Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
128,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my third Kel-Tec PF-9 this week. These little pistols are flying on the shelf in my store. Each of the purchases was by an LEO for a BUG.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not much fun to shoot but damn accurate for it size and most are very reliable. Much flatter than a j-frame, more bullets, more powerful bullets, better trigger and sight. What's not to like. The recoil is stout but no worse than a light j-frame with +P loads. Will fit really easily into a cargo thpe pants pocket. Some of the earlier guns had problems. But the bugs are pretty much worked out. Like you said allot of LEO's are carrying them as BUG's and off duty guns.
Any problems and Kel Tec will bend over backwards to make things right. I carry the Hornady Critical Defense in mine. You can load it with +P loads but it just makes recoil much worse. I would rather have the easier to shoot, faster follow up shots of the standard pressure rounds. I've witnessed a bunch of testing in all kinds of mediums with the Critical Defense ammo. They expanded and pentrated well in everything they were shot into. No they are not made to shoot through auto windshields, or car doors. But they are made to open up after going through multiple layers of clothes.
As a civilian I'm not likely going to be shooting through doors or whatever. So the loads work fine for what I want them to do. In most of my other bigger 9mm's I carry either Winchester Ranger 12gr. +P+ or Federal 124gr. +P rounds. Just thought they might be rough on the little guns.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like my pf 9. I also carry mine with the Hornady CD rounds because the gun is reliable with them. I have a KT belt clip on mine for carry. I clip it on my waistband or belt and slip an extra mag in my pocket. Forget it is there half the time.
It is a bit snappy to shoot. I will only put 50 rounds max through it during a range trip. I have confidence in it as a carry piece.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've been carrying my PF-9 in the Right Front pocket for almost a Year and a half now with no problems. The recoil is enough to keep it from being a range plinker, but it's a very reliable and accurate Self Defense pistol.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I ordered one today, Park over black.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I carry mine every day. Great little pistol. Here's an improvement to it. An aluminum trigger. It's wider and make it much more comfortable to shoot. They are in beta testing and will be available soon.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm glad to hear KT has worked out there earlier problems with the PF9 as I believe there a good American Co. that has a good CS policy that's paying off for them in sales. I have a P3at that since break in has been nothing short of perfect. It's not fun gun to shoot, but has proven itself to be a reliable tool if ever needed.

Kudo's to KT for standing behinds there customers.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Carry mine every day. Not for the weak-wristed, but a firm grip will ensure 100% reliability. Early models did have some tech issues, but I think limp-wristing also contributes to A LOT of alleged "problems". I know some will say that a defensive handgun should function with a less-than-perfect grip, but we are talking about the lightest 9mm ever made. You gotta hold on to these little guys. Many also seem to have a strong preference for lighter projectiles. Mine shoots poa with 115 grain, but I would rather carry heavier bullets. If you can live with those downsides, it has tremendous upside. Disappears under a t shirt and holds 8 rounds 9mm, I know I can live with em.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
love my PF9 only had it for a little while I really need a good holster for it it does kick a bit but its accurate and reliable so i cant ask for anything more from it

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Took my PF9 to the steel shoot this afternoon. Pretty good at 11X18 plates at 15yds but not for the Texas Star at that same distance. It was fun and no issues with it. My hand hurts. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/63152-kel-tec-pf9-problems.html

There seem to be more than a few people having issues with them.

Limp wristing is a bunch of crapola, and an excuse used for why crappy weapons malfunction in my opinion. An arguement often used by happy owners to defend companies (Kimber anyone?) that may have shotty quality control. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
One of the few pocketable 9s out there. It will work your hand, but it still impresses how much punch it packs for its size.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/63152-kel-tec-pf9-problems.html

There seem to be more than a few people having issues with them.

Limp wristing is a bunch of crapola, and an excuse used for why crappy weapons malfunction in my opinion. An arguement often used by happy owners to defend companies (Kimber anyone?) that may have shotty quality control. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Assuming you are referring to my post. The thread you referenced is three years old. As mentioned earlier, the early models did not operate well. But KT figured out the problems and fixed em. I only have first-hand knowledge of 4 owners (myself included), that have recent model pf-9s. All operate perfectly. Limp-wristing is fact, not fiction. Almost any semi-auto can be induced to fail with a weak enough grip. Not just "crappy" guns. As far as defending kel-tec, they are what they are. A company that makes inexpensive, highly concealable, back-up guns for the budget-minded consumer. I hear they are great to deal with if you do have warranty issues.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I had a PF9 that I bought on election day in 2008. It ran like a top and cycled all FMJ and HP rounds that I threw at it. It was a great gun. Foolishly, I traded it for a KT P3AT, which has also been flawless but I do miss that PF9. So this weekend I went and bought a P11 since it holds a few more rounds, but I almost got another PF9.

Limp-wristing has nothing to do with the quality of a firearm, it has to do with physics which includes weight of the firearm, the spring and how the recoil is managed through the gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts