5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2744.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG
I finally talked the old man into giving me his "beloved" KA-BAR that's been sitting in the bottom of a foot locker for 40 odd years. I know it was his issue piece in Nam' and it's a Conetta but beyond that I've got nuthin. He's always been under the impression it holds some value. Other than the stamp on the blade there's nothing else. The original sheath is in decent condition for its age. Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: AR180B and Snaphook

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
I am not a KA-Bar guy...don't know any offhand, either.

I'd go to Bladeforums and ask.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Thinking conneta was the manufacturer not kabar.

Here's a link I found with a bit of info on them.

MK2 production dates - - Powered by FusionBB

The Conetta made knives are easy to describe and remember as that firm only made one type. The only stamping Conetta used was U.S. / Conetta as described in the specifications. All the knives are Ox-Blood and have an Ox-Blood scabbard mated with them. Conetta did not make the scabbards so the knife was mated with an A.E. Burgess Leather scabbard.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Hard to find a value on them. Probably ranges from about the price of a new Ka-Bar made knife to around the 150 depending on condition.

Seems like it'd best serve you doing what it does best. Being a damn nice fighting knife.

·
Registered
18,773 Posts
Everyone needs a KaBar for when the zombies attack, it's specifically designed to finish them off with head punctures. I have a D2 model just for the occasion.

The fact that was your dads knife makes it uber-cool.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
Everyone needs a KaBar for when the zombies attack, it's specifically designed to finish them off with head punctures. I have a D2 model just for the occasion.

The fact that was your dads knife makes it uber-cool.
Will a Fairbairn-Sykes do instead of a KA-Bar?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have my fathers Ka-Bar that he carried during the Korean War. He and the knife went there twice and came home together(served 7 months 50-51 and then 8 months before cease fire signed in 53, SGT. 1st Marines 7th reg.). It's priceless to me and will go to my son 1 day.
The only markings on it are USMC on 1 side and Camillus ,N.Y. on the other. The sheath has degraded where it can't be used for carry, but i store it in it's old home.

Enjoy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts