Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Scallion (420HC) partial serrated and a Leek (Sandvik 14C28N) with black handle and black blade. I have to say I'm not all that impressed for what Kershaw wants to charge for them. I got them cheap at Dick's Sports and Cabelas, so its not a big deal.

I've had the Leek a week maybe, and have barely used it. Its been in my pocket or nightstand 99% of the time. I carry the Scallion in my dress pants pocket be cause its so small, and I use it opening packages and stuff. Its still in great condition, blade still looks new. The leek on the other hand, the edge is chipped and the black blade finish scratches easily.

Because they were so cheap ($20 for the scallion and $40 for the leek I figured I'd give Kershaw and liner locks a try again, as I had been unimpressed by CRKT liner locks (after 5 years the lock stopped working).

I'd like some opinions on this Sandvik steel for those who have/had experience with it.

Thanks,

K.O.D.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I carry a Kershaw 1660ST everyday. Love it, and never had any trouble with it

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I owned a blackout for a few months and loved it. Had no issues. I actually lost it last week and had to buy another one off of Ebay a few days ago. I'm waiting anxiously for it to arrive. I did have the original professionally sharpened after a month or two but after that I was cutting cardboard like it wasn't even there. Great knife. Dick's has them for sale for about $70 but I find them new on Ebay for just under $40.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all. So far, Kershaw has the only liner lock I actually feel somewhat confident about using. Just wished they made a lefty lock cuz its a bitch to close lefty.

I often carry 2-3 knives on me when I'm in downtown Chicago, and luckily my Sog Mini X-ray vision is ambidextrous, so its my left pocket knife.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I have 2 Kershaws. A Blackout and a cheaper one that's made in China. I can't remeber what it is but it's a nice blade and has the speedsafe design as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a Skyline, Chive and a Blur tanto and I have no complaints about any of them. Since I bought the Skyline, it is almost always in my pocket. If you don't want a Kershaw get a Spyderco Delica FFG....they are awesome for the price!

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I love my kershaws. I have two. A skyline, and an OSO Sweet. Both are great knives.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've carried the Ken Onion Whirlwind for about ten years +/- and it's a good today as the day I bought it. Holds a beautiful edge and never misses a beat on the assist. In fact, I bought two and gave the other to my best friend and never saw him use it. I think he dropped it oveboard and was afraid to tell me. LOL

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I've carried the Ken Onion Whirlwind for about ten years +/- and it's a good today as the day I bought it. Holds a beautiful edge and never misses a beat on the assist. In fact, I bought two and gave the other to my best friend and never saw him use it. I think he dropped it oveboard and was afraid to tell me. LOL
+1 on the Whirlwind. Great value for a USA made knife. I bought my father in law one for Christmas.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have four Kershaws: a blur, blackout and 2 leeks.

Second leek and blur I got for free from my Snap-On dealer. :cool:

The blur is my favorite but all of them are close. Really nice knives for the price.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have had both the Kershaw Scallion and the Leak and I like my Leak much better and it is my current EDC knife...

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I carry a drop point plain edge black Blur with me everywhere.

a few swipes with a cheap lansky sharpener and it's back to shaving sharp.

I should probably stop demonstrating that though as bald spots on my arm look kinda silly.

paid about 60 shipped off Amazon for it. Worth every penny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts