Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone carry a Kel-tec P3AT? Or another type of pocket pistol? I normally carry my sub .45, but this summer it stayed at home more than anything. So I was thinking of picking up a Kel-tec P3AT. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Does anyone carry a Kel-tec P3AT? Or another type of pocket pistol? I normally carry my sub .45, but this summer it stayed at home more than anything. So I was thinking of picking up a Kel-tec P3AT. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brent
my wife has one and i just took it out shooting for the first time yesterday and i gotta say i was really impressed with the little guy
im not sure if it was the ammo i was using or the nature of the gun but when i would fire i had lots of gunpowder flying outta the barrel it kinda looked like fireworks exploding everytime i shot
the only thing i didnt care for was the trigger pull since its a bit tough and doesnt change after the first shot or after you cock it like the xd .40 that i normally carry

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i do believe i will be picking one up for myself
currently i have a xd 40sc,a 1934 beretta corso that i just shot yesterday and that was the first time it had been shot since my grandfather brought it back from world war 2 from the german officer taht he killed,i also have a h&r model 949 22lr
i had never shot a 22 before yesterday since my dad just gave me the gun and i had to laugh becaue it felt like i was shooting a pop gun
it was fun to shoot but after 3 hours and 2000 rounds of 22lr ammo my finger was getting a bit tired

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

Thanks,
Brent
For close to the same price I would pick up a Ruger LCP. I had the P3AT and had many problems with it. I finally sent it back to the factory for repair and sold it when I got it back. And I am not the first person to have trouble with it. I think the Ruger is probably a little better made. I realize there were some initial problems with the LCP, but it seems that they have gotten most of them worked out. After 2 generations of the Kel-tec they still couldn't resolve their problems.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
For close to the same price I would pick up a Ruger LCP. I had the P3AT and had many problems with it. I finally sent it back to the factory for repair and sold it when I got it back. And I am not the first person to have trouble with it. I think the Ruger is probably a little better made. I realize there were some initial problems with the LCP, but it seems that they have gotten most of them worked out. After 2 generations of the Kel-tec they still couldn't resolve their problems.
the lcp is an exact clone of the kel tec
i dunn i have no problems with my wifes little angry cricket
she has about 1000 ounds through it in a little less than a month and we have never even had the slightest hiccup

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Got one. Works fine, lasts a long time. No problems with it. Carry it every day along with my XD-45 Compact.
;););)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I recently bought one and i love it, shoot 100 rnds out of the box 0 malfunctions, the trigger is not bad, the recoil isnt to bad either for it size, i was expecting a lot of recoil, but it wasnt bad.

I forget the i have in my pocket with a desantis nemesis holster

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have a Kel Tec P3AT that I carry when I cannot fit anything else with my wardrobe for the day. So far, the Kel Tec has been flawless with Speer Gold Dots and Remington FMJs. I have ZERO discomfort with the reliability of the gun, but I don't like to carry it as my ONLY firearm because of the size. But, like many say, better to have a .380 on you than a 9mm or .40 in the drawer at home.

The Kel Tec's have been steadily improving (so I'm told) but the one I have really needs nothing to be a good back-up gun and, honestly, I'm confident that at self-defense ranges this gun would do the job.

joe

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one, it's in my pocket every day. I bought it because I took the family to the beach this year and some shorts just aren't conducive to carrying an IBW (no belt), so having one in your pocket is better than having something bigger in the safe.

>500 rnds - 0 problems.

I always have it with me, whether I'm carrying my goto piece or just the p3at BUG, it's always in a pocket or snapped on with the belt clip.

.380 may be a small round, but maybe it'll make you feel better if you call it 9mm kurz or 9mm Browning short.

M

·
0 Posts
Just got the P3AT last Friday and its been in my pocket ever since. Great gun! Shoots flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
I carry a Keltec P32 and love it. It has been my daily carry since around 2001-2002.

I carry one spare magazine and figure that if I shoot something 7+ times with a .32, I should stand a fair chance of being OK! If not, I'll reload and do it again!

I trust my life and that of my family to this little gun. I am accurate with it and it is always with me!

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Bought one for the girl friend, I had to fire about 50 rounds to get the "spurs" out as they call it. Great gun put 150 more rounds in it and it was all point and click. I didn't try it past 20 feet. I figure that anything I get into with that will be close range. It was dead on... I often carry it with my compact xd45. When I go jogging at night i carry the P3A in my pocket no holster yet. The trigger is long however there is a reason for this. My dad is a Police officer and put's on in his left shirt pocket as a back up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I too love my P3AT. My .45 XDc is my primary but there are times when I can't or won't carry it. I carry the 3AT right front pocket Nemisis holster. Fit and finish ehh. Pull the trigger it sents a JHP down range every time. I have had the Ruger in my hand and it is prettier fit and finish wise. A tad heavier. They can't keep them in stock! This week I had the PF9 in my hand too. The temptation was overwelming but She-who-must-be-obeyed was right there so I put it on my wish list (tentative)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow great responses. I like the LCP too but good luck getting one around here. 3 month wait list. I guess I'll pick one up when I get rid of my XD9.

Thanks,
Brent

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I carry a P3AT when what I'm wearing won't work with the xd45c. I added the Agrip and the CT laser. The Agrip makes it much more comfortable to shoot. I'm still not happy with the trigger but for the money it's better then nothing and have not had any issues. Buddy of mine has the LCP. Trigger is a little better on it. Add the Agrip to the LCP and you have a perfect pocket/backup.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I have one and I think it's a great little pistol. It's not a main carry weapon by any means, but it is a great little gun if concealability is a priority.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts