Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and figured I should sign up here as a new and fellow XD owner.

I did long hours of research before picking my gun. I looked at Ruger, Sig Sauer, Taurus, and Glock. I saw a lot of impressive stuff, but when I saw the XD I knew I had found "the one".

It came with a pair of magazines, cleaning brush and gun lock. My parents like it as a first gun because of the extra safety features. I like that it holds 16 rounds and has more affordable ammo. I can't wait to get it to the range to shoot it.

I still have about $440 dollars left to spend. I was thinking about either buying some magazines for it, or the Springfield .45 1911. What do you guys think?

Also what about high capacity mags, night sights or flashlight?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice, my 9mm xd is waiting for me at the shop. As far as add-ons go most of the guys here say (and I agree) hold off on upgrades till you put some rounds thru it. Personally I would use some of the cash for ammo...200-300rds for me...and save the rest for now...also if you don't have a boar-snake for it I would get one...but that's just me, most of the guys around here have been at this much longer then me and my have better advice.
good luck, enjoy...
-KzBoy

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the 32 round pro-mags - would it be worth getting one of those? Or should I stick to factory mags? Where can I get the best deals on magazines?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think midwayusa.com has decent prices, if no other sales anywhere.

But yeah, a couple mags, a decent cleaning kit (better brushes/ cleaner & lube or CLP, patches, etc), and ammo.

I picked up a smaller fabric case for storage, and a Midway USA range bag for holding everything together (cleanign kit, ammo, eye/ear protection, gun).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Keep an eye on midway usa for magazine sales, probably next month as it seems the run them on sale every 3 months. I would buy more ammo and 3 more mags on sale, not the 32 rounder, just my 2 cents, and then I would get some night sights. Good Luck and have fun!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'd say you are on the right track, you did your research, and found what you wanted. Instead of purchasing another gun (as tempting as it may be), do as Murr sugested. Skip the accessories for now and get used to the gun. Buy lots of ammo, cleaning kit, eyes & ears, and go out to practice as much as you possibly can. $440 will get you everything you need, plus enough ammo to break in your gun and then some.

Stay away from the 32 round mags. I've heard nothing but bad things about them.

Enjoy the new toy!

·
Registered
403 Posts
and figured I should sign up here as a new and fellow XD owner.

I did long hours of research before picking my gun. I looked at Ruger, Sig Sauer, Taurus, and Glock. I saw a lot of impressive stuff, but when I saw the XD I knew I had found "the one".

It came with a pair of magazines, cleaning brush and gun lock. My parents like it as a first gun because of the extra safety features. I like that it holds 16 rounds and has more affordable ammo. I can't wait to get it to the range to shoot it.

I still have about $440 dollars left to spend. I was thinking about either buying some magazines for it, or the Springfield .45 1911. What do you guys think?

Also what about high capacity mags, night sights or flashlight?
Buy some regular mags and lots of ammo. Surplus Ammo has good prices. I usually grab a couple thousand rounds of S&B when I go. Currently that's going for about $365: 9mm 115 Grain FMJ Sellier & Bellot - 2000 Rounds - Surplus Ammo

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I have to admit it was very hard to turn down the 1911, but the cost of .45 and lower capacity were the difference. I'd still love to have one though.

What brands of ammo do you recommend for the XD? Does it have any trouble with the surplus stuff?

On a side note my dad has a S&W Sigma, he likes the XD so much he may trade it in.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...I'd say you can't have enough ammo...:)

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana! Congrats on the new 9mm and remember there is no such thing as too much ammo or too many mags.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Thanks guys. I have to admit it was very hard to turn down the 1911, but the cost of .45 and lower capacity were the difference. I'd still love to have one though.

What brands of ammo do you recommend for the XD? Does it have any trouble with the surplus stuff?

On a side note my dad has a S&W Sigma, he likes the XD so much he may trade it in.
The XD should shoot pretty much anything. The ammo CarlosT linked above should be just fine. I actually like S&B quite a bit. I think your dad trading the Sigma for an XD would be a wise choice. I owned a Sigma for a bit, it was reliable and accurate but the trigger was horrible. I didn't keep it for long...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome 711, I'm new here also. LOTS of good info and advice on this site. I agree with the ammo and mags. Lots of both. My LGS takes in used pistols with 2 mags and then sells one for around $15. I would look to see if you have something like that around. I have 7 mags for my forty and spent have price for little used mags. Good shooting to you

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should I order factory mags or are there any good after market brands?

And are you sure I should hold off on the 1911? It is hard to resist!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

Personally I would stick with factory mags. I recommend holding off on the 1911 for a bit. Since the XD is your first gun, you should really practice to become as proficient with it as possible. Two very different guns could possibly throw you of a bit. Its not a bad idea to look into some sort of professional training either.

·
Registered
403 Posts

I haven't looked into any aftermarket brands, but the factory mags go on sale periodically, so you should be able to find a decent price on them before too long.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Don't get another gun. Learn and enjoy the one you have.

And, good luck getting a Springfield .45 1911. for $440 OTD. They are going around her for $560 GI and $640 Mil Spec. And, there is a 3 month wait.

Learn what you have. You can upgrade this one later it you want.

Enjoy and Welcome!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I was looking at the 1911 for the purpose of a nightstand gun with its 45 stopping power. I chose the XD for ammo cost and capacity, for carry and range shooting.

Different roles in mind. The 1911 is a beautiful American piece, but I'm so happy with my XD!

By the way, just because this is my first gun doesn't mean I don't know how to shoot or anything. I put quite a few rounds through my dad's .40 Sigma and .22 rifles. The Sigma is a pretty good gun, and I considered it, but I think I'm going to like this so much more!

I'll take it to the range in the next week or so, whenever I get a chance. I'll keep you guys posted on how it performs.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Well I was looking at the 1911 for the purpose of a nightstand gun with its 45 stopping power. I chose the XD for ammo cost and capacity, for carry and range shooting.

Different roles in mind. The 1911 is a beautiful American piece, but I'm so happy with my XD!

By the way, just because this is my first gun doesn't mean I don't know how to shoot or anything. I put quite a few rounds through my dad's .40 Sigma and .22 rifles. The Sigma is a pretty good gun, and I considered it, but I think I'm going to like this so much more!

I'll take it to the range in the next week or so, whenever I get a chance. I'll keep you guys posted on how it performs.
I'm hearing ya, but I also gotta say that, I've got an XD9 as my primary of primaries, for any use, and it will put a big enough hole in anything you might need, if you use most any modern day ammo.

Granted some brands do perform better than others, but quite a few will expand to about 3/4", and the real key is placement, and penetration, anyway.

So,
My suggestion is gonna be like a few others.
Buy ammo, a good holster, and whatever you want/need to keep it cleaned and lubed ... And go shoot the thing !!!
Shoot it until you get tired of shooting it.
Shoot it until you KNOW that you can grab it, at a moments notice, and hit whatever you need to hit, without a need to do more than point in the direction and squeeze ... Then think about getting a more expensive to shoot, but nice to have, 45 ;)

Heck,
Buy a 22 pistol and try to burn the barrel up.
Get a Browning and just abuse the snot out of it ... See if you can go through 2 big boxes (+1000 rounds) without cleaning (I did such a few years ago, lots of fun).
This will also give you something to tinker with (gunsmith) while the XD does it's duty, and you hone those skills.

Guns grow, remember that ;)

Also,
Welcome to the forum and too gun ownership :D :cool:

Give us a range update this weekend if ya can.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts