Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my price range I can probably only afford the Dan Wesson Pointman Seven though I would really like the Valor. With Kimber there are a few more options in my price range. I figure I will be happy with either brand but I just wanted some feed back from you folks.

Also, on Kimbers website, a .22 conversion is 330$ + 25 per mag.... That is more expensive then other kits I have seen, will have have to have the kimber brand conversion kit or will an after market kit work?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have never owned a Kimber, but the ones I have shot or handled did not come close to the Dan Wesson I got yesterday (thread a few down). I believe Kimber also uses MIM parts, whereas Dan Wesson does not. You really get alot for your money out of the DW it seems

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
cant speak for DW but Kimber I have enjoyed mine and have not had a bit of trouble MIM or not

i think you would be hard pressed to go wrong with either

my .02

40-45

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I'm leaning toward Dan Wesson too. I think I'm going to save a bit more and get the Valor though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a Kimber and recommend Kimber. I have only shot 1 DW and found it to be great.

I put Dan Wesson in the same category as Wilson and Les Bauer. For the price you will pay for the LB I belive you will get a better bargin for your $ with a Kimber. The Dan Wesson I shot did not feed well. I contribute the feed problems to magazine issues - I really don't think you can go wrong with either. As far as the conversion kit goes... I like the kimber conversion kit best and also the Wilson Combat conversion kit.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for in a 1911. I just got rid of my kimber Didn't sell because I didn't like it, sold because I needed the money for an AR-15 purchase... :)

That said.... I am now looking at a Dan Wesson Point Man 7 to take the Kimber's place... :)

The only thing that I don't like about the Pointman 7 is the adjustable sights. I have no use for them as it would be a carry gun/HD gun.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Never shot or owned a Dan Wesson. They do look nice, though.

However, I do own a Kimber TLE II and love it. Very accurate and totally reliable. I borrowed several Kimbers before buying the TLE II and they all left me with very positive shooting experiences - that led to me buying a TLE when I found one at a crazy low price.

I would not sweat MIM parts that badly. My Springer GI has MIM parts and after 6 years of heavy shooting...I have not seen anything look like its crapping out. Besides...do you see tons of reports on the 1911 web boards, about MIM parts breaking en masse? I don't. In fact, I see lots of complaining about MIM...but very few real cases of failures.

Kimber had some teething issues in the past, but if you ask around...most people here that own Kimbers have had very good luck with this brand. Hey, I have two Colts...so if I thought the Kimber was crap...I sure would not have bought one.

Again...can't really comment on Dan Wessons, but I CAN give a thumbs up for the Kimbers. I have yet to shoot one that was not very accurate and totally reliable.

- Brickboy240

1 - 12 of 12 Posts