Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery on a Kahr cm9 and to rack the slide it takes a very strong effort. I can just barely get it to chamber a round using both hands and nearly oll my strength. The gun has not been fired yet. Is this normal and the slide will get easier to pull back to chamber a round after the 200 round breakin? Or is there some other reason for the extra strong spring effort? I must be getting weak in my older age.:oops:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Mine had a pretty stiff spring. After a couple of hundred it should get a bit easier but it will probably always have a higher effort than most pistols.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Just got a CW9 last week and have about 200 rds through it. Can't tell that the slide is getting easier to rack. Seems best to run it to slide lock, ram another mag in it, and hit the slide stop to load it up. I agree with CW45; it's probably always going to be a little tougher than most other pistols. I haven't shot mine enough to start worrying about changing springs like I do in most guns. This may be the one that stays stock and I'll just have to start eating my Wheaties before going to the range.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
About 1000 rounds estimated. Used to count but don't anymore. Very stiff new, now still somewhat stiff but better than when new. Zero stoppages. Hope this helps kinda. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I fondled a couple CM9s at the gun show last weekend and I noticed, too, how difficult the slide was. I've also heard that a lot of Kahrs are really tight from the factory and because of that are prone to stovepipes and such, and require a really good break in to loosen things up. Once they do, however, they run like champs. If you go over to KahrTalk Home there's a recommended break in procedure to get the most out of your gun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Completely normal. Kahrs are very tight when new.

They definitely get looser when shot. The recommended break in is to shoot at least 200 rds through it. Also hand racking the slide by hand a few hundred times gets things settled in as well. I recommend you use a good grease and lube it up well also.

It will always have a heavy spring to rack but gets better and you get stronger and better at racking it in time.

Go over to Kahrtalk.com and look in the TECH section for the sticky's- Prepping your new Kahr and Kahr lube chart for some more info.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Try leaving the slide locked back in the safe for a few days. That has helped with a few stiff pistols I had.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, Just got back from my home range. I put 60, 115 gr FMJ through the gun. Zero problems, no FTFire, FTEject, FTLoad or stove pipes. It locked open after every mag just like it was supposed to. The only 2 problems I had was using my thumb to load the mag, it takes some effort to do it by hand and I only found 1/2 of my brass. They went a long way due to the strong springs in the gun. I will have to use a rake to scrounge them up.:D Nice gun, shoots close to point of aim for an old guy. I was shooting MFS factory ammo, made in Hungary, that I got from Cabelas on sale for $9.97 per 50.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Far flung brass generally indicates a recoil spring that is a little weak letting the slide still have a LOT of velocity when the brass hits the ejector.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Update, Just got back from my home range. I put 60, 115 gr FMJ through the gun. Zero problems, no FTFire, FTEject, FTLoad or stove pipes. It locked open after every mag just like it was supposed to. The only 2 problems I had was using my thumb to load the mag, it takes some effort to do it by hand and I only found 1/2 of my brass. They went a long way due to the strong springs in the gun. I will have to use a rake to scrounge them up.:D Nice gun, shoots close to point of aim for an old guy. I was shooting MFS factory ammo, made in Hungary, that I got from Cabelas on sale for $9.97 per 50.

Its too hard to rack the slid... Its too hard to load the mag... Sound like a woman!!

Lol just kidding. I don't like loading more than a mag or two with out a loader.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find that factory ammo brass spreads over a large area.
With my reloads the brass is usually within a 3 foot circle. Both of my 9 mm and my 45 ACP.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Never had problems with my CM9, but my CW380 took a circus strongman, Seal Team Two and three pro linemen to rack that sucker!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Have two CWs..... 380 and 40. Both pretty strong recoil springs. As long as they don't get gunked up with sand and crappy lube, they run ok. They do seem to have some quirks now and then that never have gotten better with time, but nothing to make them not be dependable and run just fine.

Definitely takes some strength in the hands to operate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts