Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all--I just joined this forum. I am looking at the XD 45 acp 4' and had a question--the service model 4' seems to have a larger than normal grip--could anyone tell me the length of the grip? I am wanting a good firearm, but I also would like to know more about the XD before I purchase one--I assume that the length of the grip is due to the 13rd magazine? Is the XD 45 4' service model a good firearm? Everyone I have spoken with will swear by it, and some have told me that even Glock users are being converted to it...so to those who have the 45acp--could you tell me what kind of firearm it is? I looked at the Springfield site--but it did not seem to have too much information except for the height being about 5.75 inches and the length being just over 7 inches.

All information appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might consider the 4" XD45ACP Compact. It can take both the 10 round and the 13 round magazine. I have found that the 13 round magazines are more difficult to conceal. And is more a factor than barrel length. The 13 round magazine is about an inch longer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 4" compact is what I have. takes the 10-round mag for concealment and the 13-round mag for spare. Comes with both. My favorite gun of all guns. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
The XD is an excellent pistol.Of course you would expect to hear that on a XD website ;). I use to carry only Glocks.I had the 45acp & a 10mm. After shooting a XD I sold my Glocks and bought 3 new XD's. The advantages of the XD to me are a better trigger,its quicker to come to point of aim and I found them more accurate than the Glocks.

I have two in the service model and one in the Tactical. I'm more accurate with both service models than the Tactical for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
When you guys are saying 10 rd you are meaning the 10rd compact mags. They have the full size mags in 10rd for the required states. Then the compact can accept a full sized clip using an extension that slides onto the magazine. And yes, it is a tight fit and doesn't affect your grip.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If you're looking for the service models, when comparing my 9mm and .45, the 45 grip is less than one cm taller than the 9. The difference is the height of the magazine's baseplate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When you guys are saying 10 rd you are meaning the 10rd compact mags. They have the full size mags in 10rd for the required states. Then the compact can accept a full sized clip using an extension that slides onto the magazine. And yes, it is a tight fit and doesn't affect your grip.
What seems to be the issue isn't so much the height of the grip, but the girth.
I have a Smith 5906, a high-cap 9mm. And I hate the grip. I always feel like I can never get my hand around it. Sort of like holding a club rather than a pistol.
Then I bought the XD45 Bi-Tone Service, and I was hooked. I couldn't believe that it felt so much more comfortable and thinner compared to my 5906.
The height of the grip doesn't mean much unless you have a short compact pistol, and then a mag with a finger extension makes it all good again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts