Springfield XD Forum banner

Keeping XD9 in my truck...

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  stealthcarry 
#1 ·
Hi folks....newbie here....it's my first post. Looks like you've got an awesome forum here.

I bought myself an XD9 this weekend. I love it so far. I've read about the rust issues and hopefully I won't have any, but I plan on using some Armadillo and all that jazz. Anyway, my question....

Is there any harm in keeping the gun in my truck? I plan on keeping it in a holster in my center console when I'm not at the range shooting it. It will be in a closed compartment by itself. I know that a vehicle is a very hot and humid environment in the summer time and a cold dry environment in the winter. Any tips on how I should store it in the vehicle to protect the finish?

Also, I have not bought a holster yet. Can anyone recommend a nice holster that will house the gun and have a pouch for an extra 10 round mag? I would like to keep the gun in the holster, one mag in the gun, one mag in the pouch. I travel quite a bit for work and that's the primary reason beyond loving to shoot that I bought the gun.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Yes.. there is a problem leaving your pistol in your truck... the person who smashes your windshield to get into your glove compartment looking for your ID will gladly trade your pistol for a rock of crack cocaine.. then your gun will end up with it's serial number ground off, and placed firmly in the hands of a Crip or a Blood and used to shoot at or near a gang banger... the round that is shot will most likely not kill a rival gang member, but will go through the wall of an innocent persons home, into the bedroom of a 9 year old girl killing her.

Don't leave your pistol in your truck. Get a holster, wear it with you always, you may be required to use it someday... you can't use it if it is in your truck.

Raymond

#3 ·
Captain Ray said:
Yes.. there is a problem leaving your pistol in your truck... the person who smashes your windshield to get into your glove compartment looking for your ID will gladly trade your pistol for a rock of crack cocaine.. then your gun will end up with it's serial number ground off, and placed firmly in the hands of a Crip or a Blood and used to shoot at or near a gang banger... the round that is shot will most likely not kill a rival gang member, but will go through the wall of an innocent persons home, into the bedroom of a 9 year old girl killing her.

Don't leave your pistol in your truck. Get a holster, wear it with you always, you may be required to use it someday... you can't use it if it is in your truck.

Raymond
I agree….get yourself a concealed carry license/permit…..or if you are somewhere that you can’t carry regularly then get a lock box that is going to take a cutting torch to get into. Center consoles and glove box’s are too easy to break into.

#4 ·
Captain Ray said:

Raymond
+1

#5 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
Points taken...

I should have my concealed carry permit before the end of this month. I'll ditch the truck console idea...too risky. For everyday concealed carry though, I will probably want something smaller. I didn't buy the sub-compact model, I bought the 4" service model.

Thanks for the comments!

#9 ·
Stealthcarry,

Hello there....I went to the show on Saturday, but ended up buying the XD9 over at Bud's in Paris.

I did pick up a 3.4" Walther P22 at the show for my wife. It's the new carbon fiber frame....nice little piece for her.

Small world....

#17 ·
BQXD9 said:
Stealthcarry,

Hello there....I went to the show on Saturday, but ended up buying the XD9 over at Bud's in Paris.

I did pick up a 3.4" Walther P22 at the show for my wife. It's the new carbon fiber frame....nice little piece for her.

Small world....

I went on Saturday as well. I bought my XD Subcompact at Bud's, they seem pretty good to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.