Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to own a rifle sometime next spring. I really would like a M1A preferably Socom 16. Before I get one I would like to know of any direct competitors of the M1A. Also is the M1A a SA product or do other companies make M1A rifles (example 1911 pistols)

Competitors of M1A?

other companies that make M1a or similar rifles?

Prices? (budget $1100 but would prefer something in $800-$1000

So far the other rifles ive seen that i like are the Ruger Mini 14 tac and Kel-Tec SU-16C

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You can find older federal ordnance M14S and you have the chinese made Norninco/polytech that can be had for less than $1K but the chicom rifles need to have certain parts replaced in order to make them decent so I would just avoid them all together.

If you really want an M1A/M14, and you are working with an $1100 budget, save a bit more since most M1A's can be found in the $1200-1600 if you are patient. Besides with the chicom rifle you could easily be spending that much after bringing it up to snuff.

Check out http://m14forum.com/ for all your M14/M1A questions and needs :D

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
The M14/M1A platform was designed for the longer barrel. My Saiga .308 AK has a 16.3" bbl and it can be unpleasant to shoot. Too much muzzle blast and double ear protection is required to be fun. When shooting the 21" bbl FN LARs and M1As, only a good pair of ear plugs are required. Might be a small thing to some, but to me with only limited hearing left it is a BIG THING. Expect to pay around $2000.

It's funny how gun collectors go around around and around. Years ago I owned a really nice Smith Enterprises MIA which shot around 1" @ 100yds with handloads with iron sights. I sold it. Darn! Your accuracy may go away with the 16" barrel; it depends upon many factors. About the only other rifle that comes close to the M1A is a nice FN LAR with also a 21" bbl. HB of CJ (deaf old coot) what? :)

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
The M14/M1A platform was designed for the longer barrel.
And then redesigned to function with a 16" barrel in the SOCOM 16 you mentioned. They are about $1,600 new though, it's worth it to save a bit longer for one.
As far as competitors for a 7.62 semi-auto "battle rifle" I considered the FAL, FN FNAR, POF-USA P308, and SCAR 17H running about $1,800, $1,475, $2,500, and $2,900 respectively.

In comparison the SOCOM 16 was a steal despite the FN FNAR far superior accuracy for less money.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I purchased a Socom 16 a few months ago and I am very happy w/my purchase. Very accurate (only shot out to 200yds. so far). Only downside I see is it's very loud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts