Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say whats up to all of the XD owners. I just purchased my first firearm today!!!! I am going to the range in the morning to break it in. Any recommendations on ammo? I will be CCW, and on the range often, so any type of feedback would be great!!
Thanks
TaktikalB

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Buy several boxs of different types of ammo, and in different weights. This will break in your pistols and you will be able to find out whats the most accuarte as well as functional ammo with your pistol. After that I go for whats cheapest to practice.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
taktikalb said:
Hi everyone,
I just purchased my first firearm today!!!!
Take a safety course and buddy up with someone who has been shooting for a while.

Have fun with your XD!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Son of Norway said:
taktikalb said:
Hi everyone,
Take a safety course and buddy up with someone who has been shooting for a while.

Have fun with your XD!
+1

And please don't carry until you have had a decent CCW/defensive pistol course.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome aboard, and congrats of your new purchase.

I have always found Winchester White Box (WWB) to be clean, reliable, and inexpensive range ammo.

Be safe, and enjoy your new XD.

Where's your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Welcome... :p

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy your new XD. Let us know how it performs! (OK, we all know it will be flawless, but we're obligated to say that to the new guys!) :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats up everyone!! just got back from the range and put about 400 rounds through it!!! i bought some winchester white box target rounds and i actually had 3 jams with them......argh!!!!!!! Is this very common? I will try a different type next venture out...any suggestions with the 40 cal sub? Other than that i had a great experiance with my new firearm!!! The jams were cured with a sling pull...but im not sure what caused this. I was actually surprised when this happened. Oh and I live in Pittsburgh PA! Thanks for all the good welcoming

·
Registered
539 Posts
congrats on the new gun! I agree with the other poster that wwb is a good choice for target ammo. My own xd40 has never had a problem feeding or ejecting it in the 3000 or so rounds of it that i've shot. If you are having issues with it... many have found limpwristing to be the cause. I suggest you look into that since so probably the majority of the people on this board use wwb as target ammo. However, many people say that some guns just don't agree with certain ammo. Perhaps you'll have better luck with others. I, myself, have had no issues with any of the different types i've tried. Blazer target ammo can be had for pretty cheap as well as UMC.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
good luck, you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've fired around 200 rounds of WWB through my new XD9 Service so far with no problems. Sorry to hear of your experience.

·
Registered
259 Posts
taktikalb said:
whats up everyone!! just got back from the range and put about 400 rounds through it!!! i bought some winchester white box target rounds and i actually had 3 jams with them......argh!!!!!!! Is this very common? I will try a different type next venture out...any suggestions with the 40 cal sub? Other than that i had a great experiance with my new firearm!!! The jams were cured with a sling pull...but im not sure what caused this. I was actually surprised when this happened. Oh and I live in Pittsburgh PA! Thanks for all the good welcoming
What type of malfunctions did you have? If they were failures to feed and you have a XD 40 SC I would suggest you polish the feed ramp or if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself have a gunsmith polish it for you, it is relatively inexpensive to have done. You can also try other brands of Ammo and see if it malfunctions with them.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
"Sling pull", I suppose you mean racking the slide back? If so it sounds like FTE (Failure to Eject) which was most likely caused by perhaps limp wristing. Your sig says XD 40 Subcompact, knowing the 40 has a nice little whallop in that short of a gun and this being your first, my guess is limp wristing.

Have fun & be safe!

·
Registered
725 Posts
manygunner said:
Son of Norway said:
taktikalb said:
Hi everyone,

Have fun with your XD!
+1

And please don't carry until you have had a decent CCW/defensive pistol course.
although i agree a course is suggested, our state does not require anything. telling a legal ccw'er NOT to carry is a BIG mistake.. hes following the rules of the state and should protect himself. you dont hear about all these crazy ccw's killing everyone in PA do u?

do i recommend a course.. YES..
do you need it? NO
does the law require it in PA? NO

·
Registered
725 Posts
taktikalb said:
Hi everyone
Thanks
TaktikalB

welcome im in the next county
heres some info for u to chew on about our great region in PA

In three of the past five years Westmoreland County ranked 2nd in the state of Pennsylvania for the number of issued carry permits, with its neighboring county (Pittsburgh = Allegheny) taking 1st. What makes the previous sentence more significant is when you look at population by county.

Philadelphia - 1,470,000

Pittsburgh - 1,251,000

Westmoreland - 368,700

In the last five years in Westmoreland County, a mind-boggling 26,542 - 5 year permits were issued.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BeardXXXd said:
although i agree a course is suggested, our state does not require anything. telling a legal ccw'er NOT to carry is a BIG mistake...
+1 No need to treat someone like they're incompetent just because they're a newb.

Goodness how I wish there were untrained people in my state carrying guns...just to have SOMEONE with guns besides the cops. This sex offender stuff that's in the news so often now just gives me the freakin creeps. And I can't even carry a gun to protect my wife and kid from them!!!

Congrats on your CCW. Use it to keep you and yours safe.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have an XD40SC. The first thing I did when I purchased it was polish the feed ramp....before I even fired the first shot.

I have not had one FT Anything.

I recommend you do this.

If you have a dremel tool and a buffing wheel and some of their polishing compound that will work well.

If not and you need to use sandpaper as I have in the past just read up well on how to do it.

It is VERY easy and it does make a bit of difference.

I also agree that this gun has some recoil and you should watch out for the limp wristing. The gun needs to be shot a few times as well.

I'm sure that if you make sure not to limp wrist and run a few rounds through your gun...and polish the feed ramp it will be good to go.

Enjoy your new schweet schweet SC! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I just brought home my own XD-40 Service today and my right index finger is already itching very badly.

Is there any chance that FTFs are part of "break-in" with this pistol? My Kimber was supposed to be a little tight at the start, and it has loosened up pleasantly after about 800 rounds. Is the XD similar?

Remember, don't be afraid to take Springfield at their word. Lifetime warrantly means you're the boss now.

Also, have a buddy shoot it and see what happens.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the replies!!! I took it to the range again and fired 200 rounds more through it and it didnt make a blink!!!! I believe it was a combination of limp wristing and a break in periode!! In total I have put 600 rounds through my subbie and now it feels like it is smoothing out! I also purchased a new holster today a Galco Fletch....its really nice and it sits on my waist very nicley, im a big dude so it was a big choice on weather to go IWB or on the side and i decided with on the side and i am happy with the choice. But I believe all of the "bugs" are worked out of my new lil green monster!!! Thanks again all, and does anyone live in the Pittsburgh Pa area and want to go to the range sometime? If so let me know im always up for a good day at the range!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts