Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not want to start a revolution but how would y'all rate the Kimber vs. the XD SC in terns of a carry piece? There is the obvious price difference and the fact that the XD can be broken down and cleaned much faster without the use of tools?
These are both fine pistols, just looking for feedback. I would maintain my .40 for the range but I am leaning for the Kimber Pro Carry II (possible) as a carry gun? Any comments?
:?:
THX

JDW

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I just went through the Kimber threads and it's a pretty high maintenance piece. I think I'll start with a conversion 9mm barrel for by .40 and just get an 9mm SC.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have both the XD40 and a Kimber .45. The kimber is a highly accurate gun and is well built, but you get a little belly lint on it and it can be a bit testy. The xd you can drop it in the sand pick it up and fire it without a hitch. That is the big difference between a well built target gun and a well built tactical gun. The tactical / military type models are not the most accurate but they are built to work in the worst conditions. If your just going keep the gun in your sock drawer, the kimber looks great next to your cuff links.

·
Registered
43 Posts
TRYZUB said:
Wow, I just went through the Kimber threads and it's a pretty high maintenance piece. I think I'll start with a conversion 9mm barrel for by .40 and just get an 9mm SC.
High maintenance in what respect? I don't consider my Kimber any more high maint than any of my other guns. When I shoot it, I take it apart, clean it, lube it and put it back together. I do exactly the same thing with my XD. Yeah, I pay a little attention to it because of the nicer wood grips and such, but that bling is a choice and under normal use it's not even an issue.

I guess it's really a matter of how you're gonna use it. I would trust the XD to continue to function reliably in more harsh conditions (mud, sand, high heat and 100% humidity). Really though, are you going to be taking it into desert warfare and deep jungle insertions or just carryng it in normal conditions?

The Kimber will probably be heavier and when carrying lighter is definately more comfortable. I like both my XD and my Kimber, but I carry my XD and Glocks because of weight. But for range use I don't consider it any harder to maintain than any other and I love to shoot it. That's just me though. There's plenty of room in my heart for many different guns and, fortunately, they don't seem to get jealous when I have more than one. :D

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
1911`s in my experence especially small 1911`s are hit or miss. I hve shot some that work great others that well a little belly lint and they are testy as sated before. The 1911 is really small a far as width goes so thats a major plus.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I switch between my Kimber Ultra Carry II S/S (aluminum frame) and my XD-40 subcompact for carry. My Kimber is 26 oz vs. 20.5 oz for the xd. That is not a significant difference. The Pro Carry is the 4" barrel. It would be significantly larger than the XD-SC. The size of my two pistols are about the same.

The weight issue is not with the gun itself, but rather with the weight of the ammunition. I am carry 135 gr. Corbon hollow points in my SC, and usually 230 gr. winchester sxt in my Kimber. If you do the math, the loaded Kimber would be about 30% heavier a loaded SC. But if you have a good holster, the weight problem will be distributed without a problem.

The maintenance of the Kimber is not an issue. Compared to the SC, it is sightly harder. The XD is probably the easiest gun to strip down. Kimber's just take a little bit longer, but not an issue.

Both guns are extremely accurate. It just takes practice.

Obviously, there is a significant difference in price. But once you feel the workmanship, you'll know the reason.

Smaller 1911's are very sensitive. They just require a little more caressing.

There is nothing wrong with switching between both.

·
Registered
103 Posts
TRYZUB said:
I would maintain my .40 for the range but I am leaning for the Kimber Pro Carry II (possible) as a carry gun? Any comments?
I have this exact problem (almost): my 9mm XD Service vs. my Kimber Pro Carry II. Both bought within a month of each other last fall, the XD bought because it was an awesome deal but I knew nothing about it (and it fit).

I carry my XD every day, and my Kimber is at the factory getting it's inability to feed 230gr FMJ reliably, and 185gr not at all, fixed.

I'm going to Frontsight in Nevada in April, and plan on bringing the Kimber if it's back in time, but only as a backup should the XD fail somehow.

Hope that helps,
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies, the Kimber is definitely in my sights as a sometimes carry. I will probably have to run the 9mm SC and the Kimber through some paces to chose which would be an everyday carry. The temperamental Kimber sounds a bit annoying but when it works it seems it perform like a dream. This forum is an invaluable tool.

Thanks guys sleep safe.

JDW

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Kimber Pro Carry II and a 40 XD Service. I prefer to carry my XD because it is less expensive, less "picky" and is more like a work horse instead of a show horse. I tell everybody that my Kimber is my best pistol, but my xd is my favorite. The Pro Carry, however, is lighter because of the aluminum frame. This is the one the Tacoma WA PD can choose to carry for a service gun. The first Pro Carry I had was stolen by a police officer in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Fortunately my NRA membership insurance and homeowners insurance reduced my loss to about $100. It kind of hit me at that time that I would be better off carrying a cheaper gun that is just as much or more reliable than my $800 gun. Also, I hope this doesn't open up a can of worms, but, you have to consider; what is better 9 rds of 45 or 13 rds of 40? Considering that I have never had to shoot in a stressful situation, I like having the extra rounds.

BTW, a lot of people don't know that you have $1,000 worth of firearms insurance through the NRA just for being a member. Gotta love the NRA!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
1911s are alot like SKSs. The more you tinker with it and chop it or add things on, the less reliable piece you wind up with. Stick with a 5 inch 1911 and don't tweak it too much with aftermarket doo dads and you'll have less headaches...trust me! Oh, I know...all that stuff in the Wilson and Ed Brown catalogues looks SOOO COOL, but you don't need all that stuff.

Brother Browning's pistol flies right in a configurations closer to its original design, believe it or not. I don't know of anybody that has totally loved their smaller 1911s. Most I know have had some sort of troubles and most peopel I know have gotten rid of their smaller 1911s and stuck to full-sized 1911s or went ot another design, entirely.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's another important consideration I didn't see listed here. I love my XD and my 1911, however my 1911 is really only for competition and home defense. The reason is the single action nature of the 1911.

Remember that if you're going to carry the Kimber, you really have to carry it cocked and locked. If you don't have it cocked and locked, and you need it quickly or at close range, you may as well be carrying a hammer at your side, cause that's all it is. Some people are comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, and some people freak out at the sign of a cocked and loaded gun on your hip.

Of course, in order for the XD to be useful, it ALSO needs to be cocked, but somehow it's less menacing to people than an obviously cocked hammer. Personally, I like the fact that if I should ever need to use my XD, all you need to do is draw and fire. No extra safeties to bother with, and the gun is still perfectly safe sitting there in the holster.

Scott

·
Registered
77 Posts
I switch between my XD357 and Kimber Pro CDP depending on weather. XD gets winter duty with Fobus Holster. Kimber gets summer duty with small of back clip draw or when I'm driving for a while I wear a shoulder holster. Love them both. XD is just too big to fit between my ass crack.

As far as reliability goes.....never had a problem with any of my 1911's, but I don't do any kind of action work, only grips, sights, etc. I leave the rest to the pro's with quality control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts