Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really impressed with these bullets. They are very uniform and have a deep hollow point cavity. Listed on line as Military/Law Enforcement bullets @ a cost of 71 cents each (bullet only, not loaded ammo) they aren't cheep, but the video demo showed maximum expansion. These will be my dedicated carry ammo in my 45. I used Barnes load data and used 7.0 gr of Longshot @ 976 fps and an OAL of 1.235. They look perfect, but I have not shot any of them yet. This bullet is 100% all copper and the cases do not need to be belled, so case life should be extended. The bullet itself is slightly tapered at the bottom to fit the case with little or no belling. For me it was no bell at all and I could stack the bullet into the case with out any tipping or falling out.

Has anyone else tried Barnes Bullets? :D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I haven't tried the Barnes bullets, but I like your powder choice. Hopefully the bullets will perform as per spec. You might also like Speer Gold Dots, Sierra HP, or some Remington HP if you can get them. 70c per bullet is pretty spendy and the others I mentioned have a good track record for a lot less.

Go and shoot some of the Barnes and let us know how you liked them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased several 20rd boxes of Barnes Tac-xpd 140gr .40s&w for $28 each. They're listed as 1120fps on the box and they are the all copper, "techni-crom" plated projectiles. At this point, I carry them everyday in my XD service 4" and 2 spare mags.

I do not have any personal experience with the terminal ballistics of the rounds, but I did see those impressive videos online, which did sway me to purchase them at that price.

Compared to the 165/180gr fmj/jhp I use for practice, I can say I experience way less muzzle jump/recoil and noticeably less muzzle flash with the barnes rounds.

I can't comment on the feed reliability, as I've had 0 malfunctions of any kind with my XD, regardless of ammo.

All that being said, I can't say I believe that these rounds are any more effective than the other leading lead jhp's on the market (gold dots, cor-bon, etc.), and those rounds have been proven to be consistent and reliable.

For now, I am confident carrying the barnes tac-xpd. However, I feel I would be more confident with some of the more proven SD rounds.

Whichever way you decide to go, I hope you never have to find out for real if they work.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
rayikeo2, I haven't used them mainly because of their cost. I have little doubt about their performance capability. From the factory load ratings I've seen, you're velocity is a bit higher and Western loads them just above 1000 FPS with Silhouette and to 965 FPS with True Blue. Either would work for me except I would expect the True Blue loads would be more uniform with less velocity spread.

Keep us updated, I for one would be very interested in your results using LongShot. ;)

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a chance to shoot 4 rounds into water jugs and only retrieved 2 because of round jugs deflecting the bullets into some high weeds. Here are 3 pictures of 1 of them.
Retained weight 185 gr = 100%
Expanded width from flat petal edge to flat edge. = .770 at widest
Charge 7.0 gr Longshot

The recoil was very manageable.
Impact in jugs was very violent, sending water and jugs off the stand.
Conclusion: It doesn't get much better than these for self defense in my opinion. I wouldn't want to get shot with one.
Notice the petals were all uniform width because of bullets being pre creased. Creases are not visible on the bullet inside or outside of the hollow point.
Note, looking closer, some of the pre creases can be seen on the inside of the hollow core.
Fired bullet was retrieved in the 3rd jug.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Though water will always produce the most impressive results, 70 caliber holes would certainly be discouraging to any evil doer. As long as they are going where you intended them, they look very good from your testing.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I agree with JSG that water will genrally make any decent JHP expand well, as will ballistic gel. But, it still has to have enough momentum to keep penetrating. There's just too much solid evidence that concludes water testing can predict penetration in ballistic gel with only miniscule differences. I'm not even really concerned about my own testing where large water filled baggies most likely give more accurate results, but as far as using jugs, I'd definitely recommend the square types with handles at the rear and pointing in the same direction. From what I've observed using 1 gallon milk/water jugs, I don't want to see penetration go beyond 4 jugs and about 2 1/2 is what I get with standard velocity factory load 230 gr. JHPs. I've seen enough of Charles Schwartz's data to find it completely accurate, but I have not bought his book and therefore I don't know the formula used specifically. He's on the money in any case and my standards are just that: my own. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts