Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wrote a letter to the mayor of my town because they have signs posted saying no guns in parks. That is a violation of state law and other cities that have done this in the past have been forced to take signs down. I will update when i get a response. If he feeds me a line of crap i will forward the conversation to a local news agency that likes this type of drama.

Mr. Mayor

My name is BLANK and I live in the City of BLANK. I also was issues a Concealed Pistol License by the BLANK Police Dept. Last week when I was taking my three year old son to play at BLANK Park I noticed the sign that says Firearms Prohibited.

To my understanding Washington has preempted the field of firearms laws, so no municipality can make their own laws about carrying or other firearms related matters. This was demonstrated a couple years ago when the City of Seattle posted Firearms Prohibited signs at city parks. When this was challenged in court they were forced to take the signs down because it violated Washington state laws.

Can you please look into this I feel it is a very important issue.

Thank You for your time

·
Registered
786 Posts
The least you could do is put the name of where you live in your post. IMO grow a set if your going to cry about how bad your town is!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The least you could do is put the name of where you live in your post. IMO grow a set if your going to cry about how bad your town is!

Dang dude i think thats kinda rude the reason i didnt put the name of my city is cas i dont want people knowing where i live. Here i am actually doin something to fight firearm restrictions and your tellin me to grow a pair and say im cryin to the mayor.

Your welcome for fighting for yours and my rights when was the last time you did somthing for gun owners. I dont wanna call names here but i really hate free loaders that own guns and arnt NRA members and let other people donate money and efforts for the cause, and no im not assuming that your one of those people. Besides you live about 2000 miles away why do you care what city it is?

Grow up this isnt middle school.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hope you used spell check in your real letter. And chances are your mayor will never see your letter.:confused:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Dang dude i think thats kinda rude the reason i didnt put the name of my city is cas i dont want people knowing where i live. Here i am actually doin something to fight firearm restrictions and your tellin me to grow a pair and say im cryin to the mayor.

Your welcome for fighting for yours and my rights when was the last time you did somthing for gun owners. I dont wanna call names here but i really hate free loaders that own guns and arnt NRA members and let other people donate money and efforts for the cause, and no im not assuming that your one of those people. Besides you live about 2000 miles away why do you care what city it is?

Grow up this isnt middle school.

I'm an NRA member, but to be honest, I'm not really impressed. I'd rather educate people by setting an example. Every time I turn around the NRA is asking for money. I understand that it costs a ***** load of $$ to run such a campaign against anti-gunners, but c'mon.... I'd rather spend my $ on a new pistol and carry it to educate others of their rights. I think you are right on doing what you are doing, with this and (as I read in your other thread) the OCing. More guns owners need to do that, and SET THE EXAMPLE for people who may have questions or doubts about firearms/firearms laws.

My aunt (mother's sister), for example, used to have a great fear and dislike for firearms. Never wanted anything to do with them. After being around my father for 25+ years she has become accustomed to them, and now is talking about purchasing a pistol for HD. Took a hell of a long time, but was it worth all the hassle to educate her? I think so.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Here's the relevant bit of Washington law:
RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
RCW 9.41.300 is too long to post, but here's the link: RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places.

The "no carrying in parks" provision of Seattle law ran afoul of this law, and it also would apply to whatever town you are in Washington.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well if i dont hear back i will send it to the news and they will give it the intention it deserves
Hate to be so cynical.......BUT they probably wont give it any attention. Unfortunately media doesn't seem to care about gun issues unless your shooting someone or selling a bunch to mexico. :mad: I don't like it either but its just the way it is.:evil:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm an NRA member, but to be honest, I'm not really impressed. I'd rather educate people by setting an example. Every time I turn around the NRA is asking for money. I understand that it costs a ***** load of $$ to run such a campaign against anti-gunners, but c'mon.... I'd rather spend my $ on a new pistol and carry it to educate others of their rights. I think you are right on doing what you are doing, with this and (as I read in your other thread) the OCing. More guns owners need to do that, and SET THE EXAMPLE for people who may have questions or doubts about firearms/firearms laws.

My aunt (mother's sister), for example, used to have a great fear and dislike for firearms. Never wanted anything to do with them. After being around my father for 25+ years she has become accustomed to them, and now is talking about purchasing a pistol for HD. Took a hell of a long time, but was it worth all the hassle to educate her? I think so.
Yea we need to support the cause as much as we can. The NRA needs alot of money cas they do alot for us. In my state the Govt passed a bill to go into our medical records to find out if everyone that lives in my house is compatant enought to own a gun and if my little brother is retarted than i cant live within x miles of school.

They also wanted to make everyone get state certified and if i have a buddy come to my house and he isnt state certified i can go to jail. FELONY. This was call Probasition 876 and it was passing 70 to 30 until the NRA stepped in and shut it down along with Microsoft who helped donate money for lawyer fees. No other pro gun organizers help.

This is just one example of the NRA helping. Yes they want alot of money cas going up against 50 seperate states costs alot of money.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well if i dont hear back i will send it to the news and they will give it the intention it deserves
Also, contact the Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation Online). They're based in Bellevue and they were a party to the suit against the City of Seattle. If someone else is pulling the same stunt, I'm sure they'd like to know.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hate to be so cynical.......BUT they probably wont give it any attention. Unfortunately media doesn't seem to care about gun issues unless your shooting someone or selling a bunch to mexico. :mad: I don't like it either but its just the way it is.:evil:
Yea i agree i bet 99 percent are anti gun but i do know one that is at least neutral because i have seen them educating people about OC meets and stuff.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the relevant bit of Washington law:

RCW 9.41.300 is too long to post, but here's the link: RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places.

The "no carrying in parks" provision of Seattle law ran afoul of this law, and it also would apply to whatever town you are in Washington.

Thanks man i saved that to my favorites so i will send that if he tells me otherwise. Tough to argue with this :cool:

·
Registered
486 Posts
You're a creepy moth*r F*cker. Why do YOU need his city and name. He obviously left it out because he was posting it on an internet forum.

Simpleton....

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're a creepy moth*r F*cker. Why do YOU need his city and name. He obviously left it out because he was posting it on an internet forum.

Simpleton....

Yea i thought people would understand when i said BLANK i guess not. Thanks for having the courtesy to respect my privacy.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks man i saved that to my favorites so i will send that if he tells me otherwise. Tough to argue with this :cool:
No, problem. Yeah, it's pretty cut-and-dried. Hopefully your mayor is smart enough to want to avoid wasting time and money defending a lawsuit he's sure to lose.

Preemption is just another of those things I really like about Washington's gun laws. If you've got a problem with the law, you only have to fight it once in Olympia, and not hundreds of times over in every town in the state.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, problem. Yeah, it's pretty cut-and-dried. Hopefully your mayor is smart enough to want to avoid wasting time and money defending a lawsuit he's sure to lose.

Preemption is just another of those things I really like about Washington's gun laws. If you've got a problem with the law, you only have to fight it once in Olympia, and not hundreds of times over in every town in the state.

I should paint my body red white and blue and run down there with some power tools and and take the sign down while singing the constitution. HAHA

·
Registered
403 Posts
I should paint my body red white and blue and run down there with some power tools and and take the sign down while singing the constitution. HAHA
:) Well, better not give them any chances to get you for messing with city property. Hopefully, they'll just get a clue and take them down themselves.

Although, I guess they do seem out of touch. The biggest city in the state tried to do the same thing and got slapped down for it, and they didn't notice?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Just an FYI, I actually work seasonally for a city park in washington state. Those signs no longer hold the weight of law. We have those signs in my park, but we do not enforce them because we can't. We have ordered new signs but due to political BS we had to order them from the county sign shop and we have now been waiting over 6 months for them to be made.
Many other parks may be the same way where they simply have not gotten around to changing out the signs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I want to know where these types of things are happening. As for supporting NRA I have a strong feeling I've been a life member longer then your have been alive, as I'm working my way to Patron where are you at? And that's another reason to know there this is happening so it can be dealt with. All hat no cattle

·
Registered
786 Posts

Simpleton....
did not ask for his name just the town. can't you talk with out the language or would you be unable to speak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts