Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So winter is approaching and I had a very long and detailed zombie dream last night (I'm not kidding and they are my favorite). In the dream I was scrambling to get to a Target to buy my much delayed purchase of a backup heater. I woke up, emailed my wife this link and told her to buy one:

She's going to get a few 1lb propane cylinders down the street at Ace Hardware.

I thought about the Big Buddy but I wanted something more portable and since my wife's apartment in Chicago is only 500 square feet with the bedroom just a fraction of that I thought this would do the job while not taking up too much valuable storage space.

Anyone have any expirience with these?

When we get a house next year I'll put in a good sized generator right away but for now I wanted something to cover a 3 day outage scenario for her apartment.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No experience but I've been very interested in one myself. I'd like to have one in the colder months for camping since my current cold weather camping strategy is don't go.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've got the the Mr Heater Big Buddy ..

Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters

And the Mr Heater convection heater ..

Mr. Heater Propane Convection Heater — 200,000 BTU, Model# MH200CV | Propane Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment

I have not been able to get the Big Buddy to use large propane tanks. I think it's a problem with the regulator I'm using. So, I got one from Mr. Heater. Have not tested it yet.

The convection heater works great, but it's a bit of a gas hog, and noisy. I've had it for three years and used it to heat my detached garage to keep my dogs and cats warm when the temps get down close to, or below zero. I run it on very low setting, and it keeps my drafty old garage very comfortable.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that 200,000 BTU model looks great for working in a detached garage! Many of the houses in the neighborhood we are looking to buy in have detached garages, that would be perfect for when I want to wash the car in the winter or do work out in there if we end up with one.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Wow that 200,000 BTU model looks great for working in a detached garage! Many of the houses in the neighborhood we are looking to buy in have detached garages, that would be perfect for when I want to wash the car in the winter or do work out in there if we end up with one.
Yeah, it's a great heater for unheated buildings and shelters. Have to make sure that it sits on concrete or the ground. Mine gets the concrete floor of the garage pretty hot. So, I set it on a couple bricks.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Propane + indoor use = DANGEROUS!! I don't care what they say!

Propane uses MUCH more oxygen than any other heater fuels and w/o an external vent to get rid of the burned gases (that little Mr. Heater thing doesn't have an exhaust flue from the picture) then you run the risk of killing yourself and anyone with you...know what you are doing..just saying

Carbon monoxide propane heater deaths

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide and Incomplete Combustion in Propane Appliances
LP Gas Space Heaters and Room Heaters

This unit seems to have the Oxygen Depletion Shutoff..but remember...if it stops working...you might stop working
But I live in Texas and our winters consist of 2 weeks of cold snap then back to sweltering heats

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
When we get a house next year I'll put in a good sized generator right away but for now I wanted something to cover a 3 day outage scenario for her apartment.

Just remember that generators glug down the fuel fast. I've seen home setups that had gen sets large enough for the whole place and fuel enough to barely run one night.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just remember that generators glug down the fuel fast. I've seen home setups that had gen sets large enough for the whole place and fuel enough to barely run one night.
That's the trade off for sure, that is why I only plan to have a small-ish gasoline generator for emergency back up to run the fridge, a few lights, and a window AC unit or small electric heater. I have a solar set up for charging all electronics and batteries.

For the main generator I plan to have one that runs on natural gas that almost never has service interrupted.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
LOL
I just revisited his thread, and it occurred to me that I have the big buddy (different brand) version sitting on the patio.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Has anyone used the propane generators as a temporary backup. I usually get at least 1 week with out power every winter and have had 2+.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts