Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, great thread in ten minutes of reading I learned more here than from the dealer,, ,who by the way wasn't very forthcoming.

I just my my first purchase to join the 5.56 fanclub and have a few questions if everyone doesnt mind...

1. The dealer sold me on ammuntion that he said was armor piercing ,, after some time of looking for it and talking gibberish to his partner, I overheard he say "just give him that one, he really doesn't know" BTW.. I purchased the weapon and the ammo from a local gun show. THe ammo that was sold to me has markings on the box that says...

FOR TRAINING USE ONLY
5.56mm XM855PD Cartridge
Green Tip

I paid around $100 for this 1000 count. Is this ammo correct for my new toy and is it truly armor piercing,, not to say that the mutant band of gypsy ninjas will be driving a tank but you know...

2. The weapon I purchased was a DPMS Cal. 223-5.56mm Mod. A-15, for around $850 with the pistol grip and flashlight rail installed.. any thoughts on this weapon ?

Thanks again everyone for the information I have already got.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Does it look like this?

Not Armor Piercing....it is a steel core ammo.

Great Info about ammo for your new AR-15
http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm
Info from a thread on this forum a while back.
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=24056

Is your reciever stamped 5.56mm or .223?
There are barrels on the market
that are .223 caliber specific and are installed in the uppers.
These barrels will not accomodate the 5.56mm round as
the latter is just a smedon mite bit bigger than the .223 cal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it looks very close to that, I figure the differences got lost in the picture, should I take this back to him and demand a refund ? or is it a good ammo for this weapon ?

The reciever is stamped DPMS 5.56 1-9

Was this a good purchase ?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ok so you have purchased a DPMS 5.56mm AR-15 with a 1:9 Twist Ratio Barrel. In that barrel the ammo with function great. Will be very accurate at long ranges.

The faster twist rate on your barrel will allow you to shoot heavier ammo 62 grain and up with more accuracy.

Those guys were idiots you cannot get Black Tip 5.56mm XM855PD ammo which is Armor Piercing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad your here, and a BIG THANKS for all the info,

Basically, was this weapon a good purchase ? along with the ammo ?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
gunshop joe
"just give him that one, he really doesn't know"
in this case it backfired on them :p

you did good :D Enjoy!

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot of everyone ,, and yes thanks to you all it did backfire :)

What does the green tipped signify anyway ? and is there an absolute best ammo for 5.56mm regardless of price for self defense.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Sycotik said:
Thanks alot of everyone ,, and yes thanks to you all it did backfire :)

What does the green tipped signify anyway ? and is there an absolute best ammo for 5.56mm regardless of price for self defense.
Frangible might be a good one for not penetrating walls, but is there really a "self defense" .223? I don't think so, any .223 will hurt ya Bad :x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Hobo, I was reading through articles recently written by a doctor serving amid the war and noticed a report written concerning fragment damage or the lack thereof in soldiers shot by 5.56mm or 223's , one such report read that the soldier after taking a shot to the leg, walked into his office and was returned to active duty not more than three days later. IN finaling his report the doctor had noticed that the majority of injuries during combat from the 5.56mm or 223 was not life threatening as long as the bullet had not hit a major organ.

The article kind of made me want to ask that question... thanks again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I get a kick out of one of the guys that I work with. Although he's a 'Nam Vet and undoubtedly had some firearms training, he still likes to pass along the myth that, due to the tendency for the 5.56 round to tumble at the slightest provocation, if you hit someone, even on an extremity, the bullet is going to tumble into the main part of the body and damage major organs.

Those of us who know better have tried, in vain, to dissuade him of this "knowledge" that he claims to have gotten "in the field" have finally given up.

I keep my "home defense" AR loaded with S&B hollow points. The gun works quite well with them and I got them cheap.

Of course that would be the last line of defense, coming after the shotgun, but that's for another thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If i remember correctly the 223 round penatrates farther into the target (about 4 inches)(IE,bad guy) before it starts to tumble therfore causeing less damage to smaller body parts whereas the AR round starts to tumble at about 2 inches whereas causeing more damage. I am probably not 100% correct .Watched a ballistics test on the History or Discovery channel the other night and they were showing all the differant types of damage from most of the milatary rounds using ballistic jell dummies and soft clay targets.and 5 gallon full water bottles lined up in a row.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
From a previous post.

As far as 5.56 ammo, you've got two basic kinds. (All info I'm about to regurgitate is found on www.ammo-oracle.com):

M193 - Formerly standard issue for the military. Best selection for self-defense purposes, can be fired from a slow or fast-twist barrel. Available for sale to civilians as XM193; this is second-rate stuff from the only USA plant that manufactures it, Lake City, packaged in brown boxes. Also available at a slightly lesser cost is XM193PD, 3rd rate stuff which has a higher rate of defects. Inspect your rounds before firing them. BTW the 1st rate stuff goes straight to the military.

M855 - Uses the SS-109 steel penetrator bullet, usually green-tipped but not always. Current standard issue for the military. Requires a fast twist barrel e.g. 1:9, preferably 1:7, to stabilize. Better than M193 for distances exceeding 100M, but within 100M has slightly less penetration and fragmentation capability. Available in XM855 and XM855PD; same deal as the XM193 stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts