Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys! Just got my cm9 very cool gun!
As I take it appart, after the slide release pin is taken out the slide move forward about 1/3 inch... I need to rack the slide a little bit backward before I can pull the trigger in order to release the slide... Is this normal?!
In other word if I just remove the pin and try to pull the trigger I cant! Wtf!

Do u guys have the same issue?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Guys! Just got my cm9 very cool gun!
As I take it appart, after the slide release pin is taken out the slide move forward about 1/3 inch... I need to rack the slide a little bit backward before I can pull the trigger in order to release the slide... Is this normal?!
In other word if I just remove the pin and try to pull the trigger I cant! Wtf!

Do u guys have the same issue?!

Thanks!
Can't remember exactly whether I had to do this or not ... but I think I might have.

I just got a CM9 less than a week ago and had a little difficulty ...the first time ...getting the slide to release completely and take it off the frame as well. The manual tells you to: "5. With the slide Stop removed, pull the trigger to release the Striker, then relax pressure on the Trigger and push the slide forward off the Frame."

My guess is that because Kahrs are very 'tight/stiff' when new...this process may not be quite as fluid or easy as some other handguns when disassembling them. Mine seemed to hang up when I was trying to push the slide forward...I don't think I followed the trigger pull instructions completely to a 'T'.

I disassembled my CM9 a second time before taking it to the range to put some ProShop Pro Gold grease/lubricant on the steel rails embedded in the frame. The disassembly and reassembly was much easier the second time. Took it to the range and shot it approx. 70 rounds with no issues whatsoever. Re-cleaned and lubricated after the range trip and it's ready to go for my next range visit. Agan ...disassembly and reassembly was a piece of cake.

As an aside, the manual tells you to tap the Slide Stop out using a non-marring hammer or or plastic screwdriver handle ...which is a little awkward and difficult to maneuver while holding the slide back in the proper position to remove the Slide Stop. I have since found that is not necessary ...if you hold the slide back in the proper position with the alignment marks matched....you can simply push the pin partially out with your finger, then pull it out the rest of the way from the left side.

One more tip: You might want to follow most of the advise over here:
Proper prep of a new kahr

...and don't forget to follow step #2 ...which is not mentioned in your Kahr manual! I followed much of the advise but not all. I didn't disassemble my magazines (I bought a second before my first range trip) ...and only racked the slide approx. 200 times...not 500 times before my first range trip. I did find the slide to be stiff as well and seemed to hang up if I didn't release it quickly enough from a full pull back. And remeber ...in my experience ...even with these minor annoyance 'issues' ...my CM9 still performed flawlessly at the range on my first outing!

Hope this helps!

Lastly ...I'd advise you to lighten up and not let this little quirk on your first disassembly bug you so much! After you clean and lube the gun ...just go out and shoot it at the range. That should help to

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I was fondling a consignment CW-45 at the gun shop Friday, the shop owner asked me if I knew how to strip it, I said "no" but I did it anyway lol. It had had some rounds through it but still needed the nudge to get the slide off after pulling the trigger.
The slide stop is held in with a spring clip like my CZs, when you get the index marks lined up just push the pin from the other side with the corner of the plastic base on the mag, works great.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can't remember exactly whether I had to do this or not ... but I think I might have.

I just got a CM9 less than a week ago and had a little difficulty ...the first time ...getting the slide to release completely and take it off the frame as well. The manual tells you to: "5. With the slide Stop removed, pull the trigger to release the Striker, then relax pressure on the Trigger and push the slide forward off the Frame."

My guess is that because Kahrs are very 'tight/stiff' when new...this process may not be quite as fluid or easy as some other handguns when disassembling them. Mine seemed to hang up when I was trying to push the slide forward...I don't think I followed the trigger pull instructions completely to a 'T'.

I disassembled my CM9 a second time before taking it to the range to put some ProShop Pro Gold grease/lubricant on the steel rails embedded in the frame. The disassembly and reassembly was much easier the second time. Took it to the range and shot it approx. 70 rounds with no issues whatsoever. Re-cleaned and lubricated after the range trip and it's ready to go for my next range visit. Agan ...disassembly and reassembly was a piece of cake.

As an aside, the manual tells you to tap the Slide Stop out using a non-marring hammer or or plastic screwdriver handle ...which is a little awkward and difficult to maneuver while holding the slide back in the proper position to remove the Slide Stop. I have since found that is not necessary ...if you hold the slide back in the proper position with the alignment marks matched....you can simply push the pin partially out with your finger, then pull it out the rest of the way from the left side.

One more tip: You might want to follow most of the advise over here:
Proper prep of a new kahr

...and don't forget to follow step #2 ...which is not mentioned in your Kahr manual! I followed much of the advise but not all. I didn't disassemble my magazines (I bought a second before my first range trip) ...and only racked the slide approx. 200 times...not 500 times before my first range trip. I did find the slide to be stiff as well and seemed to hang up if I didn't release it quickly enough from a full pull back. And remeber ...in my experience ...even with these minor annoyance 'issues' ...my CM9 still performed flawlessly at the range on my first outing!

Hope this helps!

Lastly ...I'd advise you to lighten up and not let this little quirk on your first disassembly bug you so much! After you clean and lube the gun ...just go out and shoot it at the range. That should help to
THANKS A LOT!
Great info, I had such a high expectation from this little gun lol

Great write up!

PS: sorry for ur mag...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was fondling a consignment CW-45 at the gun shop Friday, the shop owner asked me if I knew how to strip it, I said "no" but I did it anyway lol. It had had some rounds through it but still needed the nudge to get the slide off after pulling the trigger.
The slide stop is held in with a spring clip like my CZs, when you get the index marks lined up just push the pin from the other side with the corner of the plastic base on the mag, works great.
Yea same here... wiggle and rack the slide a little and its a go!
just weird coming from a XD... or even a Glock =(

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have PM9 and if you let the slide move forward after pulling the slide stop pin.....you can not release the striker by pulling the trigger. FWIW
I think it's normal.....that is why they say to hold the slide in place while pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have PM9 and if you let the slide move forward after pulling the slide stop pin.....you can not release the striker by pulling the trigger. FWIW
I think it's normal.....that is why they say to hold the slide in place while pulling the trigger.
Agreed! But if you watch their vids it seams that the slide do not move forward and the guy just pull the trig...
He does not hold the slide back and just press the trigger :(

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Agreed! But if you watch their vids it seams that the slide do not move forward and the guy just pull the trig...
He does not hold the slide back and just press the trigger :(
Ever heard the expression of "Making a mountain our of a mole hill"?

Don't you think you may be obsessing a little too much about this "issue". Are you trying to talk yourself into being disappointed with your new CM9? Have you actually gone out and shot your CM9 at a range yet?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that all Kahrs ...or all CM9s are perfect and without any issues. Go over to kahrtalk.com and you'll find that a few ....not that many ...but a few people have had 'real' issues with their new CM9 or other Kahr handgun. You'll also see that most people that own a Kahr ...whether it's a CM or PM ...or CW ...love them ...even some of the ones that had issues wouldn't part with them! That should tell you something!

I've heard that Kahr has excellent customer service people ...so if your really concerned about your CM9 ...give them a call and voice your concerns with them!

So far ...like I mentioned earlier ...other than a similar encounter in the disassembly of my CM9 (which is my first Kahr handgun) ....as you had ...I went ahead and shot mine at a range and found that it "loosened up" a little to where disassembly and reassembly is more fluid.

My advise would to be unless you have valid safety concerns about the normal operation of your new CM9 ....to just forget about this "issue' ...and just go out to a range and start enjoying your new purchase. ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ever heard the expression of "Making a mountain our of a mole hill"?

Don't you think you may be obsessing a little too much about this "issue". Are you trying to talk yourself into being disappointed with your new CM9? Have you actually gone out and shot your CM9 at a range yet?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that all Kahrs ...or all CM9s are perfect and without any issues. Go over to kahrtalk.com and you'll find that a few ....not that many ...but a few people have had 'real' issues with their new CM9 or other Kahr handgun. You'll also see that most people that own a Kahr ...whether it's a CM or PM ...or CW ...love them ...even some of the ones that had issues wouldn't part with them! That should tell you something!

I've heard that Kahr has excellent customer service people ...so if your really concerned about your CM9 ...give them a call and voice your concerns with them!

So far ...like I mentioned earlier ...other than a similar encounter in the disassembly of my CM9 (which is my first Kahr handgun) ....as you had ...I went ahead and shot mine at a range and found that it "loosened up" a little to where disassembly and reassembly is more fluid.

My advise would to be unless you have valid safety concerns about the normal operation of your new CM9 ....to just forget about this "issue' ...and just go out to a range and start enjoying your new purchase. ;)
Actually... I am not that concerned about this issue, i might sound a little different over the Internet :)
So far I do like the gun (not shot it yet...) I understand that it would loose it up a little and the disassembly would be easier, but this is not really the concern, what bothers me a little is that I need to rack the slide back in order to pull the trigger and ultimately get the slide off :(
And all the fuzz was to make sure u guys Had the same "problem"
:cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually... I am not that concerned about this issue, i might sound a little different over the Internet :)
So far I do like the gun (not shot it yet...) I understand that it would loose it up a little and the disassembly would be easier, but this is not really the concern, what bothers me a little is that I need to rack the slide back in order to pull the trigger and ultimately get the slide off :(
And all the fuzz was to make sure u guys Had the same "problem"
:cool:
Gahau,
I see you did get the CM9 Congrats!
This disassembly "issue" you describe is normal.

In fact, I always after removing the slide stop/pin, pull the slide back to it's normal firing position before pulling the trigger. It aligns the cocking cam correctly to the striker/striker safety plunger and IMO avoids potential "issues" and also any possible wear caused by pulling it out of alignment.
It also utilizes the recoil spring power to help "push" the slide off the frame smoothly.
This is just how I do it, so do what you want, but I have heard of and tried to help more then a few people who got their slide "stuck" when trying to disassemble their Kahr.

Kahr's are not like Glock's or XD's. They are like Kahr's and have some very important Kahr specific way's thing's need to be done. I suggest reading the manual closely to help avoid any future "issues"

Some stuff off the top of my head you should know:

The "chip" in the frame rail is normal.

Make sure the open end of the recoil spring is towards the muzzle.

When you re-install the slide pay close attention to the placement of the slide pin in the barrel lug, it must go in the kidney shaped hole not in front of it.

Use care to not bend the small spring when you insert the slide stop lever into the frame. Start at 4 o'clock then move it to 3 o'clock being careful the small spring goes on top of the landing and fits in the small groove.

Thes are just a few helpful hint's you need to know. You should go over to Kahrtalk and do some reading to get more info and learn about your new Kahr:)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gahau,
I see you did get the CM9 Congrats!
This disassembly "issue" you describe is normal.

In fact, I always after removing the slide stop/pin, pull the slide back to it's normal firing position before pulling the trigger. It aligns the cocking cam correctly to the striker/striker safety plunger and IMO avoids potential "issues" and also any possible wear caused by pulling it out of alignment.
It also utilizes the recoil spring power to help "push" the slide off the frame smoothly.
This is just how I do it, so do what you want, but I have heard of and tried to help more then a few people who got their slide "stuck" when trying to disassemble their Kahr.

Kahr's are not like Glock's or XD's. They are like Kahr's and have some very important Kahr specific way's thing's need to be done. I suggest reading the manual closely to help avoid any future "issues"

Some stuff off the top of my head you should know:

The "chip" in the frame rail is normal.

Make sure the open end of the recoil spring is towards the muzzle.

When you re-install the slide pay close attention to the placement of the slide pin in the barrel lug, it must go in the kidney shaped hole not in front of it.

Use care to not bend the small spring when you insert the slide stop lever into the frame. Start at 4 o'clock then move it to 3 o'clock being careful the small spring goes on top of the landing and fits in the small groove.

Thes are just a few helpful hint's you need to know. You should go over to Kahrtalk and do some reading to get more info and learn about your new Kahr:)
Coooool thanks a lot buddy! very helpful stuff!
I just noticed the "ding" on the rail right before reading your post lol, but it was way to circular to have been an accident lol

·
Registered
60 Posts

:)
With pin partially inserted, I found I had to keep the inside 'edge of the slide lock against the frame as I moved it upward from 4:00 to 3:00, and as it reached the opening it caught the little spring on the 'ledge' as it popped in. I was very concerned about the mechanics of this step, but it went well and I'm sure it will be easier as my confidence grows with each repetition.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Only problem I've had out of mine is purely cosmetic, as in when I took off the recoil spring the sharp edge on the closed end left a gnarly scratch down the guide rod. Do I care? Not really. Awesome weapon, I highly recommend it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts