Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after taking my XD357 to the range a few times I started to realize it may be wise to pick up on of those fancy 9mm conversion barrels. I ordered an EFK unit along with a 18# spring to replace the 24# spring I have in the gun.

The barrel and spring showed up and I attempted to fit the barrel, everything was smooth but I could not get the slide back on. After talking to EFK and checking out a useful doc sent out by them I found out where I needed to remove a bit of material. I took my dial caliper and found every piece was the same spec as my factory barrel except for the the bottom. It was five thousandths bigger then the factory barrel. So over the next few nights I removed the material with a half dozen emery boards. I finally got it close fitted it again everything was nice and happy, but still a bit tight so i decided to do to take a bit more off because it was a bit stiff still. While putting it back together again I also installed the 18# spring, which was slightly different then both of the other springs because it was longer and fully coiled at both ends, I contacted the vendor about this before using it, and he said that it is totally cool to use and he likes them better because they are coiled on both ends.

So i slapped it all together things were nice, the 9mm's were feeding perfectly (though I never fired any, just cycled them through manually.)

So I go to disassemble everything now, lock back the slide, flip the lever up, pull the slide back again, dry fire it, and the slide one come off.... it slides about 1/3 the way and clunks and stops. It will not budge at all.

Anyone have any tips?

I've tried reversing everything, and sitting there for a few min racking the slide, everything seems fine except for last few mm, the slide does not go as far forward after racking it, but when i manually push the slide forward with my thumbs, the cocked indicator comes out the rest of the way and is normal.

I hate breaking things :oops:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sounds like you put the spring in backwards. I did the same thing and had a heck of time getting the slide off. Check the XD-HS2000.com forum there is a thread about getting the slide off can't off hand remember what they recomend. I gave mine a good smack on the back and it came off. If nothing else PM ajames he knows how to fix this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very possible that it is in backwards, but from what I could tell there was not backwards / forwards on this spring, both ends looked identicle unlike the 22# and 24# springs I have where one end is coiled and the other looks cut.

·
Registered
149 Posts
frist off I do not really know that much, but I would out everything back together and then when you try to take the side off trun the gun upside down.

It sounds like the barrel is hitting somthing before you can pull the side off.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Another option you might try is to freeze your XD. The metal in the barrel will contract slightly and it may give you enough clearance to remove the slide if indeed the barrel is the culprit.

Just don't lick the slide when you pull it out of the freezer! :shock: :lol:

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i did that just few minutes ago. My dad (agalindo) let me try his new wollf on my xd 9. I decided to see if my slide would fit on his .40 frame and i put the spring on backwards. oops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this problem a couple of times and my spring was in the right way. What happened to mine was some how the first coil on the spring slipped over the flange of the guide rod.

I had to force the slide open with quite a bit of pressure but it did not seem to hurt anything..

To fix it I just took a pair of pliers and squeezed the diameter a little smaller on the flat double coiled end.

Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Being that both end of the spring are coiled, I don't think it over lapped the head of the guide rod. This problems comes up often. Turn the gun over and smack it on the palm of your hand, trying to get the rod to seat into the barrel. After that, just keep racking the slide. It will come loose.

OS

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I held the gun backwards while in takedown mode and gave it a good rap on the carpet.

</img>

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
sintax
So i slapped it all together things were nice, the 9mm's were feeding perfectly (though I never fired any, just cycled them through manually.)
Not a good practice. Maybe do it at the range, but then you would probably be shooting anyways. Cycling live rounds at home is a no no

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hobocircus said:
sintax
Not a good practice. Maybe do it at the range, but then you would probably be shooting anyways. Cycling live rounds at home is a no no
I totally agree with you fully. I was outside in the backyard with the business end pointed at the grass. I assure you I was not sitting in my lazy boy with it pointed at my kids room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the tips guys, i'll give it a crack tongiht when i get home.

agalind: excellent work on the visual ;)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Did you have a magazine inserted? Try dropping it out before whacking it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
agalindo said:
I held the gun backwards while in takedown mode and gave it a good rap on the carpet.

</img>
God damn you are a stud! I'd buy you a lap dance if you were here right now. That thing budged first try. It came off so easy I did not even think it did come off at first.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I have a Barsto barrel that needed some fitting in that area. I laid a couple of pieces of Scotch tape in the locking block to test the fit. The two layers added about 0.004" to the block and are soft so they do not cause problems if the fit is too tight. I worked first until it just cleared, then added one piece, then the second. This let me creep up on the dimension while keeping it tight. Why keep that dimension tight? I dunno, it just seemed right.
I set up some wet-or-dry on a piece of glass, then a block of wood to hold the barrel at the right height. This let me shape the lug without "rocker" and with good control of the finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts