Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Pm 9 or 45...

for daily concealed carry, personal prejudice lends me to want the bigger caliber, and both are rated for +P. anyone have experience with the PM 45? hows the kick/muzzle jump? the 45 is slightly bigger making pocket carry slightly less plausible (but my wife can adjust my pockets easily enough) and I'm hoping the kholster will work for me.

thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks all

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
JMO but a PM9 with +P 9mm JHP round should be plenty. Plus a 9mm you get more to use.:D I own a PM9 and it's my edc. Great gun comfortable size and will get the job done.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Let me know what you decide on and once you get it how it is. I am strongly considering the PM9 because my XDm 40 compact just feels too big in my opinion for everyday concealed carry.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I pocket carry a PM9 when off duty (GLOCK 22 and 27 on duty)...

I went with the PM9 (added the Crimson Trace laser) over a larger caliber after considering capacity and user friendliness. Their little .45 would have to be a b!tch to shoot! Plus, there is it's low capacity. The little 9mm is a great size and weight, and conceals VERY nicely. I love it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Even my PM9 gives a good kick, especially with +P ammo. Have not shot a PM45, but did shoot a CW45 and it was a lot to handle. Get what you shoot the best....

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I carry a Pm 40 in the hot Florida summer. I have not tried their PM 45. I love the PM 40.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own the PM45 and to be honest I didn't like it at first. After shooting the first mag I set her down and thought to myself, "How can I get the store to take it back?" haha. But the more I shoot it the more I love it! Very accurate for what it is. I did throw on a Hogue slip on grip since I thought the grip was too aggressive and hurt the hand with such a large caliber round in such a small package. Definately not for pocket carry IMHO. But for me, the PM9 wouldn't be either. Hard to beat out the LCP in that role for me...

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
PM9 easier to handle and more compact.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm not terribly sensitive to recoil so I'm not sure that would be a big deciding factor for me. However, if you are at all recoil sensitive, the PM45 is going to be a lot of whollup in a small package with very little grip.

Beyond that, the PM9 is about as large and heavy as I would want in my pocket. I carry mine in an el-cheapo Blackhawk holster when carrying in-pocket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome, thank you so much for the replies, it sounds like the general opinion is in favor of the PM9, I just wish i could shoot both before purchasing.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I went back & forth on the same quandry. The 45 fit my hand better, but only 5 rounds, may as well carry a revolver.
I shot them both, did not really have many different issues with the larger caliber. That big bullet is going awful slow out of such a short barrel, so the caliber debate did not really win me over.
I went with the 9mm with the extra rounds & an extra capacity extended magazine in the other pocket. It does what I need it to do.
I wouldn't change my mind, the PM9 is like Goldielocks....just right ;-)

I did have to melt the slide release lever as it cuts the s**t out of my thumb. But I have to do that with all Kahr handguns.
The right holster helps for pocket. I had a kydex mold that fit & made it look like a typical square wallet. Before that I had a leater OWB

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I don't know if anyone mentioned this in any one the other reply's, But PM series(don't know about the CWand CM series)pistols have the widest trigger of any pistol I own which IMO making it a very comfortable trigger being it's a DAO striker fired pistol.
I believe the PM9 is a little big to be considered a pants pocket pistol, but that could be because of the way I dress. Others seem to have no problem with it. I only seem to be able to pull it off if I'm wearing cargo shorts.
I usually carry mine in a jacket or vest pocket if I'm carrying in a pocket. I normally carry mine IWB in a DeSantis D6 holster in the 8:30 postion. (left handed) I love the 45 caliber ACP round in a full size pistol like a 1911 or similiar. In a small pistol like the PM series Karhs I doubt I'd like it very much, or be very accurate with it. The PM9 though is a very user friendly,reliable pistol with great ergonomics and is very accurate for what it is, and what it is designed to do. Good luck with whatever one you decide to purchase as I really doubt you can go wrong with either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts