Kel-Tec RFB, latest gen. | Springfield XD Forum

Kel-Tec RFB, latest gen.

Discussion in 'Bullpup Talk' started by RoyalsFan, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Nov 7, 2019 #1
    RoyalsFan

RoyalsFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Picked this up, barely used for $1,000 with 5 Kel-Tec magazines, 4 of which were new in the plastic. It was manufactured in 2019. In original box with the nicest owners manual for a gun I've ever seen. Full color photos and magazine-quality publishing. Also came with factory sling that was brand new and unused. Couldn't be happier with it.

I already had the Hawke 3-9x40 scope and added Nikon Tactical scope rings and bought the Drago 2-rifle range bag, one of the shorter bags I could find at 36" since the RFB is only 26" long even though it has an 18" barrel. If you're wondering why it's on fire its because you can't put it on safe once the trigger is pulled (decocked).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nov 7, 2019 #2
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 25K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +18,724 / 378
    Nice.

I had one of the first gen RDB's; it had a few issues, and wasn’t particularly accurate...but it wasn’t terrible, either.

Hope yours is better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nov 9, 2019 #3
    RoyalsFan

RoyalsFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I took it to the range last Tuesday for the first time and was adjusting the gas, ended up setting it to B+13 (13 clicks left/loose from bottom, or closed.) This was with Aguila 7.62x51 150g FMJBT (boat tail). It's available, easy to spot, and affordable brass. I have 5 Kel-Tec mags, I haven't tried them all but I think one might be having trouble feeding and keeping the bolt open after the last round. I have all 5 mags loaded now and am waiting on my M4-72 brake to come in the mail. So the next range session will consist of zeroing my scope and testing my mags...and having a blast with my muzzle brake. ha.

4. Nov 12, 2019 #4
    anm2_man

anm2_man XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 3
    Nice - I have a Gen 1 RFB, as long as the gas system is set correctly, its been an effective weapon. The only downside is that if you are shooting at an elevated target, spent cartridge ejection suffers. It struggles pushing the spent cartridges up hill.

RFB_30a.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nov 12, 2019 #5
    RoyalsFan

RoyalsFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I took it to the range again Sunday, shot 100 rounds of Aguila 7.62x51 150g FMJBT. I had 3 failure to feeds total from 2 different magazines. My other 3 magazines worked flawlessly. The M4-72 muzzle brake helps recoil but also blows your hair back. Makes it even more fun to shoot.

6. Nov 16, 2019 #6
    RoyalsFan

RoyalsFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Here's the new Precision Armament M4-72 brake. I haven't had any baffle strike and it works really well as a brake. Lots of blast, but lots of fun seeing guys peek into my booth to see that it's not the 9mm carbine they thought it was.

[​IMG]

7. Nov 22, 2019 #7
    RoyalsFan

RoyalsFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I had the privilege of going down south to my bro's land and shooting a mag full of Federal XM80C 7.62x51 149g FMJ brass, no malfunctions, didn't adjust the gas knob (B+13), and it ran great. I have a good feeling about this thing, I'm going to stick with 7.62NATO like i have been, if I don't I'll post it with the results. This thing has proved reliable thus far.

8. Nov 29, 2019 #8
    RoyalsFan

RoyalsFan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Did you notice a change in point of impact when you installed the rail and grip bipod? one guy on the Kel-Tec forum says he was 7" off from his normal POI when using a bipod on the barrel-mounted rail. I think that sounds a bit dramatic, whats your take?

9. Dec 1, 2019 #9
    anm2_man

anm2_man XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 3
    No I haven't. I added that riser because of having a difficult time trying to view the optic at a normal height. It's due to a arthritic issue in my neck, where I struggle to lower my head in plane to the optic so this rifle has always had that riser.

But I'm not one of those guys who try to be a 1 or 2 MOA. I figure if I can easily hit a 2'x2' steel target at 700yrds, I'm a happy camper. Since I normally shoot specially loaded incendiary rounds, for immediate comfirmation against steel targets at that range I know whether I hit it or not.