Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does not get that cold out here in SW OR USA about 35 miles East of the Pacific Ocean. Has gotten down to minus 10F, (-10F) but usually our maximum low temps are around +15F. A little snow. Any specific recommendations on good, full size, (I'm 6'2" and 220#) sleeping bags? These will NOT be back packed or people portable that much.

They only have to stuff into a very large duffel bag. Less than about $150 bucks if possible. The Sportman's Guide has some on sale, but I have no knowledge or experience with what they sell. They do not have to be that waterproof. We have been keenly disappointed in the past. Recommendations based upon actual use? Thanks. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I use a military three layer system. I'm not positive but I think it protects to -10. Seen them on eBay a while back. I don't remember how much they were but I think they were cheaper then I thought they would be.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
This is what you want. REI Radiant Sleeping Bag
  • $119.39 – $131.39

REI is a great company to buy from and it you dont like it or it does not work for you down the road you can return it, no questions asked...

Most of my equipment comes from them.;)

Also get a good mat to go under it to keep the cold off the bottom

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
I like moving my legs around too much to get one that restrictive. I know "you don't sleep in them so much as wear them" but I think I would get a little claustrophobic.

I've seen a few North Face bags at Field & Stream that are around $150 - $200.

Regardless, going down to 0*F will be more than $200.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I like moving my legs around too much to get one that restrictive. I know "you don't sleep in them so much as wear them" but I think I would get a little claustrophobic.

I've seen a few North Face bags at Field & Stream that are around $150 - $200.

Regardless, going down to 0*F will be more than $200.
I have plenty of wiggle room in my bag. Its not as bad as most think. Also you conserve heat this way

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
I have plenty of wiggle room in my bag. Its not as bad as most think. Also you conserve heat this way
I have a Furnace from North Face but it's only rated to 20F. Worked pretty well on the AT but that was mid October.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
hands down the military 3 system sleeping bag.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
i dont have any specific recommendations, but i can say from my own experience;
get a newer synthetic material, not cotton that collects moisture.
and if you put a mat under the bag it will make it softer, and insulate you from the cold ground.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
oh! one more thing, get a 2 person sleeping bag, and put something warm and giggly in it.
she will help you stay warm for sure.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
big and heavy... Look into new technology, things that ultra lite hikers use.
for what it is, I realy dont think you can bear the price. especially staying dry.

Reactions: HB of CJ

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I love my Kelty Cosmic Down 20.

550 fill. Kept me warm in 18* overnight. Packs small and light. A steal at $100.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I do use the military 3 bag and as someone has indicated it is on the heavy and bulky side. But I have had since 99, I live in FL and I like the system. Used they can be found around 150.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts