Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my Obama present to myself. Yeah, I know, pistols with 7 round magazines aren't likely to be banned but I wanted a pistol that would be easy to carry concealed with adequate power. I was initially looking into getting a Springfield EMP but getting one in all black and configured the way I would like ran a bit north of 1600 bucks for the EMP.

It's the 40 caliber version so it matches what I shoot in my XDm. I also chose the SA/DA trigger because during my search for a good carry pistol I tried the DAK and didn't like it much at all. At some point I'll probably send it in to Sig to have the short reset trigger installed but the reset currently is only a little bit longer that my XDm so I can live with it as is. One plus is that it came with night sights installed so it's good to go as far as sights are concerned. One big plus is that in Single Action the trigger is flat out GREAT! No creep whatsoever and it breaks like a glass rod right at 3.5 lbs..

In double action the trigger is a lot like an old Smith & Wesson revolver, a bit stagey, heavy, and a very long pull. Which means that I'll have to remember to shoot it like a revolver for that first shot. Which means pre-staging the trigger and pulling through after steadying the final aim. One small plus for the DA capability is that re-strikes are just an additional pull of the trigger.

I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot it, just been using snap caps to get used to the trigger. I also used a bit of diamond lapping compound and polished the feed ramp on the barrel, which took all of about 3 minutes. So, it's ready for the range, which is where I'll be headed tomorrow. I expect that it will be quite accurate since the DAK version I rented was very good once I figured out the trigger.

Now for the real negative, those Sig magazines cost a ton. 49 bucks each!! Plus, Sig packs the spare magazines in the heaviest, nastiest, grease that I have ever encountered. I had to take them into work and use our parts washer to get the crap off, and out of the interior of, each of the 3 spares that I purchased. No way did I want that crap carried into my new pistol. All I can figure is that Sig must be planning on shipping their magazines on the backs of migrating fish across the Atlantic because they are certainly "proofed" against salt water.

As for the initial Quality impression, it's excellent. The barrel locks into the slide so tight that there is not the slightest hint of free play, however it doesn't bind one bit. I suspect a bit of hand fitting has been done in order to get such a perfect match. Either that or they are holding production tolerances in the 0.0005 to 0.0010 inch range. The slide to frame fittup is also very good, I can only get about 0.005 inches of movement side to side at the barrel end. As for barrel end to slide play with the pistol in battery, I just can't see any free play. All of which bodes well for accuracy, in comparison my XDm seems quite sloppy and I have shot my XDm enough to have a real respect for it's accuracy.

Anyhow, those are my first impressions. Tomorrow I'll do a bit of shooting with it and report back on how well it's sighted in and how well I can shoot with it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It was my Obama present to myself. Yeah, I know, pistols with 7 round magazines aren't likely to be banned but I wanted a pistol that would be easy to carry concealed with adequate power.

That pistol might not get banned, but there is a good chance our right to carry does. Anyway, thats a nice a pick up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Love my 239's. My off-duty carry is a 239 SAS in 357sig. Gotta love it. I use my XD40SC as a work backup due to more ammo in the mag.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shot 50 rounds thru the P239 today. I wanted to shoot more but the range was totally slammed today and they were only permitting 1/2 hour range times today. It shoots right at the point of aim at 40 ft and fed anything I threw at it. Which in this case was WWB and Speer Gold Dot 165 gr. JHP. I flat out LOVE the the trigger in Single Action, makes it real easy to shoot accurately in slow fire. It's also a lot easier to run double taps with it than with my XDm and the longish reset really wasn't noticable. What was noticable was the higher barrel centerline to grip dimension. This resulted in a bit more muzzle flip than with my XDm and it was obvious when running double tap drills, accuracy for the followup was not as good as I would like. Practice and slowing down just a bit will solve that issue.

Overall, I really like this pistol. The only negatives are the low capacity and the reduced sight radius, which I was well aware of before making the purchase. Basically, it's a great defense pistol but isn't one that I would recomend for IDPA matches or the like. For that, the XDm is a much better choice. Which has me thinking about sending my XDm in for a trigger upgrade, shooting double taps with a 6 lbs. trigger is work.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
When i bought my 229 the pistol and magazine were wrapped in a clear plastic bag, and both were floating in oil......

i used almost a full can of gun scrubber just hosing down the gun and mag to get all that oil off....

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
When i bought my 229 the pistol and magazine were wrapped in a clear plastic bag, and both were floating in oil......

i used almost a full can of gun scrubber just hosing down the gun and mag to get all that oil off....
Same here. Well, maybe not floating but the mags especially were really gunked up. That's okay. There are worse things to be doing besides cleaning a nice gun.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats on the new Sig! That is the exact gun I'm looking at now, with the SigLite nightsights. Was pretty much convinced I'd go with 9mm to match my XD, but the shop selling the 'personal protection' package sold their only 9mm version. They have two .40s on hand with that package so I'll probably go with one of them. Will probably add a set of Hogue grips, too.

I know there is some great 9mm ammo out there now, but everything I've heard and read indicates .40 is just that much better - more stopping power, etc. Also more expensive every range visit, but what is your life worth, right? ;)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Congrats on the new Sig! That is the exact gun I'm looking at now, with the SigLite nightsights. Was pretty much convinced I'd go with 9mm to match my XD, but the shop selling the 'personal protection' package sold their only 9mm version. They have two .40s on hand with that package so I'll probably go with one of them. Will probably add a set of Hogue grips, too.

I know there is some great 9mm ammo out there now, but everything I've heard and read indicates .40 is just that much better - more stopping power, etc. Also more expensive every range visit, but what is your life worth, right? ;)
If you get the 229 .40 S&W you can get an EFK conversion barrel for $150 to convert it to 9mm. Even uses the same mags.

Additional: You can get a conversion barrel for the 239 as well but you would have to get some 9mm mags for it. EFKFiredragon Products

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
A P239 was whispering to me from behind the case at Gander Mountain. If the damn thing wasn't $750 I may have gotten one. They wanted $899 for a darn P220R.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
A P239 was whispering to me from behind the case at Gander Mountain. If the damn thing wasn't $750 I may have gotten one. They wanted $899 for a darn P220R.
Look around for a CPO. Completely refurbished and refinished. Look and shoot like brand new for several hundred less. Well, last week anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts