Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love a good bolt action rifle, there is nothing like them. I picked up a new addition to my collection today, a model 70 in .30-06. I knew going to meet the seller that this rifle had been well used, and I have no problem since I plan on using it pretty hard myself.

I inspect the rifle and the finish and stock are very worn, but not abused. Looked down the barrel and the bore is bright and clear, looks like this was someones go-to gun for a long time. I pay the man, 260 bucks,and head home feeling like all is well with the world.

After getting home, I begin to clean the rifle like I do with every one I get. A very detailed cleaning is always in order when a new gun comes home. I have seen some that were pretty bad, but this one was the nastiest I have ever laid my hands on. At one time it had been slathered in grease, and that grease left to dry almost becoming a varnish. The seller was telling me how well it shot, and what weight bullets it liked. After stripping it down I wondered how a man could let a gun get this filthy and still shoot it. I started cleaning it at @ 8:30 and have just finished up.

I know I got a hell of a deal, and the rifle feels great, just needed to vent a little.

BTW, it's not a pre '64.

·
Registered
62 Posts
some people just dont understand the importance of a well maintained rifle. lol I have a friend that is horrible with the way he treats his guns. I honestly think if it was not for me cleaning them for him it wouldnt get done. There magically supposed to stay clean. Congrats on the deal though!!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Don't be angry. Feel happy you rescued the old dog from an abusive owner! I love bringing a gun back!

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Don't be angry. Feel happy you rescued the old dog from an abusive owner! I love bringing a gun back!
^^^ this ^^^

At my old favorite GS, I picked up an older Ruger 10/22 (with a circa 70's Redfield wide field-style scope) at a very good price. When I got it home, I disassembled the receiver completely and had to clean out probably 40+ years worth of caked & hardened powder residue, grease and oil. The bore was clean and bright, but I suspect that the bore was the ONLY thing that ever received any TLC from the former owner. I didn't get upset or angry... in fact I kind of enjoyed doing it, knowing I'd get a problem-free shooter at a great price that others probably passed up because it felt stiff. Some linseed oil rubbed in, followed by Old English furniture oil and even the stock looks incredible.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you find any rust or excessive wear?
There is quite a bit of wear on the cocking lug. That was causing the safety to not function, but a little bit of time with a stone fixed that (for the time being). It has a bright, shiny bore, the bolt is smooth and the trigger is crisp.

The outside of the gun was a mess. The finish is gone, literally gone but the is no rust or pitting at all. The biggest complaint was the amount of dried, hardened, crusted over grease in every nook and cranny of the rifle. The only thing I can compare it to is a Mauser I got from Mitchells when they first started importing the Yugo M48's. The way it came packed in cosmoline is similar to the condition this Winchester was in, only the Mauser was easier to clean.

Hoping to burn a few rounds through it this weekend to see how it groups. If it does well, I'll replace the cocking piece on the bolt and wait for Oct. to roll around and take it to the hardwoods.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I love a good bolt action rifle, there is nothing like them. I picked up a new addition to my collection today, a model 70 in .30-06. I knew going to meet the seller that this rifle had been well used, and I have no problem since I plan on using it pretty hard myself.

I inspect the rifle and the finish and stock are very worn, but not abused. Looked down the barrel and the bore is bright and clear, looks like this was someones go-to gun for a long time. I pay the man, 260 bucks,and head home feeling like all is well with the world.

After getting home, I begin to clean the rifle like I do with every one I get. A very detailed cleaning is always in order when a new gun comes home. I have seen some that were pretty bad, but this one was the nastiest I have ever laid my hands on. At one time it had been slathered in grease, and that grease left to dry almost becoming a varnish. The seller was telling me how well it shot, and what weight bullets it liked. After stripping it down I wondered how a man could let a gun get this filthy and still shoot it. I started cleaning it at @ 8:30 and have just finished up.

I know I got a hell of a deal, and the rifle feels great, just needed to vent a little.

BTW, it's not a pre '64.
Let us know how it shoots.......I'd be interested in a range report!

·
Registered
463 Posts
What!!!! I'm supposed to clean my guns:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it to the range today and put a few rounds through it. Was shooting 165 gr Remington factory ammo, it has a Nikon ProStaff scope on it and was shooting from a rest. I was hoping it would be a tack-driver right from the start, but that was not the case. I got a 4 shot group at 100 yards that measured just a shade over 3 inches. While that is not great, it will work for the areas I hunt (and it is on par with every other model 70 I've owned).

I plan to try a few other loads in it to see if it prefers one over another. I believe I'll hang on to it for a while to see what I can make it do, but it won't take the place of my go to gun anytime soon. I guess there is some more tinkering to do with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
Similar to adopting an abused pet! ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Similar to adopting an abused pet! ;)
Funny you say that, my wife fosters dogs for a local animal shelter and most that come here have been abused.

I never thought of it that way, but you just gave me another argument to use when I want to bring a new one home.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts