Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After my girlfriends boss showed her a Kel-Tec P3A in .380 she fell in love. I on the other hand was a little leery of it. I didn't know a lot about the brand. After reading that the 1st generation and 2nd had a lot of problems, I went looking for a 3rd generation Kel-Tec. I asked around had a hard time finding the .380 when I did I paid right around 300.00 dollars for it. The lady at Fort Harrison Firearms in Largo Fl swore by it. She was carrying one. She recommended Federal ammunition low recoil round. When I got home and tried to load the firearm, it would not load. The slide would not go forward. The one time I got it to go forward the round would not come out of the slide. I called Fort Harrison Firearms and they made it sound like I was a moron. So I brought the gun back to them. She tried to load the firearm, no luck. So we then tried three different brands of ammo. Finally the third one would allow the slide to go forward. However you have to push the slide forward to get the round to chamber. The lady at the gun store told me now that there was a 200 round break in period. I was mad to say the least. She gave me 50 rounds of FMJ to shoot. I took it to the range and shoot that first 50 rounds through the gun. Had to failure to ejects. Went to the range today to put more rounds through it. I put four rounds trough it,then it well "JAMS" if you take a P3A apart you will see two springs on the guide rod. Well the smaller spring comes out of the front of the gun. I am so mad with this firearm. I am thinking this gun is a lemon. I would tell anyone thinking about getting one to reconsider this firearm. I have shot thousands of rounds through my Smith's and XD's with out any issues. We will see how Kel-Tec handles the situation, I want the gun replaces as I do not trust my life to it. What experiences have you had with this firearm? What would you expect them to do. Thinking of getting a RUGER now.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Man, those "Low Recoil rounds suck for the .380" However the Kel-tec and the lcp voice against the +P rounds.
Sorry to hear of your problems.
My Bersa/Firestorm DUO haven't let me down with +P ammo.

A .380 is already a "low recoil" round for a 9mm! why in the heck would you want to get less out of it?!?!
Don't use a weapon that suggest you use a non +p ammo for .380.
If .380, use the hottest round you can get with a weapon you can shoot it in.
Cull that Kel-tec and get a S/A, D/A weapon. You'll be surprised at the accuracy difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bersa Thunder; Firestorm; is one, Walther PPK (if you're rich), and the Colt Mustang series. All Rock and All fire +P Ammo!
"Low recoil rnds" have a light powder charge and sometimes don't have the uummmph to eject a spent rnd. Don't depend on 'em!

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I got one for my wife recently and it's been 100% right out of the box and it's pretty damned accurate too. We fed it FMJ's & HP's and it ate them all. She loves it and I like it also, I'm thinking of getting one for me.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Man, those "Low Recoil rounds suck for the .380" However the Kel-tec and the lcp voice against the +P rounds.
Sorry to hear of your problems.
My Bersa/Firestorm DUO haven't let me down with +P ammo.

A .380 is already a "low recoil" round for a 9mm! why in the heck would you want to get less out of it?!?!
Don't use a weapon that suggest you use a non +p ammo for .380.
If .380, use the hottest round you can get with a weapon you can shoot it in.
Cull that Kel-tec and get a S/A, D/A weapon. You'll be surprised at the accuracy difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bersa Thunder; Firestorm; is one, Walther PPK (if you're rich), and the Colt Mustang series. All Rock and All fire +P Ammo!
"Low recoil rnds" have a light powder charge and sometimes don't have the uummmph to eject a spent rnd. Don't depend on 'em!

Uhhh.. no such beast as a +P .380. There are companies out there that sell "+P.380" rounds however since there is no SAMMI specification for a 380 +P, there technically is no such beast. That is why Ruger and Keltec and a few other gun makers warn against using +P 380 rounds

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I want to add that my Kel Tec has been 100% out of the box, too. I've fed it Speer Gold Dot HPs and Remington FMJs without so much as a hiccup. With any manufacturer you can get a lemon - it's not the design that's flawed (otherwise we would ALL have complaints about our KT's). Hope you get it fixed up.

joe

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Many others have had great luck with the P3AT. I did not. I have multiple jams in the gun. Also the hole for the guide rod was opening up which is what happened to yours to allow the spring to come out. I sent mine back to the manufacturer where they replaced the slide and barrel. Then I sold it and bought a SW 642.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
I will never ever touch another Crap-Tec after my P3AT purchase. I still can't wash the cheap junky feeling off my hands. my frame cracked after a week and it is a BI*CH to replace yourself. I loved the idea of this pocket piece, probably step up to the Ruger LCP now

EVERYONE SAVE YOUR MONEY, TIME, AND SANITY,,,,STAY AWAY FROM THIS JUNK. IT'S NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Too late, I own 3 Kel-Tec products and trust each of them. My carry is the PF-9. The jams some of you talk about may be caused by limp-wristing. These are very light pistols and need a firm grip to help it cycle. As far as Customer Service, they are A+. :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Uhhh.. no such beast as a +P .380. There are companies out there that sell "+P.380" rounds however since there is no SAMMI specification for a 380 +P, there technically is no such beast. That is why Ruger and Keltec and a few other gun makers warn against using +P 380 rounds
I know I did penetration and expansion test on 8 different .380 rounds.
The MagTech Guardian Gold .380AUTO +p 85gr JHPs penetrated farther with 1/2" expantion, than any other.
Ya got to admitt, weather SAMMI agrees or not, the more powder, the closer you are to 9mm performance. The spent cartriges show no signs of too much charge, split shells or expanded primers.
So many people have complained about these "low recoil rnds" not having the umph to even eject the shells. Why would anyone call them dependable?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
The jams some of you talk about may be caused by limp-wristing. These are very light pistols and need a firm grip to help it cycle.
Actually many of the problems that people have with them are not due to limp-wristing. They are due to a problematic extractor or the guide rod hole at the front of the slide opening up so much that the guide rod spring pops out. Many people have had to go and buy a plastic washer to keep it from getting worse. You can read about many of the problems on ktog.org But don't just assume that everyone's or most people's problems are due to their inability to properly handle the firearm. Many people have great luck with these, but many also have had problems with some being resolved and some not.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Well the smaller spring comes out of the front of the gun. I am so mad with this firearm. I am thinking this gun is a lemon. I would tell anyone thinking about getting one to reconsider this firearm. I have shot thousands of rounds through my Smith's and XD's with out any issues. We will see how Kel-Tec handles the situation, I want the gun replaces as I do not trust my life to it. What experiences have you had with this firearm? What would you expect them to do. Thinking of getting a RUGER now.
Actually many of the problems that people have with them are not due to limp-wristing. They are due to a problematic extractor or the guide rod hole at the front of the slide opening up so much that the guide rod spring pops out. Many people have had to go and buy a plastic washer to keep it from getting worse. You can read about many of the problems on ktog.org But don't just assume that everyone's or most people's problems are due to their inability to properly handle the firearm. Many people have great luck with these, but many also have had problems with some being resolved and some not.
That guide rod problem is an indication of an older model problem that was fixed in later models ... per information I have read at the KTOG forums.

As for other issues ... The break-in is an issue due to manufacturing methods ... Would you have bought one if it cost $100 more ??
I did a Fluff and Buff (Search KTOG) and have had no feeding problems since then.

Kel-Tec will fix it ... I understand they are pretty good at warranty repair.
FWIW, I own a P3-AT, PF-9, and PLR-16 ... I have had no real problems with any of them.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Too late, I own 3 Kel-Tec products and trust each of them. My carry is the PF-9. The jams some of you talk about may be caused by limp-wristing. These are very light pistols and need a firm grip to help it cycle. As far as Customer Service, they are A+. :D
I agree ... I can make my P3 jam, whenever I want, by holding it incorrectly ... Little guns need a proper hold;)

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Unfortunately after you run enough for a proper "break-in" the pistol is worn out and useless junk at that poing. Well you can throw it, but my nephew has a Nerf toy that weighs more ;)

See my pics above. Their HillBilly "Customer service" (use that term loosely) actually picked up the phone, so they got that part right :rolleyes:

Sure, they offered to send me a new frame for the cracked one. I said, "So I'm supposed to take the guts out and put it back together?"

"Yep" was their answer. I said, "shouldn't you guy fix this for me, or just replace it with a new uncracked one?"

"Well because you'd have to ship it all back, shipping would cost you quite a bit." "Then of course we'd have to ship it back to you the same way and UPS is pretty expensive." "However, if you want to, you can ship it to us by UPS, FedEx." All that shipping is about what you paid for the pistol (he gave a pathetic laugh)" Now I'm PISSED

"Uhhhhh, this is your defective product, it has a warranty. Shouldn't you guys pay for the shipping both way?" "I'm not a gunsmith and regardless, this thing is tiny, I don't think I have tools small enough to do it properly."

"Oh, we will ship your frame with a page of instructions"

So I don't want to pay 1/3 of what the pistol is worth to ship it to them. I've already determined I'm selling it once it's functional again. If a gun cracks that easy, I'm not trusting my life to it. If it does it again, their "customer service" is so bad I don't want to deal with them again.

So the frame comes. I start to disassemble it from the ONE Page of instructions that has been a copy of a copy of a copy so many times the "pictures" are useless. The cheap polymer pins will not come out and they are not a 'typical' punch size. So I destroy the first pin and of course they did not mail me extra pins. So I call them, "ok, we'll send you a few pins", a** holes! I had to buy extra tools, including a few dentist cleaning pics.

I mean, they know they build a crap P3AT, at least stand behind it and fix it. Not even an apology that it's suffered a catastrophic break. It's not my fault they only charge a little for such a cheap pistol. An excuse that the shipping would cost what the pistol itself costs, so I should just buy another is the worst excuse i've ever heard in my life!! BS!

They should at least learn of a pay to get all their defective pistols shipped back for repair. Of course, with so many pieces of crap floating around, UPS would be rich and Krap-Tec would be bankrup from all the shipping costs

Several hours of my life I'll never get back. If I ever win or inherit (never happen my friends/family don't buy crap weapons), I'm melting it down into an LCP or a Glock magazine. I know criminals who are smart enough to never take a Kel-Crap into a crime they are to commit. THey have literally said "Ni**a, I don't want that plastic piece of crap! Give me that Hi-Point, it weights almost as big as my di*k!" :roll: (Ok, I made that sentence up, but it's dang close to being true!:grin:

We should export the Kel-Tecs to the Taliban. They would be so busy trying to fix the breakages w/ camel dung and they would be so frustrated with the redneck "customer service" rep, they'd just go insane and commit suicide (but not with the Kel-Tecs :eek:)

That guide rod problem is an indication of an older model problem that was fixed in later models ... per information I have read at the KTOG forums.

As for other issues ... The break-in is an issue due to manufacturing methods ... Would you have bought one if it cost $100 more ??
I did a Fluff and Buff (Search KTOG) and have had no feeding problems since then.

Kel-Tec will fix it ... I understand they are pretty good at warranty repair.
FWIW, I own a P3-AT, PF-9, and PLR-16 ... I have had no real problems with any of them.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec P-11 and have had no problems at all, 600 rounds or so, but ready your story I don't think you could ever trust it. Take it back and talk to the lady at Fort Harrison Firearms in Largo Fl, and see if she will let you trade it in on a Ruger LCP. I picked mine up Tues, and plan on shooting it this weekend.

Sorry to hear about your problems, and some others. Good Luck

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have purchased and sold a Kel=Tec PF9 because of FTF, FTE, and got a round stuck in the chamber and couldn't open the slide. I sent it back twice for fixes and had to wait 6 weeks each time to get it back. Needless to say that gun is no longer in my posession.

What have I learned, there is about a 50/50 split on pro vs con on Kel=Tec. That type of review is not one that I would spend my hard earned money on. The PF9's price is what suckered me in, I ended up spending twice the money and bought a Kahr PM9. Morel of the story, you always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All of my Kel-Tec products have been great… a couple P-11’s, a few P-32’s & now my P3AT.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I love my PA3T I have nearly 800 rounds through it never 1 problem and I carry it every day, agreed it's not the highest quality but then again I trust my life with it. Hell I had a xd that would have constant failures to feed, and would stove pipe, jam up and was a royal pain in the ass, I had it fixed then traded it in for a new xd, so I gues this can happen with any firearm, like any product some people will have bad experiences with them.

·
Registered
749 Posts
+1 on Ruger LCP. I love mine and it is very accurate after you get used to the long trigger pull. Watch out for trigger slap though. If it wasn't for the trigger slap I could shoot it all day long. The recoil really isn't that bad.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts