Springfield XD Forum banner

Kimber Custom II

5K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Brickboy240 
#1 ·
So i have an opportunity to buy or trade for a Kimber Custom II with walnut grips, night sights, and 2-8 round mags and 3-10 round mags. He is wanting $675 cash or to trade my OD green and black xdm 40 cal. What are yalls thoughts on how much cash should go with my trade. My xdm is pretty much brand new with all the gear that comes with them. His kimber looks to be in great shape also! :confused:

#7 ·
I don`t know what your XDM is worth, but I know you will love a Kimber. Do the trade with a little cash, pay the shipping, do your FFL and enjoy the Kimber. His price isn't bad. Once you've experienced the 1911 platform you`ll never go back. I should know, I have 3 of them.:) BTW Kimbers only come with 1 mag, so you will get about $120 worth of mags and night sights are about $125. It`s a good deal. Hell, I`d do it.

#9 ·
I would trade it. I had a Custom II Target, which is the same except with adjustable sites. That thing was awesome and never had one issue with it.

#13 ·
From what I have experienced and read about...the lower level 5' Kimbers seem to be the least troublesome of Kimber's line up. They also have many good features for the money.

I don't know if I would ever spend the money on one of their higher grade 1911s, but everyone I know with a Custom II, TLE or Royal really loves their guns.

- brickboy240

#14 ·
Oh man, the temptation is too much, i think its a worthy trade by all means. You should go for it. As soon as you wrap your hands around the grip of that gun, you'll understand why. you could shoot the tail off a fly across the room without even sighting, its just that natural. I have a full size TLE II with just over 3,100 rounds through it, no problems, just make sure to replace you recoil spring around every 1,500 rounds as recommended and that Kimber will continue to run beautifully :) And if your gonna CC it, get yourself a milt sparks summer special 2 holster from cabelas! SUPER comfortable :)

#15 ·
Greetings new friends,

I just bought a Kimber Custom II. I make minimum wage and it took me six months to save up for! I bought it from Bass pro for 858.90 out the door. After brining it home, I field stripped the pistol and cleaned it like my dad showed me how and how I have cleaned 1911's for years. Next day I went out to the range and fired two 50rd boxes of Remington 230 gr. I had 30 failure's to feed. I took the pistol home and cleaned it again, next day went out and fired another 75rds. 25 failures to feed. I thought buying a high quality product would eliminate these sort of issues, I was wrong. When I took it back to bass pro to have it sent off, the counter man said to some other customers " See, paying for name is all your doing." My pal's at church told me I should have went with a smith and wesson or colt. My dad laughed at said I should have bought a Taurus. This is the worst of all,my brother bought a rock river and hasn't had an issue. Been waiting three weeks so far, no firearms and bank account is missing 858.90. Beware of the Kimber quality, I heard that they have been bought out and are no longer producing quality fire arms.

P.S. Sorry about the paragraph, didn't know I typed that much.

#16 ·
Greetings new friends,

I just bought a Kimber Custom II. I make minimum wage and it took me six months to save up for! I bought it from Bass pro for 858.90 out the door. After brining it home, I field stripped the pistol and cleaned it like my dad showed me how and how I have cleaned 1911's for years. Next day I went out to the range and fired two 50rd boxes of Remington 230 gr. I had 30 failure's to feed. I took the pistol home and cleaned it again, next day went out and fired another 75rds. 25 failures to feed. I thought buying a high quality product would eliminate these sort of issues, I was wrong. When I took it back to bass pro to have it sent off, the counter man said to some other customers " See, paying for name is all your doing." My pal's at church told me I should have went with a smith and wesson or colt. My dad laughed at said I should have bought a Taurus. This is the worst of all,my brother bought a rock river and hasn't had an issue. Been waiting three weeks so far, no firearms and bank account is missing 858.90. Beware of the Kimber quality, I heard that they have been bought out and are no longer producing quality fire arms.

P.S. Sorry about the paragraph, didn't know I typed that much.
Since you are copy and pasting your grievances on multiple threads, I'll do the same:

"You heard wrong. There is a margin of error in EVERY manufacturing facility. If you make 100 guns a year, one might have a problem. If you make 100,000 a year, at the same odds, you may have more issues spring up. I have put about 500 through my Custom, and I have only had one fail to feed, and that was due to the factory stock magazine. The base mags have been known to be erroneous, I upgraded to some better mags and have had no issues.
Also, please don't make your first introduction to a forum a "Stay away from X, go buy Y instead", that and the rumor you threw in at the end may make people label you as a troll."

#18 ·
I have now owned 3 SA 1911's... Never had an issue from any of them. There is more going on with Kimber than "all manufacturers have issues"
There are lots of folks arguing that since Kimber sells more guns than all the rest you will hear more noise. They definitely make a tighter gun than SA.

Since we are copying and pasting I'll repeat that I've had a Wilson and an LB that broke in the first month and had to go back to the factory as well as SAs. My Custom II is right around 7k and is boringly reliable and stable. My Kimber Pro might just hit 10k this month. Nightmare during break in but has been dead reliable the last 9k rounds. All guns can break and all vendors produce lemons. You just have to do your research, know what to expect, and be willing to tweak when choosing a 1911. If not, there are plenty of other platforms that are reliable out of the box.

#19 ·
I have now owned 3 SA 1911's... Never had an issue from any of them. There is more going on with Kimber than "all manufacturers have issues"

I'm sure there is someone out there that can say the exact opposite. People are going to find something wrong, or have something go wrong with EVERY brand there is. There are no completely perfect weapons.

As for the LMA guy. Yeah we get it, you had a bad experience, you made a thread about it here & we saw that. **** about it already & stop polluting every thread you can find with Kimber in it.

#21 ·
A couple of years ago (maybe 3) I paid 780 for a TLE II. Bought from a smaller local gun store.

Bass Pro and the other big box stores are known as a total rip off. They have also been known to sell pistols that have been mishandled by customers.

I guess I got the only good Kimber. Good for me....the TLE II is a very accurate and reliable shooter.

- brickboy240

#22 ·
Dont trade it bro, Im sure there is a reason he wants to get rid of it. Kimbers are over rated. People talk about there attention to detail, They have plastic main spring housings. (Then the bitch about mim parts when they have plastic MSH) Bwhahahahah. Second let down, shooting it sucks because it has all black sights. Thirdly, it has the worst finish of any 1911 I have ever held. You will find that out like I did after gentle use. Yes gentle. Go out and research, Kimber has become a hit or miss company. I was hypnotized by the Kimber mystique so I over looked all these negatives, then was quickly brought back to reality when I could have bought a Taurus 1911 built in Brazil that actually works for half the price.

I would pay maybe 200$ for that kimber, its going to cost you a lot of hours and capital to fix all the problems.

#24 ·
Wow, you sure chugged the Kimber Haterade in a big hurry.

I think other than Brick, I must have bought the only other functioning and accurate Kimber out there. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
The factory Kimber mag leaves a lot to be desired, kinda like USGI AR mags.
Personally, I run nothing but Wilson 47Ds. Just hit 2,000 rounds through the gun and replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.