Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up for you guys looking for one of these.

Bought this a while ago as a BUG/slim carry gun/gun for wife to eventually carry.

Since purchase, Ive had constant issues including the following:

Terrible feeding issues. Not feeding, stovepiping, etc...

The firing pin does not strike hard enough to detonate the primer about 50% of the time with several types of ammo.

Last weekend while shooting the firing pin came out of the gun. :shock:

Im contacting Kel Tec Customer Support today.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Depending on the date it was made feeding issues could be an older barrel with a short feed ramp. Stove pipes are usually a sign of a loose grip. Firing pin coming out and light primer strikes are a sign of a loose bolt holding the extractor/firing pin, and maybe a rough striker channel.
Their tech support is excellent. They'll probably ask you to send it in for repairs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
which is most reliable ammo for pf9

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I shoot mainly 124g lead tc reloads, but also have 124 gd and want to test and use 147gr.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
For another perspective I also own a PF9 and have no issues with it, my carry ammo is 115gr. DPX corbon +P and my range ammo is federal 115gr.

Keltec has great customer service give them a call and they'll make it right.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The problem with Kel Tec's "great customer service" is they require you to pay the costs to send it to them (which means $$$ overnight if you aren't an FFL) and they take around 6 weeks to return your gun.

Go to KTOG.ORG and read up on some DIY fixes for the PF9 before you send it to Florida.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
For another perspective I also own a PF9 and have no issues with it, my carry ammo is 115gr. DPX corbon +P and my range ammo is federal 115gr.

Keltec has great customer service give them a call and they'll make it right.
Same perspective, but mine doesn't like 124gr DPX +p ... The slide will lock up sometimes.

But it's fine with all other ammo I have tried, so ... It might have been an overly hot batch of DPX.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Depending on how new it is, you can ask for a call tag.
Mine's almost 2 Yrs old now and has also been flawless since day 1. Most of my rounds are 115gr, but it also eats 124gr when it's available.

Check out "thektog.org" and you'll see that while there is No 1 Best Brand or load, the most "Problem Free" round happens to also one of the least expensive... WalMart Federal 115gr FMJ. Up until recently, many PF-9s did not like WalMart Winchester White Box (aka WWB) 115gr. Lately though, more and more are reporting no problems with it.

As for JHP... Likewise... No 1 Best Brand, but Speer LE Gold Dot (or just Gold Dot in general) and Hornady CD seem to be the top picks.

It's highly recommended to run at least 250 rounds of FMJ before experimenting with JHP... and to NOT run any Steel, Aluminum, or Polymer/Lacquer coated ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts