if you pass the test, the instructor can give you a bad recommendation and you won't get your license. That shut them up. They started getting cocky again when we shot, but then the instructor pointed out to them that my wife out shot them with a Glock 17 she had never seen before, and they shut up and went home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I took my class at Red Castle Gun Club in Sand Springs, Oklahoma last September. The instructor never even worried about scores or accuracy. You start with some dry fire drills, then a few runs shooting five rounds at 3 yards. Then you do a couple timed runs of 5 rounds in 5 seconds. Targets get moved out to 9 yards. Same thing as before, but the timed runs are 5 rounds in 10 seconds.

The instructor is basically looking for your ability to handle, load and fire your handgun as well as your observance of safety rules. It really is a joke of a qualification, I wish it were tougher. There were people in my class that passed that, frankly, it scares me to think they may be carrying a weapon in public.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Taking my class this Sunday. I fully expect to be the clueless noob that can't hit the target. Sad
You shouldnt have a problem passing the shooting test. It is really easy. In my class the instructor said almost no one ever misses too many to pass and if they did he let them take it again until they passed. Everyone (about 30 people) passed in my class first try. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts