Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am looking to buy a 1911 Kimber as an investment and I need to know which one would be the best one to select. I work for a large outdoor store part time and we can buy one Kimber per year at 50% off MSRP direct from Kimber. I am, by no means an expert on 1911's so I need your guy's help

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
As an "investment"?

Seriously?
I had similar reaction.

well OP? a gold plated one, if you wanted to waste the gold.

try looking at a couple gun digests to see what fetches the highest resale.
look at custom ordered list for price or special options, not on every other available.
keep them in the box, UNSHOT!!! good luck with your investment

·
21,870 Posts
Invest in lead!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously I'm not going to lose any money on the deal but I am just wanting to buy one to keep (unfired) and possibly hand down to another generation. Would the Gold Cup be considered their "signature" 1911, or should I go for a more loaded up one?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Colts will always hold their value better than most other 1911s.

However, when I went looking for a new 1911 a few years ago, I wound up with a Kimber TLE II. It seemed that the TLE II came with the most features for the money of any 1911 I was looking at. Many others came close, but often they lacked either the night sights or front strap checkering that came on the TLE II.

Feature for feature, the TLE series offers alot of features for the money. I'd start there and see if any other Kimber models have additional features that you just cannot live without.

The CDP also seems packed with good features, but its pricey. If you can get it for half price...that might be the Kimber to have.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Get the newest HD one with the bobbed mainspring. It is the tone and the cut out rear grip makes it nice for concealment (Kimbers firt pistol with this trait, but not first for the 1911).
If you wanted this in another 1911, it would cost yoy $3000 and be an Ed Brown

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
If you're going to buy a gun as an "investment" make sure it's a limited production gun. Make sure that limited production run is <100 guns. Make sure you get a certificate of authenticity. Make sure you get the lowest serial number possible.

·
Registered
320 Posts
$supercarrypro.png

This is the one I would buy at the 50%! I would jump on that deal immediately. Nothing wrong with a Kimber in my experience, and I would love to own a pistol like this one.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I'd say the Super Carry or CDP..
I owned a CDP Ultra but sold it after buying my EMP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the grand raptor II is very nice and makes a nice shooter , just my opinion.
Since I own one, I agree. LOL

It is an excellent shooter, really. I love that gun!

My wife loves it too, and she's shall we say, vertically challenged. A small person, who loves a full size 1911.

I'm not sure about the investment value, and I shoot mine whenever I get tha chance. The retail was around $1600, so if you can get one for $800 dive on it.

I bought mine used, for quite a bit less than retail.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The one I described, Spews posted the pic. That is what I would buy right now.

I've owned several Kimbers, 3", 4", & 5"' only one had to be sent back as it was a sloppy assembly (customer service was rude, but they did fix it). It was a 5" CDP II, but after they fixed it, it retained it's value and I got my money back + a few dollars.

Becase of the VERY rude customer service, I won't be buying another one, or even their new "Solo".

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
942 Posts
i would buy a high end one at 50% off then resell and get a springfield

·
Registered
778 Posts
For investment purposes...
i would have to go with a Centennial (good luck finding one), Super America (don't think they have been made since 08 though), or maybe a Royal II.

I think your going to be hard pressed to really consider any Kimber a true investment piece unless you can get something like a Centennial or Super America or something like that where only 100-200 were ever made.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As others have said, a limited production model or even a semi-specialized model maybe in a less common caliber. Something in 10mm or .38 super might be something to look into.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts