Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an xdm 40, and while I can use it for ccw, I feel it is just too big/bulky for my tastes in that regard. That being said, I would like your opinions of the Kahr MK 40. I would like to stick with the 40 caliber, but may consider going to a 9 if I had to. I would mostly carry IWB, but would like the option to pocket carry on occasion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I say go for it. My brother in law has one that he uses as a bug for his 1911. I shot it, and while it did jam a couple of times ( failure to return to battery, I attribute to his pistol cleaning measures, or lack thereof) it was a low recoiling gun for the caliber. Add to this, the smooth trigger, and compact size, I don't think that you could go wrong. My Sig p290 is the same size and wieght, though 9mm. I also use it as a bug in the ankle carry role ( he pocket carries). These guns are easy to carry and shoot. Kahr has the better trigger, and of course your caliber. You might also want to check out a pm40 for the lighter carry wieght. Best of luck, and please let us know what you choose.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I have a MK40 rock solid weapon. Needs to be broken in but good after that. Very accurate nice smooth DOA trigger.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have a Kahr, but it's the PM not MK. Nice little gun, but not the most fun to shoot. Not a fan of the trigger. Great as a back-up gun. Have you handled the XDsc? It carries very well...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Kahr, but it's the PM not MK. Nice little gun, but not the most fun to shoot. Not a fan of the trigger. Great as a back-up gun. Have you handled the XDsc? It carries very well...
I have tried the sc, but I feel like it is a little thicker then what I would like. have you had any problems with your PM 40?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
How does the recoil compare to a full size xd or xdm? I have heard complains that it is heavy, do you find this is an issue?
MK40 is not a light gun, but while manageable recoil is much more than a XD or XDM. not as stout as a PM40 but it will make follow up shots slower. It doesnt hurt though just kicks. Trigger is very smooth and it carries very well. Nice smooth edges so IWB carry is comfy.

It is dense for the size but i can even ankle carry with little issue so weight really doesnt bother me. And i am very sensitive to carrying heavy guns they annoy me.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Remember though Kahrs need 300 or so rounds to break in this is important do not carry the gun until you do so.

Mine

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Never fired an MK, but fired plenty of P, PM, and CW series. My newest carry piece is a CW45. It has run like a top since I opened the box.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Thanks. No its the standard model with night sights. I added the grips after.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I carry a pm 40 about 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any small .40 is, of course, going to snap fairly bad, but then these guns aren't designed to be range bunnies. They are designed to be with you when you need them most. Kahr is really one of the most underrated gun manufacturers around these days. Every single one of their products that I've handled has exhibited extreme levels of quality and attention to detail. Go for it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a PM40, and it was a fantastic weapon. It was just a tad too heavy for pocket carry. I imagine that the MK would be a hip only weapon, but it would most certainly be rock solid.

I would assume that the shootability of the MK and PM would be similar, but they could be different. If the MK is anything like the PM, it will be VERY easy to point shoot. I figured out with my PM40 that I could just put the front sight on the target and it would score a solid, accurate hit. I had TruGlo night sights, but if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the XS Big Dot.

The only reason I sold my PM40 was because I bought a S&W 442, and the PM40 never got carried after that. After looking at the pic above, it kind of makes me want to get a MK or K40. I really wish Kahr would make a K45.

...on Earth, as it is in Texas

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I had a PM40, and it was a fantastic weapon. It was just a tad too heavy for pocket carry. I imagine that the MK would be a hip only weapon, but it would most certainly be rock solid.

I would assume that the shootability of the MK and PM would be similar, but they could be different. If the MK is anything like the PM, it will be VERY easy to point shoot. I figured out with my PM40 that I could just put the front sight on the target and it would score a solid, accurate hit. I had TruGlo night sights, but if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the XS Big Dot.

The only reason I sold my PM40 was because I bought a S&W 442, and the PM40 never got carried after that. After looking at the pic above, it kind of makes me want to get a MK or K40. I really wish Kahr would make a K45.

...on Earth, as it is in Texas
I owned a PM40 before the MK the MK is much easier on recoil but still pretty strong. Pocket carry is out its to heavy. But IWB or HIP or ankle is easy.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, its what I wanted to hear. Now do you think the PM would be any less reliable then the all steel MK?
I had a PM40 and had many failures thats why i got rid of it. Kahrs polymer guns are good now but they werent always, they had issues for a while. Their steel guns are much more robust and have never had issues. The MK is heavier neither is really great at pocket carry anyways so i think the MK is better of the two.

This is my pocket carry now its a PM380 great gun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. No its the standard model with night sights. I added the grips after.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
I had a PM40 and had many failures thats why i got rid of it. Kahrs polymer guns are good now but they werent always, they had issues for a while. Their steel guns are much more robust and have never had issues. The MK is heavier neither is really great at pocket carry anyways so i think the MK is better of the two.

This is my pocket carry now its a PM380 great gun.

Cool picture

1 - 19 of 19 Posts