Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't intended to be flamebait.

I've been on this forum a wee bit, I've seen the copious reports of malfunctions, and I've had problems with my own gun. I've come to the point where I simply can't call the XD a reliable weapon. From what I can gather, whenever you buy an XD, you got a 30% chance of picking up a rust-o-matic that is destined to break on you at some point in the future. If you're not in this unlucky group, then you've probably got a gun akin to what Leibster had when he put it through that 20,000 round torture test. But the fact that an invididual weapon can be reliable does not mean that the product line as a whole is reliable.

Given this, I think it's fair to conclude that the main competition of the XD --- the Glock --- has a distinct advantage in one (and in my eyes, only one) category: reliabilty. Problem is, that happens to be the most important category in a fighting handgun.

Until the problem is rectified, I can't personally consider the XD to be a true combat pistol in the sense of a Sig, HK, or Glock. If this problem would be rectified, not only do I think the XD would have a deserved place alongside the aforementioned brands, but it would be my favorite. But I won't be betting my life on this pistol any time soon.

Sources:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=26682
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=23678

·
Registered
143 Posts
to make such a claim you need real data on reliability over thousands of sales. as is often the case, an internet board dedicated to a particular thing will usually bring out those that have problems with said thing. the Tivo board is a prime example of that...

on edit: FWIW, my XD40 has performed great since purchase, about 1000 rounds through it so far, I really like it, and consider it reliable (so add another useless data point to the equation :))

·
Registered
115 Posts
Besides the rust issues the XD's appear to be pretty reliable. Certain small things of course, but as aforementioned, it's an XD board -- you should expect that.

EDIT: Might I add, Sigs and HK's better be expensive at nearing $1000+.

·
Registered
603 Posts
ninjadroid said:
From what I can gather, whenever you buy an XD, you got a 30% chance of picking up a rust-o-matic that is destined to break on you at some point in the future.
I don't see how having surface rust will cause your gun to break in the future. I've had rust touch my gun once after leaving it in my car for a couple days in the summer, and I wiped it off with my thumb. I'd like to see a case of an XD with surface rust fail to function properly due to said surface rust.

In any case, congratulations on reaching a decision. I have to agree with pdjplano that no real analysis can be drawn from the poll, but gather from it what you wish. It's your opinion, your right to share it, and my right to disagree with it. 8)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've had a few failure to feeds, but i don't really see that as a problem. They never happened with in the first 200 rounds and never happened while shooting good ammo. I have put 500 rounds of UMC though it and had 3 FTF's. Noting a tap and rack couldn't take care of. I have 50 Gold Dots through it with no problems at all.

Also note, that my FTF's may be mag related. I'm a dumbass and haven't marked the mags.

Either way, it's shown great reliabilty than my 1911 did.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The only reliability thing that I see is of any consequence is the .40 locking block cracking episodes and the .40 Service guide rod failures. The second of these is easily avoided w/ a solid (<plug> Don's Guide Rod </plug>) guide rod.

That, and that 3/16 roll pin breaking. I know, it's a cheap sacrificial part, but man, if that were to break at just the wrong time, it could seriously ruin your day.

·
Registered
309 Posts
mr0w1 said:
The only reliability thing that I see is of any consequence is the .40 locking block cracking episodes and the .40 Service guide rod failures. The second of these is easily avoided w/ a solid (<plug> Don's Guide Rod </plug>) guide rod.

That, and that 3/16 roll pin breaking. I know, it's a cheap sacrificial part, but man, if that were to break at just the wrong time, it could seriously ruin your day.
I have a 9mm with a cracked locking block.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would have liked to see a Glocktalk in the early 80's as glocks were becoming popular.

Do you honestly think it would look any different than this site?

People come here to get help w/ their problems.

In a couple of years XD's will take over, their advantages far outweigh a couple of problems, that are fixed under the LIFETIME WARRANTY!

in fact that warranty is one of the major reasons I purchased my fine firearm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok first hand experience with the warranty issues..
My locking block was replaced with the newer one. So if you buy a newer model (one with two cross slits on the rail) then you do not have to worry about the locking block issue.
next the recoil assembly ... if you buy a tactical it is a solid non-captive spring.
Now the wear/rust and finsih on the coating...my service had a unusual wearing ..they recoated it at SA with their armory coat...while that pistol was out I picked up a XD tactical..and the newer models seem to have a better finish .. basically my finish was not the grey brunial but more like the black SA armory coat...
I am using a light coat of blue wonder Blue Wonder™ Disotec XFR and then using armadillo... over it .. i just use a dry soft cloth and rub the dry armadillo into the slide and with the xfr it is easy to apply and stays put and looks great
good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of these "minor" problems that have been mentioned: envision them occurring to you in the middle of a gunfight. Not so minor now, are they?

Further, that you are required to send your gun out for service, and restricted from purchasing and installing a circa $10.00 part directly, is egregiously we-todd-ed.

As for $1000 HKs and Sigs --- those are the exception, not the rule. And if you intend to enter a gunfight with an X5, I intend to laugh at you.

Last, if forums really do bring out the worst in a product, take a look at the Sig, Glock, and HK forums. Doesn't make the XD look any better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
well this thread was ok, until your last post.

you obviously have made your decision, so I think you can go troll somewhere else.

·
Registered
81 Posts
EDIT: Might I add, Sigs and HK's better be expensive at nearing $1000+.
Ok, the only HK's and Sig's I've looked at that are over 1000 dollars are onces not suited to civilian defensive use. The SOCOM, Expert and tactical are just too big.

And the X-Five's and what not are just to nice.

On the other hand a regular USP or USPc (or the P2000) can be had for around 800 same with a P226 or P229.

I've had a few failure to feeds, but i don't really see that as a problem. They never happened with in the first 200 rounds and never happened while shooting good ammo. I have put 500 rounds of UMC though it and had 3 FTF's. Noting a tap and rack couldn't take care of. I have 50 Gold Dots through it with no problems at all.

Also note, that my FTF's may be mag related. I'm a dumbass and haven't marked the mags.

Either way, it's shown great reliabilty than my 1911 did.
Ok, so you have 500 rd's of ammo through your gun and 3 FTF's (I assume failure to feed's). That's not pointing to great reliablity right there. On the same note 50 Gold Dot's hardly qualifys the gun as being reliable enough for carry. I'd put at least a few hundred more before I'd trust it. Oh and saying a gun is more reliable that a 1911 is like saying water is wet. :D

It seems a lot of people here who say there guns are very reliable have pittifully low round counts.

As for the finish. Ok guys it's 2005 now. These aren't blued guns. You shouldn't need to coat your baby in a protective lubricant of some sort to prevent it from rusting.

As for the locking block cracking. Radiusing hard corners is a basic engineering princple. Something that should have been picked up on before the gun hit it's 4 or 5th version. Same with the guide rod's failling.

So execpt for the fact that they have crappy finish's, what appears to be a high number of failures to feed and extract, and issues with large chunks of metal inside the gun failling they are fine fighting sidearms.

I would love to see a cross sample of these guns under go the testing that the HK, Sig and glock have been through for various goverment agency's and PD's. Until that day...

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
ninjadroid said:
Last, if forums really do bring out the worst in a product, take a look at the Sig, Glock, and HK forums. Doesn't make the XD look any better.
GlockTalk has an entire forum for problems as well, and from what I saw reading both before I bought my XD, Glocks have problems too at times :)

Again, if you really want to be taken seriously, IMO, posting random musings on forums without real numbers to back up your claims is pointless. You need real data on error rates over thousands of guns to make any claim of one brand being better than another.

·
Registered
81 Posts
pdjplano said:
ninjadroid said:
GlockTalk has an entire forum for problems as well, and from what I saw reading both before I bought my XD, Glocks have problems too at times :)

Again, if you really want to be taken seriously, IMO, posting random musings on forums without real numbers to back up your claims is pointless. You need real data on error rates over thousands of guns to make any claim of one brand being better than another.
Or you can let the goverment do it for you. How many shoot off's has the XD won? How many shoot off's has the Sig, HK and Glock's won? How many agency's approve the XD for carry.

Even with Springfield marketing to the LEO demographic the response has been less than overwhelming.

Chris

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
crofrog said:
Ok, so you have 500 rd's of ammo through your gun and 3 FTF's (I assume failure to feed's). That's not pointing to great reliablity right there. On the same note 50 Gold Dot's hardly qualifys the gun as being reliable enough for carry. I'd put at least a few hundred more before I'd trust it. Oh and saying a gun is more reliable that a 1911 is like saying water is wet. :D

It seems a lot of people here who say there guns are very reliable have pittifully low round counts.
Chris
"Pittifully low round counts" come from not having a lot of money to piss away. If you don't feel the gun is "reliable enough for carry" well that's ok, I'm the one carrying it, not you.

So, if my gun fails to feed on round number 237 out of 250 it's not reliable?

·
Registered
143 Posts
crofrog said:
pdjplano said:
ninjadroid said:

Or you can let the goverment do it for you. How many shoot off's has the XD won? How many shoot off's has the Sig, HK and Glock's won? How many agency's approve the XD for carry.
Great idea, please link for me all the test results that are published that have the XD go up against those others, I'd love to see the results. If they are available, then they should show you are correct. Can't wait to see them, thanks for posting them in advance!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
ninjadroid said:
All of these "minor" problems that have been mentioned: envision them occurring to you in the middle of a gunfight. Not so minor now, are they?
You have a greater chance of winning the lottery, making a hole-in-one, and being struck by lightning in the same day than being in an actual gun fight with a mal-functioning XD.

For the record, there is no 100% reliable pistol in the world.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Son of Norway said:
ninjadroid said:
You have a greater chance of winning the lottery, making a hole-in-one, and being struck by lightning in the same day than being in an actual gun fight with a mal-functioning XD.
Considering he doesn't an own an XD any more you are probally correct.

For the record, there is no 100% reliable pistol in the world.
No but there are a lot that better than the XD.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats too bad you don't like them. I guess thats one more for one of us that does to add to our collections.

Now go troll somewere else.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.