Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how I will know if this pistol will require the recall modification? For those of you who have had the recall modification done, how long did Springfield have the pistol? Is Springfield doing anything to "placate" we users? Like a free magazine, box of ammo, etc?

I bought this pistol as an EDC, but I already have a couple of alternate EDCs, most recently a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I believe the Springfield will be a good addition to my EDC stable.

Another question- I have seen 7 round and 9 round magazines. The 9 rounder makes the pistol pretty tall and perhaps not as suitable for concealed carry. I wonder if an 8 rounder is also available. Anyone using a Piece mag floor plate extender on the 7 round magazines?

Looking forward to receiving the pistol in about a week....I just hope I don't have to immediately send it off to Springfield for the recall!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you are buying it new, you won't have to send it in for recall..

·
Registered
350 Posts
New pistols should not need to be recalled. If you're concerned, look at this pic. Your pistol should have the roll pin in the grip safety:

There is another thread here about 8 round mag for the 9mm and 6 round mags for 45.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New pistols should not need to be recalled. If you're concerned, look at this pic. Your pistol should have the roll pin in the grip safety:

There is another thread here about 8 round mag for the 9mm and 6 round mags for 45.
Thanks. I will do a search for the magazine thread. I'd like to get at least one additional magazine for the XDS, but I am not sure if it will be a 7 or 9 rounder. Have to try them in the pistol to decide.
I also have a S&W M&P 9mm Shield which comes with a 7 and an 8 round magazine. I have only had that pistol for a few weeks, and I'm also trying to decided which magazine to get as a spare(s).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice weapons ...enjoy yours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice weapons ...enjoy yours.
You look like another collector! How do you like the S&W Bodyguard.....when I finally settled on the XDS 9mm, I actually started out looking at the BG as a pocket gun.....but then I started debating with myself on the 380 vs 9mm thing.........<g>

·
Registered
804 Posts
Another question- I have seen 7 round and 9 round magazines. The 9 rounder makes the pistol pretty tall and perhaps not as suitable for concealed carry. I wonder if an 8 rounder is also available. Anyone using a Piece mag floor plate extender on the 7 round magazines?
If your new gun is coming from Springfield rather than a distributor, then it may well come with one 7 and one 8 round magazine. If the gun has been sitting around for awhile, it may just have two 7 rounders. The new "mid" sized mags have just started being produced and are probably not yet available for sale separately. Hopefully soon.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your new gun is coming from Springfield rather than a distributor, then it may well come with one 7 and one 8 round magazine. If the gun has been sitting around for awhile, it may just have two 7 rounders. The new "mid" sized mags have just started being produced and are probably not yet available for sale separately. Hopefully soon.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Thanks. So it will be a SURPRISE - it's coming from CTD.....who I said I'd never use again, but that's another long and somewhat boring story. <g>

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love mine. The more I shoot it the more I like it. So much more comfortable to carry than XD sub 40.
Yeah, I carried a nice big H&K USP 40 S&W on duty, and absolutely loved that gun. But carry a 40 concealed is not my choice. It's a terrific service round, but I think it's a bit much in a compact pistol. So I'll stick with the 9mm for my usual carry.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You look like another collector! How do you like the S&W Bodyguard.....when I finally settled on the XDS 9mm, I actually started out looking at the BG as a pocket gun.....but then I started debating with myself on the 380 vs 9mm thing.........<g>
....The 380 is my wife's gun that she does not like (KINDA JUMPY)the 9mm 3.8 compact that she now carries is a much smoother shooter.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Check for rust if it's from CTD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check for rust if it's from CTD.
Oh yes, I will be checking for more than rust, trust me! I once ordered a rifle from their on line store, and when it arrived, it was a different rifle! My fault, I did no more than just glance at it as I completed the FFL forms. Wasn't until a day later I had the chance to look it over - I was PISSED, but of course I could not return it then. As it turned out I did okay, sold that rifle for what I paid, plus got around $50 of ammo. But still, it has taught me to very carefully check over ANY firearm prior to starting the FFL forms!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts