Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to XD's so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Are there any REAL concerns about keeping the gun loaded and cocked? Will it weaken the firing pin spring? I've heard (on other gun forums) that XD's have a problem with light primer strikes. If this is the case, I don't want to weaken the spring any further.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
When I carried it's was always loaded. I guess I had th same feeling as you and did not like to have it cocked all the time when I'm at home. So for me I carried it cocked, when I was at home, empty chamber, hammer down full mag in. That's just me. Now I just have a DAO revolver for carry and HD. It's all up to you dude.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Where did you read XD's had issues with light primer strikes?

The firing pins do have a tendancy to stick if you oil the channel or don't clean it every so often...but I have never heard of spring issues.

My XD stays cocked and locked unless I am shooting it. Never any problems

·
Registered
538 Posts
Cocked all the way. Springs don't lose tension by being in a static mode. It is the compression and expansion which will weaken metal over time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
my xdm stays cocked and locked. no fail to fires.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I've had one since early 2007, have put over 13,000 rounds through it, and it's basically always cocked.

As others have said,
It's nothing to be concerned about.

And I'll second what xdmp said about oiling the striker ... That's the one thing you want to avoid.
A light strike because of this is not a gun problem, it's an operator problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. Carrying "cocked and locked" doesn't bother me. I'm very conscious and aware when handling my pistol. My main concern was spring tension.
And to answer one poster's question, I read it somewhere on this forum that some XD's have light primer strikes.
I guess its just guys complaining about nothing, kinda like the guys do about the Gen4 glocks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As was mentioned before... springs weaken from being worked, not from being statically compressed, so you should have no issue keeping it cocked. I keep both of mine stoked and cocked 24-7.

·
Registered
538 Posts
As was mentioned before... springs weaken from being worked, not from being statically compressed, so you should have no issue keeping it cocked. I keep both of mine stoked and cocked 24-7.
Huh, I like that quote. "Cocked and Locked" works for my 1911, but there's no real "Lock" per the original quotation. Stocked and Cocked...I'm using this line!

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Huh, I like that quote. "Cocked and Locked" works for my 1911, but there's no real "Lock" per the original quotation. Stocked and Cocked...I'm using this line!

You confused the snot out of me until I read the quote. Big difference between a stock and a stoke

·
Premium Member
127,151 Posts
Carry safely!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
same here, cocked and locked 24/7.. was a little hesitant about leaving a fully loaded mag at 1st thinking it would weaken the spring but... thats a farce anymore!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stocked and Cocked for me too.

Statics new nick name... Trend Setter:)

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Stoked and cocked, not stocked and cocked. All firearms have stocks, it dont matter if its loaded or not, they still have stocks.

My fridge is stocked. My CZ82 on me is stoked right now and still has stocks (the grips on pistols can also be called stocks).

If you use stocked you would have to say it like this if the pistol is loaded. Stocked stoked and cocked lol...................

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Will it weaken the firing pin spring? I've heard (on other gun forums) that XD's have a problem with light primer strikes.

I can't imagine what forum those words of wisdom (bovine excrement)came from.:rolleyes:
Good grief!!! It's not like SA just introduced the XD line of pistols yestereday.

I'm always amazed at some of the unfounded and negative things people will say about another brand of pistol just to validate there purchase. :confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts