Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Broke my ejector on my Kimber Pro Carry II on Saturday. Found the broken part while cleaning afterward. Here's a pic. Sorry about all the lint, it was a close up and better than I thought it would turn out. I was still in the process of cleaning.

I just talked to Kimber and they say it'll be covered under warranty. Send it back and they'll fix it under warranty.
Or I can have the part sent to me or my smith and have him do it.
So I have to see which will be cheaper, sending it back or having the smith do it.

I was surprised due to Kimber having a 1 year warranty and my Kimber is about 3 years old or so.
Have to check my info at home to verify. I also need to call them back with my S/N to start the RMA procedure.

I'll keep you updated on my experience with Kimber. I've been seeing a lot of bad stuff about their customer service.
This will be my first real experience with them.
The Kimiber has been flawless really until now.
I'm so sad.... :(

Note: it shot perfectly at the range. I did notice something funny at one point, stopped checked everything and it seemed fine. Finished up.
Got home and was cleaning it and noticed the arm that sticks into the magwell was snapped off.
Reassembled it, can't really see it then. It chambered a round just fine, but would not eject anymore.
Once I started looking up the procedure for replacing it, having to drill the post to fit the pin in and all. I decided I'd best have a smith or Kimber do it for me.. I really would have liked to fix it myself, but don't want to screw up the frame by accident or lack of experience.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And just another note.
I was using a 10-8Performance armorer tool.
First time using it, trying to take out the extractor and it broke at both ends.
Very disappointed.

I think I just got a bad one.

Showed wifey and she said to contact them. So I did.
They are sending me a dozen at no charge and want me to test for them.
They've never had one break before.
So I'll send it back when I get the package and test the new ones.
Prepaid package and all that. Very nice.

I think that shows good faith on their part. I will give them more of my business. Nice response. Just an FYI if you've never tried the 10-8 site.
They have some nice stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Springfield would pay to have your pistol shipped both ways.

Ya, I know. That's part of the reason I've been considering getting my next 1911 from Springfield.

I was really surprised that Kimber will do warranty repair after the warranty period though. I think that says something there.

I'm also quite fond of 9mm. Kimber offers more selection and parts for 1911 9mm than most other manufacturers.

Springfield not so much. Specially in the full size 1911.

and before it goes further... I know. 1911s were designed around the 45ACP. But, all calibers have been made for years even in the beginning due to different European standards.
I also hear, a real man would be shooting a 45. Well, why isn't that real man shooting a 50 cal then? And yes, I've seen 1911s in 50 cal. :neutral:

just rambling.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I was really surprised that Kimber will do warranty repair after the warranty period though. I think that says something there.
It's not uncommon. You hear a lot of noise on the net but I know folks that have sent in 8-9 year old guns for stuff and had them fixed for free. Can't speak from personal experience though as neither of my Kimbers have had to go back. Don't mean to imply that Kimber has better CS than SA however. I've had a few back to SA for repair and they have always taken care of me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is probably a MIM part, which is not supposed to break any sooner than a machined part; evidently they do. A better solution might have been to replace it with a good aftermarket part.

CX

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just ordered a new recoil spring for my Kimber cdp2 last night. Now you have me worried about my gun breaking...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been worried about the same.
Secret reason to have more than one....
But they are all just machines, not indestuctible.
It did hit it home more as to why people have bugs.

Also why some people have parts accumulated that they'll never use.
I think a spare of just about everything would be a good idea...firing pin, recoil spring... but then where do you stop?

As to Kimber, when I called back this afternoon with a serial number... I forgot this morning when I called from work. Duh.
They did say they were shipping it to me as a complete unit.
Explained that it's predrilled and fitted to a frame identical to mine per model. No fitting required.

Just remove the pin, make sure it fits, pull it back out, apply some blue locktite and slide it in and tap in the pin.

I've heard that before.

We'll see.

This is a first for me and I'm doing plenty of research. :shock:
Got to make sure I use the right tap for it.

I've seen some threads about shaping the tip so it ejects to the side more and not so much upward or into your face...

1911 fever, I've got it bad...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I just ordered a new recoil spring for my Kimber cdp2 last night. Now you have me worried about my gun breaking...
Happens to all guns. Some you just have to work them harder to get to that point. Over the years I've gone through all kinds of slide stops, ejectors, extractors, plungers, bushings from Kimber, SA, Bear, and even a steel SA frame. My $1700 Baer broke a bushing after just 200 rounds and last year I broke a couple of Wilson BP parts. It happens especially if you do more than square range shooting.

If that CDP2 is a Pro I assume you've discovered the Wolff XP springs.

I've seen some threads about shaping the tip so it ejects to the side more and not so much upward or into your face...
Post # 8. Keep in mind that many times the brass hits the bottom or front of the ejection port and ricochets up and into your face. If you look at the location of the ejection port it's hard for a case to come straight up and back.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=305879

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is probably a MIM part, which is not supposed to break any sooner than a machined part; evidently they do. A better solution might have been to replace it with a good aftermarket part.

CX

I use magnifying lenses to clean and inspect.
It sure looks like MIM to me. Not a solid shear as it appears to have weakened over time. It's granular in appearance and it gives me the impression that it was MIM rather than bar stock or such.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Time to dial Brownells or Midway.

CX

BTW, I own two Kimbers and like them. I have changed out a few parts, some because they are MIM (or plastic!) and some just because they fit me better.

Ejectors just went on my list of changes! Thanks!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Be careful with reloading with the slide locked back. Mags can be inserted too far and put undue pressure on extended ejectors.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Be careful with reloading with the slide locked back. Mags can be inserted too far and put undue pressure on extended ejectors.

When talking to Kimber they made a point of saying not to use extended mags.
Use only 9 rounders. Otherwise they will break the ejector.
I did notice with Wilson Combat 10 round mags, they extended up 1/32" more than the 9 round Kimbers or MEC-GAR 9 round mags.
The Wilson Combat 10 round EDM mag seems just fine though. I'm going to insert and inspect each kind to see which actually may contact the ejector. I'll do that with my inspection magnification glasses...
Let you know what if anything I see.

Also my RIA 1911 has the same issue with the Wilson Combat 10 rounders, but if you are gentle putting them in, they work just fine. But if you slam them in, they can get stuck on the ejector of that one as well. Again, the Wilson EDM seems just fine.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Detail stripped the Kimber. Verified punch size and removed the pin from the right to left. Worked flawlessly.

Here's a pic of the broken ejector and if you look close on the pin, you can see the notch needed for the ejector roll pin.

I'm still waiting on the replacement from Kimber, but if it's pre-drilled as they said, it should only require minimal touch up to fit if at all.
According to them.

I've also posted it for anyone that's not seen a removed ejector with the notch. Also you need to inspect the ejector on your weapon for any signs of cracks. It's something I've added to my detail inspection now.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried to get a few more pics, I'm not too good at these yet.
Just getting the hang of uploading and moving and such.

removed the first pic, just a blur.

I'm also saving the old one as a template to compare the new one to.
I'm also going to use it to use to make a spare from an online 1911 ejector to see if that will work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had an ejector break at about round 170 it was a MIM part with a huge void, after seeing the void I am amazed it made it to round 2.

The part was replaced (by the factory) and I would assume it to was a MIM part as well, I am on 4,000 plus rounds on that pistol with no problems, just basic springs and mantainence.

Rod's statement above is spot on, they will all wear out or break a part form time to time.

The better quality the parts the less likely it will happen, but it will happen just the same.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm also saving the old one as a template to compare the new one to.
I'm also going to use it to use to make a spare from an online 1911 ejector to see if that will work.
Remember that ejectors are caliber specific.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, I was wondering about that.

I got the parts from Kimber this weekend.
The post is NOT drilled.

I'll take it to the gunsmith's tomorrow to have him drill the channel and mount it. Shouldn't charge me much. I'm tempted to do it myself. I have the other to make sure the cutout is in the correct place and deep enough. I do have carbide drill bits, but hmmm..... Spend the money on the gunsmith to do it or not.... decisions decisions....

Inpected my RIA 1911 GI and it's ejector is showing the effects as well.
Cleaned it up and used liquid blue to cover up some filing and buffing to make it clean. I did notice a slight upward bend to it.

I intend to use the 10 round mags with that pistol and see if inserting them normally will cause the damage or if it's the slap in that is causing it.
I think if the mags are inserted softly they won't damage it, but I have to experiment to find out.

For now after I get the Kimber fixed, me doing it or the smith, I'll stick to 9 round flush fit mags till I get more info. I'm inspecting the mags tonight to see if the left lip towards the back where it would impact the ejector shows any wear or bending. If so, I'm thinking just a minimal removal of material in that one corner may do it. I'll test on one mag only at first. Don't want to compromise the integrity of the mag itself.

Definitely getting replacement ejectors for both RIA and the Kimber...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Inpected my RIA 1911 GI and it's ejector is showing the effects as well.
Cleaned it up and used liquid blue to cover up some filing and buffing to make it clean. I did notice a slight upward bend to it.

I intend to use the 10 round mags with that pistol and see if inserting them normally will cause the damage or if it's the slap in that is causing it.
I think if the mags are inserted softly they won't damage it, but I have to experiment to find out.
If you always load to a forward slide, you shouldn't have problems with any mag.
With the slide locked back, the ejector has no support (bottom of slide will keep it from bending or breaking when forward). Even the Kimber mags can contact the ejector with the slide open. The tab on the front of the mag, which contacts the bottom of the grip, can flex or bend.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update.
5-17-11

Kimber sent wrong part and it was NOT pre drilled as they said it would be. Gosh, why did I expect anything less. Calling them back in a few.

Contacted Wilson about the magazines that are breaking the ejectors in two different models of 1911s that are recommended to use Wilson mags.
Sorry, so sad. See if you can get your money back from someone else.
Quote from them after I was transferred to 2nd level customer support:

"Our tolerances may have been off. We only fit our mags to Springfields and Colt frames. We'll be sure to let the machine shop know. "

So much for Wilson customer service in my opinion. :evil:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts