Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am considering a pocket knife. I have carried a Buck folding knife, with a few light/small tools on it, for many years. I am considering getting a pocket folder with a pocket "clip". Can anyone direct me to a good quality knife for not much money. I would prefer one with a quick opening or spring assisted. I am cheap and am hopeful I can find something in the $20-40 range that will last as long as my trusty Buck. I want to keep a light in my left pocket, knife in my right and XDSC40 on my hip.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
In that price range for an assisted opener I can think of two brands - SOG and Kershaw.

The Kershaw Blur and the Vapor models can be had in that price range I think. Wal-Mart has some Kershaw models if you want to go get a feel for them.

In SOG I'd look at the Flash models.

Online http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/ has a decent selection of both Kershaw and SOG.

I tell you something though, I can deploy my CRKT Crawford/Kasper Folder just about as fast as an assisted opener thanks to the thumb stud and I was able to get an awesome deal on it brand new for 16 bucks from Ebay. It'll typically run $45 or so. The CRKT M-16 series are good knives and fast openers too thanks to the little flipper that they have. Anyway, if you do get a few different models in mind check around on Ebay too.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
FWIW, I just did a few searches at Ebay for "CRKT" "SOG flash" and "Kershaw knife" and there are lots of pretty good but it now deals for under 30 bucks.

brad cook

·
Registered
821 Posts
I keep a Spyderco endura in my right front pocket,
and a CRKT M16-13Z in my left pocket. I can deploy
the spyderco alot faster and more naturally than I can
the CRKT M16.However I have had the spyderco for a
long time and only had the CRKT for about 2 months.
I bought the CRKT M16 for $24 on sale at big5
The spyderco was bought on sale for $39.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys. Just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Dwweeb_5150 said:
I keep a Spyderco endura in my right front pocket,
and a CRKT M16-13Z in my left pocket. I can deploy
the spyderco alot faster and more naturally than I can
the CRKT M16.However I have had the spyderco for a
long time and only had the CRKT for about 2 months.
I bought the CRKT M16 for $24 on sale at big5
The spyderco was bought on sale for $39.
I can't seem to work that spiderhole as fast as a thumb stud myself and I definitely can't work it as fast as a flipper. For me those flippers on the M-16s are about the fastest way short of a switchblade to get a knife open.

brad cook

·
Registered
206 Posts
m16 +1

I bought a m16-03z for my dad and I like it better than my EDC M16-10ke. His is nice and hefty, no serration, and quick opening.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I feel that everybody that carries a gun should also know how to use and carry a knife. In addition to supplimenting the gun, the knife can serve as your main weapon should you not be able to carry your gun due to restrictions. I carry an Emerson Kerambit, right front pocket weakside and my SC9 7:00 strongside (lefty). I am a Filipino Martial Arts instructor and we train with this type of blade.

The "wave" line from Emerson are some of the fastest opening folding knives out there. The have a little hook that catches on your pocket when you pull it out that opens the blade. Faster than an auto or assist opening as you do not have to manipulate a button or thumbstud. Another benifit of the Kerambit is its finger loop design, under stress, its easier to get your finger in the loop and give'r a yank. Also, I feel if I have to pull my knife in a defensive situation it will probably be in close range, the Kerambit falls naturally in reverse grip position which I prefer for CQC.

Drawback is they are mucho $$$$ but I have seen cheap knockoffs ripping off this design but you get what you pay for.

http://www.1sks.com/store/emerson-knives-combat-karambit.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I have been reading and looking into both the Kershaw Blur and the SOG Flash. Can anyone give me any feedback about these knives? Do they both have lock blades? I like the deep clip on the SOG but I like the little classier look of the Kershaw. Can anyone attest to their assisted opening, etc?

Another thing, what about blade length? My trusty Buck has a 2" blade and it is fine, so I am thinking anything longer than 3" may be too much. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Shorty, I carried an SOG Pentagon before my current CRKT. It had, I believe, a 4" blade. The extra length does make it a bit more bulky but I never had any problems wearing it. The blade quality was good and it held an edge. The SOG does have a bladelock and I'm pretty sure that the Kershaw does as well. I think the lock engages automatically when the blade is deployed on both of these. The SOG Flash blade is either 3.5" or 2.5". 3.5" isn't too long IMO. I like the ergonomics of the handle too.

The 440A blade of the Kershaw and teh AUS-6 blade of the SOG are pretty comparable as far as steel goes.

For that price range I think either would serve you well.

brad cook

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have to make achoice between a Kershaw or SOG Flash I would take Kershaw. I looked at the Flash and wasn't impressed. Also look at Benchmade (Redline series) and Coldsteel (Voyager) for low cost decent quality blades. Gerber (Covert and Mini-Covert) are good as well.

The Timberline Wortac is another good inexpensive blade designed by a fellow Filipino Martial Artist Kelly Worden.

Pretty much with any of these knives you can learn to wrist-snap them open.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I've been carrying a Gerber Air Ranger for several years.

I'm no knife pro, but this knife has served me well and it can be had for around $40, I think.

Check your local laws before planning to carry any of the assisted openers like the Kershaws. They may be considered switchblades and are illegal ....like in North Carolina.

bd

·
Registered
298 Posts
DigMe said:
Arnisandyz said:
I looked at the Flash and wasn't impressed. .
What did you not like about it?

To me, it didn't seem like it would be very durable, it seemed like it had a really thin blade, the sample I handled had some blade play at the lock and the spring assist was weak. It could just be the sample they had in the store. Maybe the Aluminum one would feel more solid? SOG makes some great knives but the Flash is my least favorite. That being said i hear there is a simple mod you can do to them to make them full-auto, so if thats your thing its a pretty cool gadget knife.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
CRKT +1

·
Registered
821 Posts
DigMe said:
I can't seem to work that spiderhole as fast as a thumb stud myself and I definitely can't work it as fast as a flipper. For me those flippers on the M-16s are about the fastest way short of a switchblade to get a knife open.
brad cook
I have had the spyderco for so long I don`t even think about
it when opening its like and extension of my hand.To me it seems
as though the clip on the CRKT is on the wrong side of the knife.
I can have the spyderco out and ready blurringly fast.
It takes me substancially longer to get the CRKT to business
ready.I am probably just lame and need to practice more.
The CRKT is a damn good knife for the price.I have the
CRKT as a back up.Maybe after carrying it for 5 years or so I
improve.Maybe sometime I will try a cold steel or benchmade
knife.You can`t have too many knives or guns.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I have a boker automatic, push a button and it's open. It's about 5 years old, used it for work for 4 years +/-.
If you get any spring assisted knife, you may want to take it apart and have a spare spring made for it, I had this done for about $3.00 after owning it for about 2 years. 1 year later, my spring broke, but I had a spare, that I had a copy made of again. Save you some trouble down the road.

just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 45 Posts