Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been looking for a carry 9mm in a sub compact. I like these 2 guns. The kimber Solo @ around $700 and the Sig P290 @ $649. Both fine guns in my estimation, both 9mm and around the same price. The big difference is the Sig is DOA, hammer fired and the Kimber Solo is a single action, striker fired with a thumb safety. I need opinions from people more familiar with the two guns. Which would you buy and for what reasons?:confused:

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
I think that between the two, I'd go with the Solo...if Kimber can get them straightened out.

However, I only like DA triggers on revolvers, so I'm a bit biased.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Kimber is about 5oz lighter when fully loaded, no? That might be something worth considering.

Just out of curiosity, are you considering any other 9mm that are of similar size/price?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Hmmmmm...:confused: I have become really fond of the striker fired pistols. But for your question; what ever feels best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've read that the Kimber is a bit picky on ammo. Though, the negative reports probably make more appearances on the net over positive ones.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Ok, I have been looking for a carry 9mm in a sub compact. I like these 2 guns. The kimber Solo @ around $700 and the Sig P290 @ $649. Both fine guns in my estimation, both 9mm and around the same price. The big difference is the Sig is DOA, hammer fired and the Kimber Solo is a single action, striker fired with a thumb safety. I need opinions from people more familiar with the two guns. Which would you buy and for what reasons?:confused:
I can't give an expert opinion on either of the two but I've handled both in gun shops and the Kimber Solo ... out of those two choices ...would win hands down, IMHO.

I was interested in the Sig after doing some shooting with a friends full size Sig ...and shooting quite well with it ...but after checking out the P290 in my local gun shop ....I was immediately turned off by the Sig. ...after racking the slide the very first time ...as well as the second and last time I racked it. I can imagine having some serious damage to your hand in the web area between thumb and forefinger if your not extremely careful how you grip the gun while shooting it. There is simply not enough of a 'beavertail' built into the P290 to satisfy my comfort/safety concerns. I'm not sure if it was the slide itself ...or the hammer pinching my hand when I racked the slide ...but it was definitely not good.

I currently have a Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle .380 (which I'm planning on selling) ...which had a similar caution about the slide's recoil but I have had no problem with it while gripping, racking, and firing it.

The Sig also did not really 'feel' that great in my hand!

Good luck with your decision but after being heart-set on a Solo for myself for awhile now ...I have recently decided to go with either a Kahr CM9 or PM9. They are not nearly as good looking as the Solo (which is quite stunning looking, IMO for such a small CCW handgun) but not a bad looking gun at all ...but more importantly they get nearly unanimous high praise from their owners!

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you are still checking this thread........I picked up the Guns & Ammo Handguns magazine yesterday and did a feature article comparing 5 of micro compacts.......Ruger/Kimber/Sig/Kahr and SA emp (although I don't consider it a micro)...FYIW

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are still checking this thread........I picked up the Guns & Ammo Handguns magazine yesterday and did a feature article comparing 5 of micro compacts.......Ruger/Kimber/Sig/Kahr and SA emp (although I don't consider it a micro)...FYIW
I subscribe to Gun & Ammo but have not got that issue yet. I better go check the mailbox. Sounds like some good comparisons. Thanks

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Kimber solo is a mighty fine gun... when it works. I won't buy one until Kimber straightens them out. IF Kimber gets things right, I'll be the first in line.

The SIG is a little too heavy compared to others in its class. I'd get a Kahr before the SIG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts