Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....

This whole want to mod my gun started when my buddy picked up a 5.25" XDm and I fell in love with his fiber optic sights.

I did some research and decided that due to the glowing reviews and close proximity from my home, I'd go with Rich.

Due to the high cost of handgun shipping he allowed me to drop my XDm off to him personally...something I really happy about. I took it up to him exactly 4 weeks ago and dropped it off. The meeting was short and I returned home. Rich originally told me via email (something he is prompt at returning BTW) that I should expect 4-6 weeks for the work I wanted done (see below). It took him less than 4 as he called me personally last Tue to tell me it was done.

I went and picked it up from him today and found that I couldn't be more pleased with the work...I was also shocked by his hospitality and extreme depth of firearm knowledge. he took time out of his day to fully explain his work in detail and also told me enough firearm tidbits that to be honest with you, my head hurt a little after I left...that guy REALLY knows his firearms inside and out.

I took my black/OD green first run 9mm 4.5" to him to get the following work done:

-Installation of Kensight fully adjustable sights and front F/O sight
-Cross cut slot the slide
-Refinish the slide in KG Gun Kote OD green to match the frame
-Smooth trigger face
-Full trigger job (I requested 3.5# pull)

Rich did a superb job, I have zero complaints. As good as the sights are, I must say I am most impressed with the trigger. He truely had XD/m's down to a science...it is smooth as glass and the once terrible lenght of travel, creep and over travel is now gone and replaced with a crisp, short throw trigger with a TINY amount of reset.

It goes without saying that I simply could not wait to take it out so I made a range trip with 3 off my friends...one owning a 5.25" 9mm XDm and the other owning a 3.8" 9mm XDm. Both are stock. Needless to say yhte initial presentation met with "Oooo's" and "Aaaah's"...as you can see in the pics, it really is a sharp looking pistol.

As nice as it may have looked however, shooting it was even better. The trigger is dran near flawless...miles beyond stock and for the cost of a drop in kit. Like stock it was more accurate than I am but the F/O sight made shooting easier as well...I love it. Rich much have sighted it in for me as I didn't even have to adjust the rear to get a clean 5 shot 1" group from 25' (feet...not years).

All-in-all I can say I am beyond pleased with Rich and Canyon Creek...my XDm is even better an I couldn't be happier. Rich was also a joy to work with and I will not hesitate to push business his way in the future. (Rich, if you're reading this...thanks again!!!)

·
Registered
464 Posts
WOW!!!!
That is beautiful.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's a kool looking piece. How is the recoil flip now that the front end is lighter? I always read that you want the front weighted more to reduce recoil flip (like Tungsten guide rod)? If you're grouping like you say, I guess it's not an issue, eh?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a kool looking piece. How is the recoil flip now that the front end is lighter? I always read that you want the front weighted more to reduce recoil flip (like Tungsten guide rod)? If you're grouping like you say, I guess it's not an issue, eh?
I just removed moving mass from the slide. A while ago, I added a solid 3oz guide rod to help lower the gun's center of gravity. Adding more weight to the lower, non moving end with help with muzzle flip. (On a side note, taking weight from the slide is a tricky thing, if you take too much it can cause feeding issues. That's why I left it in the hands of Rich)

Recoil felt fine actually...I will admit the trigger got the best of me two times out of the 120 or so rounds I ran through it...twice I accidentally double tap'd when I didn't mean to, that trigger is so much lighter than before, it will take some getting used to. The stocker was much more difficult to cycle so old habits die hard and I had too much pepper on my trigger finger.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Really Beautiful!

How much did it cost?
Rich has all of his prices online.

I've never had him do any work for me, but (based on years of reading about his work) he's the man I'd go to, in a heart beat.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rich has all of his prices online.

I've never had him do any work for me, but (based on years of reading about his work) he's the man I'd go to, in a heart beat.
You wouldn't regret it either...he is GREAT to deal with and extremely knowledgeable. I will 100% stick with him for anything I need in the future, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That thing looks fantastic! Dadgummit . . . now I'm stuck in looking into this. You did great in the color and I really, really like the "slotted" slide alot! I'll check his fee schedule.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That thing looks fantastic! Dadgummit . . . now I'm stuck in looking into this. You did great in the color and I really, really like the "slotted" slide alot! Guess you have to call for a price?
Nah...he has a pricing order sheet you can download from his site. The slotted slide was only $75...I couldn't pass at that price. There's something about a slotted slide I've always loved...not a fan of the coffin cut though...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts