Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knife Rights Sues New York Over "Vague" Knife Law

Second Amendment defender Knife Rights has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit to stop New York City from arresting law-abiding citizens carrying pocket knives.

The lawsuit challenges New York State law on "gravity knives" and "switchblades," and New York County District Attorney Cyrus Vance's attempt to mischaracterize the most widely-owned pocket knives in America as contraband. The case seeks a judicial determination that the law is unconstitutionally vague as applied to these ordinary pocket knives.

"District Attorney Vance is trying to advance his political career by exploiting a vague state law to demonize common pocket knives," says Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter. "In the process, hundreds of law abiding knife owners are being arrested and Vance has extracted nearly $2 million from retailers to avoid prosecution on bogus charges. This lawsuit intends to put a stop to Vance's abusive and unconscionable civil rights violations."

"One-hand opening pocket knives are legal tools, used and carried every day by millions of law-abiding citizens for work, recreation and self-defense," said Ritter. "Shame on D.A. Vance for demonizing common tools and turning honest citizens into criminals for purely political ends."

Two private citizens, John Copeland, an internationally acclaimed artist, and Pedro Perez, an artist and fine art dealer, both New York City residents, have joined Knife Rights as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The defendants are New York County District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr., the New York State Attorney General, and the City of New York. Knife Rights is represented by attorney David Jensen. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

FYI

Ed

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
WTF is a gravity knife?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
WTF is a gravity knife?
I think it's like a "barrel shroud, thingy that goes up...." It's whatever they want it to be.

It's supposed to be, a knife where you hold the blade and it can be opened with the aid of gravity pulling on the handle. Which covers a LOT of regular pocket knives.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
Another one wanting to control the people, District Attorney Vance is on a power trip

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are extremely legitimate uses for single hand open knives. I read a testimonial for Spyderco knives from a machinist. The shop was cold one day and he was wearing a jacket. One of the sleeves got caught, but he was able to get his knife with his other hand, open it, and cut the sleeve away before his arm was sucked in. Had it been a two hand open knife, he might have lost the limb or worse.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There are extremely legitimate uses for single hand open knives. I read a testimonial for Spyderco knives from a machinist. The shop was cold one day and he was wearing a jacket. One of the sleeves got caught, but he was able to get his knife with his other hand, open it, and cut the sleeve away before his arm was sucked in. Had it been a two hand open knife, he might have lost the limb or worse.
+1 there are definite legitimate uses of knives in multiple scenarios and of multiple makes and designs. As far as I am concerned, The burden of legitimacy is on them to tell me why I can't own a kind of knife, ANY kind of knife. It's a fricking knife! A tool...nothing more or less.

Why do I need to justify to these morons why I can have one? All these laws do is pigeon-hole good people as criminals. These morons need to go away.

·
Registered
324 Posts
+1 there are definite legitimate uses of knives in multiple scenarios and of multiple makes and designs. As far as I am concerned, The burden of legitimacy is on them to tell me why I can't own a kind of knife, ANY kind of knife. It's a fricking knife! A tool...nothing more or less.

Why do I need to justify to these morons why I can have one? All these laws do is pigeon-hole good people as criminals. These morons need to go away.
The ultimate goal is to make every action, item, thought, etc. illegal. Then you can choose which laws to enforce, and which social group on which to enforce them.

It's a totalitarian dictator's dream come true!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts