Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
That is the funniest thing I have read in a while.

Thanks for the laugh.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Agreed the article is lame.

But ... it IS an improvement from past statements made up by whomever. Used to be don't worry, no problem; then three, (3) days: now two weeks.

Slowly but surely, they are coming clean with us in the Pacific Northwest. Our reality in SW OR USA is that it will be many months before ANY help.

Doesn't seem to affect those of us who already know including our former good guy County Emergency Services Director. He said at least 6 months.

Josephine County Oregon. But our major focus this time of year is that ever present threat of a fast moving wild fire. Three, (3) close calls since 2001.

The mega thrust earthquake may not happen in my remaining lifetime. But my family intends to remain here for a long time indeed. Perhaps generations.

Thus the family long term concerns. Flexibility is the key. Multiple exercised plans. Redundancy. It's the little things one forgets about that bite hard.

42N 123W. Kinda

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
People assume in a disaster that all the power plant workers, cell phone providers, water purification engineers, and natural gas plant workers all remain in place and working 24/7, with mebbe the highway patrol ferrying them coffee and donuts. All those disaster movies show great cell coverage, so why not. Uh-uh. That guy in front of you along the highway shoulder, trying to get to his family? He's the guy who used to run the electrical grid.
Make your own plan, and prepare accordingly.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Unrelated to the article being discussed but over 40 years ago in a small very good fire department the round table discussions indicated that even then one could expect over a 50% AWOL situation following a BIG natural or man made emergency.

During the first critical 12 hours or so following whatever no body would be at the fire stations? Or at the very best only one half what would be normally expected? We had recall general orders with specific recommendations. One half would obey such.

This means instead of running an even 50 fireman absolute minimum staffing city wide, Firefighters would stay away from the job to protect their own families. Only 25 maybe? I kinda doubt things have changed much since 1972. Maybe worse today?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Make your own plan, and prepare accordingly.
? I kinda doubt things have changed much since 1972. Maybe worse today?
Two great ideas or suggestions for when a huge disaster hits, mad-made or natural. Not having anyone other than myself to look out for I could be one trying to help others but honestly depending on how large or potentially severe and long-lasting such a thing might be I might be better advised sticking closer to my own home.

Lately it does seem large areas hard hit are much more common than I recall in days past. Could be news coverage is better but even so large fires, floods and high wind damage is on the up swing occurrence and severity-wise.

Living here pretty much in the middle of Ohio we've not been too hard hit by weather like that hitting so much of the rest of the country. Last big problem was about 10 years ago where my small area was without power for about 4 days. Other parts of the general were without for much longer, some areas never missed a beat---all within a few blocks apart in some places.

The "shelter in place" thing works for me, but again I have no family to be concerned about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts