Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just ordered my RRA lower to begin my build. This will be my first AR build and I've only shot 2 AR's total. Not really sure what I'm wanting to build it out to be, other than a bad a$$ rifle. I'm looking for a book that evaluates the different types of uppers, barrels, and parts in general. For example, I was considering an RRA EOP or UTE2 upper until some other members recommended the A4 as it is more versatile. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Something to say the pros and cons on different parts. Any recommendations?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I know of no such book.

Spend a lot of time on the different AR forums reading everything. Don't ask questions, just read. There are plenty of people asking questions. Read the answers they get. Sift thru the crap, you'll be able to tell what is good info and what is not.

Figure out what kind of spending limit you have. Go from there. Select the best piece for the price. Stick with the iron sights, don't waste $ a cheap optic, just because it's "tacticool", if the price of an optic is out of range initially, wait and save for it. When you think you have it figured out, come here and bounce it off of us.

Don't rush, these AR's are not going to disappear overnight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What do you want to do with it? Are you looking for a versatile carbine for home defense, a range gun, a varmint rig, a long range tackdriver? What kind of ranges do you want to shoot and what type of optics are you interested in?

Lots of details will get you some better answers. At some point you will need to pick a direction, and you will save a fair amount of cash and frustration if you decide early in the build....

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know of no such book.

Spend a lot of time on the different AR forums reading everything. Don't ask questions, just read. There are plenty of people asking questions. Read the answers they get. Sift thru the crap, you'll be able to tell what is good info and what is not.

Figure out what kind of spending limit you have. Go from there. Select the best piece for the price. Stick with the iron sights, don't waste $ a cheap optic, just because it's "tacticool", if the price of an optic is out of range initially, wait and save for it. When you think you have it figured out, come here and bounce it off of us.

Don't rush, these AR's are not going to disappear overnight.
Not rushing, just trying to do some research. No spending limit really. Just want to buy pieces here and there.

What do you want to do with it? Are you looking for a versatile carbine for home defense, a range gun, a varmint rig, a long range tackdriver? What kind of ranges do you want to shoot and what type of optics are you interested in?

Lots of details will get you some better answers. At some point you will need to pick a direction, and you will save a fair amount of cash and frustration if you decide early in the build....
Looking for a good SHTF gun, possible long range and varmint. As expensive as ammo is though I don't know. I plan on this build taking me several years as I am looking at going back to school. Buy a piece here and there as the budget allows.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmmm...

The way I see it, you have two options-

Option 1- Get a complete kit for about $500. Build yourself a rifle and get out and do some shooting. This is what I would do so I could have something to shoot for the time being. Also, getting some practice and range time under your belt may help you to narrow down exactly what you want to do. This rifle could also be a basic, spare SHTF rifle after you get #2....

Option 2- Spend some time and money sticking to your original plan. In this case, re-read the advice from mvicain. Read and look at a bunch of pics and narrow down what you are looking for. I would not even recommend a trigger group at this point. Really depends on what you want.

The only other advice I can offer is try to decide if you think you will eventually own more than one black rifle. Most wind up going this route. If yes, don't waste your time building an 'all purpose" gun. Focus on what you want first, build it, then move onto build #2, etc...

Hope this helps you out.
Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
I say, take your time deciding but order everything you want together and as close to exact in 1 shot.

if you can get the upgrades you want in the original order, which hopefully is in a kit. that way you can save money in the long run.

the big key is to not make 5 orders and pay a ton in shipping and other fees when you can bundle together and get a better bottom line $ wise.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Scottk, I decided to take your advice and build a basic one to have and to play with then build a specific rifle. Just ordered my second lower. Bad thing, I'm looking at 6 weeks thanks to Obama!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts