Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in hopes of trying to score some reloading supplies (powder, bullets, etc...)
:D

When I go to the websites of these manufacturing companies and they have the links for "contact us if you are a dealer" I am SO tempted to say "oh yeah, I'm John Smith from John Smith Reloading Supplies, will you please let me buy some powder from you?"

I wonder how difficult of a process that would be...

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
Umm..you get a license and a number, can't just say "I'm a dealer joe schmoe", gotta have actual federal licenses man...

Even the C&R licenses (which is fairly easy to get) gets a number man

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Depends on where you live, but the amount of paper work & gov intervention can be more trouble than its worth. As a Dealer you can get special pricing, but availability may not be any better. Most small dealers have to buy from a middle man or jobber. Look into it, you'll need at a min a fed ffl & local business lic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I know it's a huge pain. I've seen local guys get berated by the feds then they have no choice but to shut down.

I was just being half-serious.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Depends on where you live, but the amount of paper work & gov intervention can be more trouble than its worth. As a Dealer you can get special pricing, but availability may not be any better. Most small dealers have to buy from a middle man or jobber. Look into it, you'll need at a min a fed ffl & local business lic.
to add to it, some even have annual minimum order quantities that have to be met to qualify for the better pricing. They want to make sure they're dealing B2B.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
a local guy here did that - hoping to get better ammo availability and maybe make a few bucks on the side.
Wanna buy a gun at cost? He has a garage full.
Seems the distributers force him to buy guns if he wants to buy ammo. And now that gun prices are falling a bit he's LOSING money...

One guy here is doing well selling reman ammo...not sure his homeowners insurance or neighbors would appreciate the fact he's making ammo commercially in his basement and the houses on his street are 3-5 feet apart.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
a local guy here did that - hoping to get better ammo availability and maybe make a few bucks on the side.
Wanna buy a gun at cost? He has a garage full.
Seems the distributers force him to buy guns if he wants to buy ammo. And now that gun prices are falling a bit he's LOSING money...

One guy here is doing well selling reman ammo...not sure his homeowners insurance or neighbors would appreciate the fact he's making ammo commercially in his basement and the houses on his street are 3-5 feet apart.
Why I said location matters. In many locals, you aren't getting a business lic. Without that, you don't get the FFL. Been there done that. I had both a FFL to buy & sell guns & manuf ammo. In Kalif, just got too govt intensive between the Feds & state DOJ. Not worth saving a few $$ a year for me,. so I let it go.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
to add to it, some even have annual minimum order quantities that have to be met to qualify for the better pricing. They want to make sure they're dealing B2B.
My various distributors require that I purchase from $10,000 to $20,000 annually in their products. It's not for the hobbyist!

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Seems the distributers force him to buy guns if he wants to buy ammo.
I have been an FFL dealer for 27 years and never heard of that. There is very little markup on ammo anyway.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
in hopes of trying to score some reloading supplies (powder, bullets, etc...)
:D

When I go to the websites of these manufacturing companies and they have the links for "contact us if you are a dealer" I am SO tempted to say "oh yeah, I'm John Smith from John Smith Reloading Supplies, will you please let me buy some powder from you?"

I wonder how difficult of a process that would be...
I'm a class06 dealer. However it's pretty easy to get dealer accounts with some vendors e.g., Brownells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts