Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend just came back from range with some, what I think, are serious problems with this new piece. I need your opinions
He cannot removed that "dot" inside the barrel no matter what type of cleaning he has done. He had some key hole flyers. He had stovepipe jams and failure to feeds.
I say, looking at the slide, that he is lucky it didn't shear off and wack him in the face.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Damn, those pics look rough. Is this brand gun new or new to him?

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
I fail to see how the slide would come off.

Looks like a flaw on the inside of the slide, yes...as for the dot in the barrel...is it something that can be caught with a pick? Is it a divot, or a discoloration...

Either way, if it freaks him out, send it back to Kahr, let the Moonies deal with it.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The crack on the inside of the slide, that's not good.

Send it back, let Kahr deal with it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brand new pistol. That is a raised dot in barrel. Cleaned many times and used a metal pick tool. Will not move. Don't think slide would have come off totally but if that crack took off entire portion of the slide that retained the spring I would not want it in my hand at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The "dot" inside the barrel looks like there might have been an imperfection in the steel when the barrel was forged. If that is the case, the barrel should be replaced under warranty, especially considering the price premium of the PM over the CM series. As for the slide, is it a crack or rough machining? If it's the latter, that might be causing some drag on the recoil spring assembly, which would account for the FTF/FTE issues. In that case smoothing out the rough edges with some light filing should do the trick. If it is a crack the gun is likely unsafe to be shooting.

As far as keyhole flyers go, I'd be a bit skeptical of that being a reality unless the barrel is completely out of spec. Usually keyholing happens after a barrel has had thousands of rounds through it and the rifling is shot.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Good gravy!

Hopefully they don't drop the ball and take care of him. I've heard Kahr CS is less than desirable though.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I'm away from my guns right now but IIRC that "cracked slide" is completely normal on my Sigs and probobly others.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
It's not normal on Glocks. That looks like **** and shows weakness in the machining or metal.

I'd be pissed if any of my guns had that and they'd be going back.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I'm away from my guns right now but IIRC that "cracked slide" is completely normal on my Sigs and probobly others.
I've never seen it on any of my guns. If I had to the factory it would have been a going.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I've never seen it on any of my guns. If I had to the factory it would have been a going.
Finally got to look this afternoon, none of mine have it but I HAVE seen this before somewhere. Hmmm didn't Czech my CZs or 1911s.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
In something that was broken?

Metal isn't suppose to break off like that. It's a bit of an issue.
It's going to happen in long slide guns.
In order to let the barrel tilt down to unlock, the material between the spring and the barrel ( if the design uses any ) must be increasingly thin towards the rear, SO thin in some cases that any little inconsistency will result in an asymmetry and the entire area can almost literally crumble. The area needs no strength so no big deal. In the Kahrs case there is obviously no long slide involved so I would see what they have to say about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts