Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings new friends,

I just bought a Kimber Custom II. I make minimum wage and it took me six months to save up for! I bought it from Bass pro for 858.90 out the door. After brining it home, I field stripped the pistol and cleaned it like my dad showed me how and how I have cleaned 1911's for years. Next day I went out to the range and fired two 50rd boxes of Remington 230 gr. I had 30 failure's to feed. I took the pistol home and cleaned it again, next day went out and fired another 75rds. 25 failures to feed. I thought buying a high quality product would eliminate these sort of issues, I was wrong. When I took it back to bass pro to have it sent off, the counter man said to some other customers " See, paying for name is all your doing." My pal's at church told me I should have went with a smith and wesson or colt. My dad laughed at said I should have bought a Taurus. This is the worst of all,my brother bought a rock river and hasn't had an issue. Been waiting three weeks so far, no firearms and bank account is missing 858.90. Beware of the Kimber quality, I heard that they have been bought out and are no longer producing quality fire arms.

P.S. Sorry about the paragraph, didn't know I typed that much.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You heard wrong. There is a margin of error in EVERY manufacturing facility. If you make 100 guns a year, one might have a problem. If you make 100,000 a year, at the same odds, you may have more issues spring up. I have put about 500 through my Custom, and I have only had one fail to feed, and that was due to the factory stock magazine. The base mags have been known to be erroneous, I upgraded to some better mags and have had no issues.
Also, please don't make your first introduction to a forum a "Stay away from X, go buy Y instead", that and the rumor you threw in at the end may make people label you as a troll.

·
Super Moderator
22,206 Posts
Kimber MAGS is what sucks about Kimber. Switch your mags out!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh, this guy is also copy/pasting this exact paragraph across multiple forums.

Just for the record...

·
Registered
942 Posts
id try new mags, either wilsons or kimppros.
if those dont solve the issue sell the weapon and buy a rock island and have extra money in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
What kind of feeding issues were you having? Hanging on the feed ramp? Stuck going in to the chamber? Multiple mags or just the one Kimber mag? FMJ vs JHPs?

As mentioned, it could be the mag or perhaps your gun doesn't like the Remmy ammo profile assuming FMJ ammo. Could also be extractor tension if it's a chambering problem.

If you have indeed years of experience with 1911s you should also realize that any 1911 can have issues out of the box and it has nothing to do with price point. My Dads $3500 Wilson had a problem in the first 30 days and my LB broke a bushing at 220 rounds. On the other hand, I've had Kimbers run perfectly out of the box and another take 500 rounds before it ran perfectly. My carry gun wouldn't feed any mags loaded with 8 rounds until after it was broken in.

Lots of questions and things to consider before writing it off and there are lots of threads around about some Kimbers needed a little more love before they work well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just for the record...
Becuase Im trying to find out if anyone has had the same problem :neutral: And yes, this product has been a let down for me. I didn't label my thread buy this product over another. Stating what I have experienced. I have not said buy x product. Read and think about what I wrote before forming an opinion please. I also have been useing the same screen name so its not like Im trying to change minds. I paid for a high quality pistol and this is what my problem is.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Becuase Im trying to find out if anyone has had the same problem :neutral: And yes, this product has been a let down for me. I didn't label my thread buy this product over another. Stating what I have experienced. I have not said buy x product. Read and think about what I wrote before forming an opinion please. I also have been useing the same screen name so its not like Im trying to change minds. I paid for a high quality pistol and this is what my problem is.
Actually, you aren't asking if anyone is having the same problem or asking for opinions specially your last statement.

Beware of the Kimber quality, I heard that they have been bought out and are no longer producing quality fire arms.
it just reads as a complaint and, considering that you only have a couple of posts, I could be construed as one of the many troll posts that pop up every week. If you had asked for some suggestions, options, or feedback and provides some more details you might get some recommendations from lots of us who have had and resolved these issues across multiple gun manufacturers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of feeding issues were you having? Hanging on the feed ramp? Stuck going in to the chamber? Multiple mags or just the one Kimber mag? FMJ vs JHPs?

As mentioned, it could be the mag or perhaps your gun doesn't like the Remmy ammo profile assuming FMJ ammo. Could also be extractor tension if it's a chambering problem.

If you have indeed years of experience with 1911s you should also realize that any 1911 can have issues out of the box and it has nothing to do with price point. My Dads $3500 Wilson had a problem in the first 30 days and my LB broke a bushing at 220 rounds. On the other hand, I've had Kimbers run perfectly out of the box and another take 500 rounds before it ran perfectly. My carry gun wouldn't feed any mags loaded with 8 rounds until after it was broken in.

Lots of questions and things to consider before writing it off and there are lots of threads around about some Kimbers needed a little more love before they work well.
My problem is that the slide goes back try's to chamber another round but does not feed it all the way. I have shot all my life and I have never had a 1911 do this before. In the Army, they taught us to slap the mag, charge a round and chop the back of our slides. But its seems like I have to do this every time in order to know that my pistol was going to fire.
Yes I was using Remington USMC fmj 230g ammo. I read about the mag issued and tried some W.C. mags and still had the same issue. The mags should be taken into consideration by Kimber if they are this flawed of this amount of time. Like buying a corvette with training wheels. Im just seriously let down after spending that much money as a college student making minimum wage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
id try new mags, either wilsons or kimppros.
if those dont solve the issue sell the weapon and buy a rock island and have extra money in your pocket.
Im trading it as soon as it comes back. This will be the first and last purchase from Kimber for me. I wont say what brand because I don't want to cause heart ache or butt hurt from someone else on this thread. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts

Just for the record...
Just for the record, maybe you should mind your own business.

Perhaps he just wants opinions from various forums.

Is there are problems with that or do you just like to rat people out?:roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, Kimbers (like any other manufacturer) have good and bad guns.
Never had a problem with my CDP Ultra.

And don't pay much attention to guys that work in gun stores, especially Bass Pro.
Their opinions are worthless for the most part.

Contact Kimber and let them fix it.

Kimber America | Kimber America | Contact Us

·
Super Moderator
22,206 Posts
Well If you have tried diff mags and diff ammo then I would give Kimber a call. It is possible you have a bad weapon it could be the spring/feed ramp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, Kimbers (like any other manufacturer) have good and bad guns.
Never had a problem with my CDP Ultra.

And don't pay much attention to guys that work in gun stores, especially Bass Pro.
Their opinions are worthless for the most part.

Contact Kimber and let them fix it.

Kimber America | Kimber America | Contact Us
Thanks bro for the information. This was my first purchase on my own. Most of my other 1911 where former owners who I could ask about the history. Will do and thanks for being cool and posting productive info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well If you have tried diff mags and diff ammo then I would give Kimber a call. It is possible you have a bad weapon it could be the spring/feed ramp.
Indeed Army guy, I tried Remington 230fmj and winchest 230 fmj. Tried a buddies wilson combat mag, I think the 1140d or something like that. I just want to know if Kimber is really quality and If I should keep it when it comes back or trade it? Im not knocking kimber, just bummed out. I sent out it through Bass Pro because its still under warranty. It just sucks I paid that much and I don't have it to shoot. Thanks again though.

·
Super Moderator
22,206 Posts
Indeed Army guy, I tried Remington 230fmj and winchest 230 fmj. Tried a buddies wilson combat mag, I think the 1140d or something like that. I just want to know if Kimber is really quality and If I should keep it when it comes back or trade it? Im not knocking kimber, just bummed out. I sent out it through Bass Pro because its still under warranty. It just sucks I paid that much and I don't have it to shoot. Thanks again though!
Well Sh*t happens. It happens to anything that is massed produced. Now Kimber with their high quality name should make this up to you ( IE Fix it for free and pay for shipping ). I hope they make it right for you. I have been a Kimber fan for a while but if they lack the CS then I would get rid of mine for a more CS friendly company.

·
Registered
538 Posts

No, I just thought it was curious why someone would create accounts on multiple sites, and copy/paste the same complaint, without asking for advice or help on his problem. His later posts where he *did* ask for tips and tricks would have helped his initial impression. As it stands, it seemed at the onset that he was simply rattling his can across the internet for the sole purpose of bashing a brand, not attempting to get information.
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Sh*t happens. It happens to anything that is massed produced. Now Kimber with their high quality name should make this up to you ( IE Fix it for free and pay for shipping ). I hope they make it right for you. I have been a Kimber fan for a while but if they lack the CS then I would get rid of mine for a more CS friendly company.
Right on bro, I will keep you guys informed. Im going to call them monday and see whats going on. Its been three weeks so hopefully they have some answers for me. It's still under warranty so I hope I don't have to pay for anything. I didn't break any of there rules to keep the warranty. Just want my 1911 back and put this nightmare behind me. I will keep you guys informed on what happens.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
My Custom II was my 2nd 1911 and I've put over 1k rounds through it with no issues (except those related to the kimber mags). I really hope Kimber makes it right for you as they really do make great guns. Please keep us updated on what happens. I believe once it gets worked out you will enjoy the crap out of yours just as much as the rest of us Kimber fans.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Custom II was my 2nd 1911 and I've put over 1k rounds through it with no issues (except those related to the kimber mags). I really hope Kimber makes it right for you as they really do make great guns. Please keep us updated on what happens. I believe once it gets worked out you will enjoy the crap out of yours just as much as the rest of us Kimber fans.
Wow! Thats comforting to know you put that many through and still have a functional pistol. I feel a lot more confident that Kimber will make it right and make it up to me. Just looking for a reliable pistol that I can one day hand down to my kids when I have some lol. This will not be a first or last 1911 by any means. I would love to pick up a WC, Colt, Knight Hawk, Les Bear when I have the capital for it. I have a Springfield TRP and I love that like a child. I hope I can say the same about my Kimber.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I just thought it was curious why someone would create accounts on multiple sites, and copy/paste the same complaint, without asking for advice or help on his problem. His later posts where he *did* ask for tips and tricks would have helped his initial impression. As it stands, it seemed at the onset that he was simply rattling his can across the internet for the sole purpose of bashing a brand, not attempting to get information.
Sorry for the confusion.
Im not salty bro, no worries. ;)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts