Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used Kimber Pro Carry from my local range. It was their rental gun that was used for 14 mounths. The gun looks to be in good operational order, but the finish is a bit rough. I paid $365 for it and if I can get it refinished fairly inexpensively I think I will make out with quite a deal.
If anyone has recomendations on finishes I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
What's your budget?

Do you want to do it yourself, or have it done professionally?

What type of finish are you looking for, in terms of appearance?

·
Registered
508 Posts
You could get it refinished fairly expensively and still make out with a good deal:) what's the finish now? All black or some stainless? Cerakote from a reputable source is my reco. Google "1911 cerakote" for color ideas.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Throw up ice of it first so I can say it looks really good with the finish wear or not!

I love good holster wear on a pistol. Like a truck with some dents in it and a dirty bed.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
^truff
For what it's worth, Sig does refinishing for around 100. Kimber is probably roughly the same.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Hard chrome by Metaloy. Looks great and is tough as hell.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I would contact Kimber and see what they offer..Who knows they might refinish for the right price..
Kimber would probably offer their KimPro finish which is about as bad as it gets.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
OP, if you want a stainless look, hardchrome or NP3+ are the two best in my experience. For a black finish, I have several and prefer Cerakote over Black-T or Ion Bond. Whatever DW is doing to their guns is some great stuff too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feed back, sorry just worked 2 12hr days in a row and just got a chance to see replies.
My budget is about 200 but flexible.
The gun is all black and I would like to get it done professionaly. Honestly the look is not as important to me as the durability is. That said, I would probably go with a dark color. I plan on using it as a carry gun and I know i put some strain on gun finishes. (My XDm .45 compact can attest to that. She has a bit of wear on her. Runs like a champ though;).)

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Agreed on hot bluing.

That kimber may be a lightweight though. Blued slide on a frame that doesn't match looks like poop.

Sometimes I just like to do a GIS on Turnbull guns....

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Agreed on hot bluing.

That kimber may be a lightweight though. Blued slide on a frame that doesn't match looks like poop.

Sometimes I just like to do a GIS on Turnbull guns....
I think you're right, if I recall pretty much all of Kimber's Carry series have an aluminum or alloy frame.

Thanks for the feed back, sorry just worked 2 12hr days in a row and just got a chance to see replies.
My budget is about 200 but flexible.
The gun is all black and I would like to get it done professionaly. Honestly the look is not as important to me as the durability is. That said, I would probably go with a dark color. I plan on using it as a carry gun and I know i put some strain on gun finishes. (My XDm .45 compact can attest to that. She has a bit of wear on her. Runs like a champ though;).)
At that price point GunKote 2400 or CeraKote are probably your best bet. If a company offers a GunKote finish, make sure it's the 2400 series, as that's baked on and much more durable. The 2300 series is only an air cured finish and doesn't offer near the same protection. Also, for CeraKote, there's a number of companies out there that use a ceramic like finish, but use a cheaper product. Make sure you're getting the real deal!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have heard the cerakote is good though I'm a bit confused. I have heard that there is cerakote and something called cerabake, I think it was called, and one or two other derivatives.
I am not constrained to 200 dollar budget, that is just roughly what I figured I would spend. Dont mind putting up more for a quality product.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I have heard the cerakote is good though I'm a bit confused. I have heard that there is cerakote and something called cerabake, I think it was called, and one or two other derivatives.
I am not constrained to 200 dollar budget, that is just roughly what I figured I would spend. Dont mind putting up more for a quality product.
Then check with Firearm Finishes, Custom Weapons, Gunsmithing | Robar. They have some of the best finishes out there, but you'll pay close to twice what you had planned on.

CeraKote information: Cerakote Coatings
GunKote information: 2400 Series Gun Kote: Metal Protective Coating | Firearm Lubricants | Industrial Coatings

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Since your gun is an aluminum framed model and you're wanting a dark finish, I'd recommend Cerakote. Good stuff. And many color options to choose from.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
dear mods.
please add this smiley

to this forum so we can use it on threads like this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts